Main Menu

Boat Crew

Started by Jarhead0331, September 29, 2023, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

'Er Uh - Vote Quimby: a JFK PT109 Simulator'

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

Saw a post from the developer and they described it as arcade so not surprised it would post that way

Jarhead0331

I think its pretty damn fun. Its being compared to Bomber Crew, but I think it is better because you actually "drive" or sail the boat. If I recall, Bomber Crew merely had the player designating waypoints and the aircraft flew there automatically. Combat is pretty basic, though, so I hope the devs add some complexity there too. I'm assuming options will open up as I get more experienced crew and better boats.

So far, lots of potential for a fun little game. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Quote from: steve58 on September 29, 2023, 01:56:12 PMDownloading demo. 

They really need to edit/change the name.  "Boat Crew"?  At least "PT Boat Crew".

Here's a boat:

there's a boat:

This is also a boat:

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Sir Slash

Maybe somebody will do a, 'Swift-Boat' mod for Vietnam. That'd be fun.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Tallyho did an article on it and seemed to appreciate what they doing with the campaign in the game.

https://tallyhocorner.com/2023/09/boat-crews-campaign-engine-is-surprisingly-sophisticated/

Also while reading that, came across another pt boat sim coming which looks interesting as well.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2288640/Torpedo_Boat/

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2023, 04:30:13 PM'Er Uh - Vote Quimby: a JFK PT109 Simulator'
How about: "Boaty McBoatCrew"?

Redwolf

What is the biggest Navy floating thing that is still called a "boat"?

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Redwolf on September 30, 2023, 10:47:46 AMWhat is the biggest Navy floating thing that is still called a "boat"?

A sub I think.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Nuclear sub, definitely.

There's also a much older game called Knights of the Sea which is like a somewhat more detailed Battlestations Pacific. Steam has it, but doesn't have the large manual unfortunately. Gamersgate has it and the manual. (I may actually own it on GG, and just forgot about it...?)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/12139/

(That link also includes the sequel expansion for the Pacific campaign.)

GoG doesn't have it. There can be some driver update issues.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think all of you should just jump of War Thunder.  It's free to play, small boats are super fun, and I need some easy kil......errr..fresh mea.....I mean, fresh new faces to come and breathe some life into the low-tier coastal naval portion of the game!

Staggerwing

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 30, 2023, 11:55:55 AMNuclear sub, definitely.

There's also a much older game called Knights of the Sea which is like a somewhat more detailed Battlestations Pacific. Steam has it, but doesn't have the large manual unfortunately. Gamersgate has it and the manual. (I may actually own it on GG, and just forgot about it...?)

https://store.steampowered.com/sub/12139/

(That link also includes the sequel expansion for the Pacific campaign.)

GoG doesn't have it. There can be some driver update issues.

IIRC, that one only has the Atlantic and Med, not the Pacific, so no 'PT-109' or 'McHale's Navy'
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2023, 10:09:41 AMIt's basically a JFK PT-109 simulator...really looking forward to the Mimi Beardsley DLC!

what about the German chick he was hanging out with that got him sent to the Pacific in the first place.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

FarAway Sooner

I thought that was in the late 50s, she was East German, and nothing ever happened?  Man, trying to keep track of all these alleged JFK affairs would have been so much easier if we'd just had cell phones and DNA tests available...

glen55

Quote from: Sir Slash on September 29, 2023, 09:22:54 PMMaybe somebody will do a, 'Swift-Boat' mod for Vietnam. That'd be fun.

Does anybody remember "Gunboat," an ancient DOS swift boat game. I had a blast playing that, did the whole campaign which is something I often fail to do with games.

I doubt you can get it now--it's a wee bit dated--but it was sure fun.

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower