Main Menu

Guild Wars 2

Started by Huw the Poo, September 01, 2012, 07:27:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

There are group required dungeon instances.  I encountered one in Queensland that required a party of 6.  So I suspect that there are raid style events too.

Tpek

So about the Guild itself...
Who should I appoint as an Officer and who as an Admin/General? :P

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on September 02, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
There are group required dungeon instances.  I encountered one in Queensland that required a party of 6.  So I suspect that there are raid style events too.

There are dungeon instances in Australia?!   :o

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2012, 02:00:23 PM
Quote from: Bison on September 02, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
There are group required dungeon instances.  I encountered one in Queensland that required a party of 6.  So I suspect that there are raid style events too.

There are dungeon instances in Australia?!   :o

Well, Lord of the Rings and Hobbit take place in New Zealand, so that's not surprising at all really :D

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 02, 2012, 10:10:23 AM
I got it, but I'm not the biggest MMORPG fan.  I'm trying to get into it.

I feel the same way but it sounds like these guys are having fun.  Let us know what you think from your perspective.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Tuna

I just had to buy two copies for my sons the other day this mean i'm gonna need a third copy!

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Nefaro on September 02, 2012, 06:52:23 AM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on September 01, 2012, 09:19:57 PM
Tpek started a Grogheads guild. You can actually be members of several guilds and can still interact with guildmates on different servers. Post your name.number and he can add you. Mine is baelthazar.9106. But I haven't had ANY time to play, although I might get on tonight some.


Seriously? 

Are you talking about joining different guilds with different characters.. or can you be in multiples on the same character?

And the question with the cross-region thing, too..?

Guilds are account based and not character based, as far as I can tell. And I co-exist within the Octopus Overlords and Grogheads guild with no conflict. I believe you can meet up for instances and such even across servers, but I haven't grouped at all. I've probably only had time to put about an hour in. I'm thinking about rerolling my Guardian as a Charr, because I like the Charr starting zone better than the tree-people guys.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Toonces

I just want to make sure I understand...this is the same Guild Wars 2 that is sold through Amazon.com for $60?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bison

Yes.  I got my box at Target which saved me HOURS of digital downloading.  It's prety awesome Toonces and once we get a few Grogs on board I think we can easily setup some static group nights.

Grim.Reaper

Guys, I might be interested, but to be honest, never have played these types of games before.  Is there a single player element to this?  Or do you have to join up with groups in order to just survive?  I have a feeling my character would be destroyed easily by others...I am not very good at these types of games, especially against the experts:)  Therefore, just trying to see if I would get any enjoyment out of this game before I put down $60:)

Bison

Here are some snapshots of my guardian combating some centaurs and some sort of otherworldly monster.



Yeah I'm shooting fire out of my mouth!  Badass!

OK.  I'm killing a rat with with a huge ass hammer, but sometimes exterminating the pests requires something a little extra!

Grim I've only played solo.  The way the game is setup its very solo friendly because most areas are free for all.  So if there is a special event you and everyone in the area battles and gets the reward.

son_of_montfort

Bison has it 100% right. Most every class is meant to be able to solo well or group well. No class is a dedicated "healer" or "support only" and most have options to spec them toward more of a support or offensive role. They are basically broken down between ranged, melee, and hybrid, but even that is not fully capturing the way the game works. You can also "group" without being in an official group by taking part in area-wide events that provide XP, karma, and money. Everything is fairly streamlined for new players.

The only caveat is that newbies should not play the Mesmer. That class is weird and hard, and requires experience to do well. Guardians, Warriors, Necros, and Elementalists are pretty easy to start. Rangers and Engineers are fine, but one has pets (and that might be hard for newbies to manage) and the other is a support/turret utility class that is still very solo-viable, but takes some getting used to.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 02, 2012, 08:04:19 PM
Guys, I might be interested, but to be honest, never have played these types of games before.  Is there a single player element to this?  Or do you have to join up with groups in order to just survive?

Apart from dungeon instances (optional) and world events (optional) you can probably solo your way through the whole game.  You'll often find yourself in groups anyway though, because that's how Guild Wars 2 is designed.  You won't officially be in a party, but you'll very often be fighting for the same objective as others in the same area.  But there are really no downsides to this at all.  Nobody can steal your kills, nobody can steal your loot, nobody can otherwise interfere with your goal.  As long as you take part in something, you'll be rewarded.  GW2 promotes group play like no other MMO I've seen with the possible exception of Rift.

As for never having played an MMORPG before, I wouldn't worry about that.  If you can learn an RTS or a TBS you're certainly capable of learning a MMORPG.  Especially Guild Wars 2, because you have fewer skills to manage here than in other games.  And don't forget that there's no monthly sub!  If you're at all interested, my advice would be to go for it. ;)

Shelldrake

I am really intrigued. I might have to fork over the $60 once the holiday is over just to play with you guys!  :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Grim.Reaper

Thanks guys for all the feedback, sounds very interesting even for a single player like me.  Last question.  Can other players kill my character or can only the CPU players do that to me?  I also heard there were only five character slots.  Once you create five, can you alwayse delete some to free a spot up?