WDS/Tiller Winter Sale Starts Today

Started by Rayfer, December 16, 2022, 10:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2023, 06:33:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2023, 05:39:25 PM
I'm such a jerk. I wait until AFTER the sale to decide I must have an additional three titles.  :2funny:

Meh...I'm happy to support development in 2023.

Just curious what (3) did you pick up?  I was having a hard time choosing between some squad battles, modern air, and Napoleonic titles.

Naval Campaigns Midway and both Strategic War titles, The First Blitzkrieg and War on the Southern Front.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Strela

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2023, 07:55:36 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 05, 2023, 06:33:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2023, 05:39:25 PM
I'm such a jerk. I wait until AFTER the sale to decide I must have an additional three titles.  :2funny:

Meh...I'm happy to support development in 2023.

Just curious what (3) did you pick up?  I was having a hard time choosing between some squad battles, modern air, and Napoleonic titles.

Naval Campaigns Midway and both Strategic War titles, The First Blitzkrieg and War on the Southern Front.

I really like the Strategic War titles, they are not beer & pretzel, but are easy to get into and have some really interesting scenarios such as the Balkans in 1941.

We just need to build some more titles using the engine!

Jarhead0331

^yes. I think the series is often overlooked and I've seen particularly the First Blitzkrieg receive a fair amount of criticism with many saying the covered battles are handled better elsewhere. However, there isn't a lot of detailed Impression information on the titles out there and what I've seen looks impressive, so I will just find out for myself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2023, 06:10:31 AM
^yes. I think the series is often overlooked and I've seen particularly the First Blitzkrieg receive a fair amount of criticism with many saying the covered battles are handled better elsewhere. However, there isn't a lot of detailed Impression information on the titles out there and what I've seen looks impressive, so I will just find out for myself.

When you get around to it, would be interested in your impressions.  Like you, I have seen in various places where people seemed to imply these titles were lacking in some way so I have stayed away from them.  They don't seemed to be talked about much to gain enough intel on them  Based on the title/scale, I assume there must be tons of counters which is another reason I have stayed away, just prefer the small and more manageable scales.  But maybe I am wrong about this.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2023, 07:21:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2023, 06:10:31 AM
^yes. I think the series is often overlooked and I've seen particularly the First Blitzkrieg receive a fair amount of criticism with many saying the covered battles are handled better elsewhere. However, there isn't a lot of detailed Impression information on the titles out there and what I've seen looks impressive, so I will just find out for myself.

When you get around to it, would be interested in your impressions.  Like you, I have seen in various places where people seemed to imply these titles were lacking in some way so I have stayed away from them.  They don't seemed to be talked about much to gain enough intel on them  Based on the title/scale, I assume there must be tons of counters which is another reason I have stayed away, just prefer the small and more manageable scales.  But maybe I am wrong about this.

At 10 kilometer hexes, 2 days per turn and division level units, the scale has kept me away too. But after years of waiting and the winter sale just ending, I figured now would be the perfect time to jump in.  :idiot2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2023, 07:27:16 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2023, 07:21:30 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2023, 06:10:31 AM
^yes. I think the series is often overlooked and I've seen particularly the First Blitzkrieg receive a fair amount of criticism with many saying the covered battles are handled better elsewhere. However, there isn't a lot of detailed Impression information on the titles out there and what I've seen looks impressive, so I will just find out for myself.

When you get around to it, would be interested in your impressions.  Like you, I have seen in various places where people seemed to imply these titles were lacking in some way so I have stayed away from them.  They don't seemed to be talked about much to gain enough intel on them  Based on the title/scale, I assume there must be tons of counters which is another reason I have stayed away, just prefer the small and more manageable scales.  But maybe I am wrong about this.

At 10 kilometer hexes, 2 days per turn and division level units, the scale has kept me away too. But after years of waiting and the winter sale just ending, I figured now would be the perfect time to jump in.  :idiot2:

Too funny:)  Hope it turns out well for you and maybe becomes a consideration for some of us in the next sale:)

ArizonaTank

An unexpected holiday cash bonanza allowed me to fill my WDS cart up to the BulkOrders level. I bought enough of them to keep me busy for a long time.

Frankly I have a love / mild dislike relationship with WDS/JTS titles.

Love them for their detail, number of scenarios, and breathtaking scope of historical offerings. I also love the dedication of WDS to supporting their games. Even love them for releasing some very meaty "free" demos. Most of demos are great stand-alone games on their own.

On the neutral side, the AI is usually OK as a sparring partner. But in some scenarios, the AI does seem to be trying hard for the "Stupid AI Trick of the Year" award (in their defense, many scenarios note when they are not suitable for solo play against the AI). The games are great for PBEM however (except for the nearly medieval 20th century methods you have to use to trade files with your opponent).

On the negative side, I still wince a bit whenever I start to play a WDS game and I am confronted with an interface that has only seen cosmetic changes since the last century. I do have to admit however that the games are functional; the antiquated UI doesn't stop me from buying or playing the games...;)



Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Jarhead0331

^i'm right there with you. The games are far from perfect. What seals it for me though are the glorious OOBs and TOEs. The sheer weight, diversity and completeness of the units and equipment holds such historical interest for me and makes the games worth owning as a companion to my reading and research.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Tripoli

Quote from: ArizonaTank on January 06, 2023, 11:16:28 AM
An unexpected holiday cash bonanza allowed me to fill my WDS cart up to the BulkOrders level. I bought enough of them to keep me busy for a long time.

Frankly I have a love / mild dislike relationship with WDS/JTS titles.

Love them for their detail, number of scenarios, and breathtaking scope of historical offerings. I also love the dedication of WDS to supporting their games. Even love them for releasing some very meaty "free" demos. Most of demos are great stand-alone games on their own.

On the neutral side, the AI is usually OK as a sparring partner. But in some scenarios, the AI does seem to be trying hard for the "Stupid AI Trick of the Year" award (in their defense, many scenarios note when they are not suitable for solo play against the AI). The games are great for PBEM however (except for the nearly medieval 20th century methods you have to use to trade files with your opponent).

On the negative side, I still wince a bit whenever I start to play a WDS game and I am confronted with an interface that has only seen cosmetic changes since the last century. I do have to admit however that the games are functional; the antiquated UI doesn't stop me from buying or playing the games...;)

I have similar feelings about the WDS civil War titles.  I own all of them, but the AI is terrible.  However, I believe they are working on an update to improve the AI.  I assume it will cost something, as stuff like that is not free, but I would gladly pay a reasonable (say $10/title) to upgrade the AI. 

As you point out, the advantage of the WDS/JTS games is the sheer number of battles covered.  And the system is relatively simple so that games vs. human players are easy to arrange and play.  And despite the relative simplicity of the games, they are sufficiently complex to satisfy the Grognard in me.  And despite the AI, I find them useful as a study aid when reading about a battle.  I can play a game against the AI, then pick up a book about the battle and the book makes much more sense to me.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln