East Palestine train derailment

Started by al_infierno, February 13, 2023, 07:24:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windigo

Quote from: Gusington on February 17, 2023, 02:48:39 PMSupposedly here in semi-upstate NY the rain we had today was heavily acidified from what happened in Ohio  :grumpy:

Given the level of smoke coming from the burn off, I would suggest there was some nasty incomplete combustion of the chemical involved.
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Burning vinyl chloride produces a lot of nasty byproducts.  Hydrogen chloride is one.  Once an HCL molecule binds with water, it produces hydrochloric acid so acid rain and acidic waterways is to be expected. 

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Groggy

''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

Groggy

So it wasn't the county that declared the water in East Palestine safe. Those results haven't even come in yet.

It was a company contracted by Norfolk Southern.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ohio-train-disaster-water-sampling_n_63ef034be4b022eb3e35e585?92b
''War is the unfolding of miscalculations.''-Barbara Tuchman

al_infierno

These symptom descriptions are effing horrifying.  Holy crap.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/slowly-dying-residents-weird-symptoms-weeks-after-train-derailment-and-explosion/news-story/106e190eb81876dc05ac668c0702f775

Quote"My voice sounds like Mickey Mouse. My normal voice is low. It's hard to breathe, especially at night. My chest hurts so much at night I feel like I'm drowning. I cough up phlegm a lot. I lost my job because the doctor won't release me to go to work."
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Windigo

Quote from: al_infierno on February 26, 2023, 07:48:16 PMThese symptom descriptions are effing horrifying.  Holy crap.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/environment/slowly-dying-residents-weird-symptoms-weeks-after-train-derailment-and-explosion/news-story/106e190eb81876dc05ac668c0702f775

Quote"My voice sounds like Mickey Mouse. My normal voice is low. It's hard to breathe, especially at night. My chest hurts so much at night I feel like I'm drowning. I cough up phlegm a lot. I lost my job because the doctor won't release me to go to work."

Fired because you're sick... that's fucked up!
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Many peoples' hearts have grown cold.  Absolutely disgusting.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

FarAway Sooner

A million sarcastic comments are popping into my mind, but I suspect most of them would be misunderstood.  Apparently the East Palestine derailment trumped the Chinese Balloons as the next great threat to America in the news cycle.  Corporations pollute our world in a million different ways--I'm not so sure why this particular train derailment has everybody so exercised.

I wonder what will be next?  A second invasion of Murder Hornets?  Chinese-made cell phone components that might, under very specific circumstances, cause long-term impotence?  Or perhaps a previously undiscovered affiliation between the NHL and anonymous Russian oligarchs?

I get how this is very serious news to the people living near the accident.  Aside from the corporate malfeasance angle, I don't get why it's transfixed the American attention span for so long.

al_infierno

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on February 27, 2023, 10:19:44 PMCorporations pollute our world in a million different ways--I'm not so sure why this particular train derailment has everybody so exercised.

Have you followed the thread and seen the images of the gigantic plumes of black, toxic smoke spewing into the atmosphere in a massive radius?  This is far from an ordinary example of corporate pollution, this is one of the worst ecological disasters in North American history, if not the worst.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Sir Slash

Right. This is kind of like an American version of Chernobyl.