Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020/2024

Started by Redwolf, December 15, 2023, 05:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

CaptainKoloth

You'd think people would have learned from SimCity 2013.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Pete Dero on November 19, 2024, 04:06:16 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on November 19, 2024, 03:33:51 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2024, 03:12:35 PM
Quote from: Redwolf on November 19, 2024, 02:56:34 PMIt would be too funny if this launch brought down the whole Microsoft universe.

It's not looking good. The Steam launch appears to be even worse.

Hopefully people are smart enough to not blame Steam for this mess.

Right now 18% positive reviews on Steam ...


...and none of the 82% that are negative have to do with the actual sim itself.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Well I'm cool about it. I'll try tomorrow.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Old TImer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2024, 11:41:39 AMI hate people. Already stupid negative reviews on Steam.

Mostly download and install issues.  Think I'll wait a few days.

Redwolf

What I like "best" about this is that MS still runs all these loading and login screens with the GPU at high power, just as in msfs2020. This was a top wishlist item of mine to fix.

The amount of electricity that has been burned today just because of this must be impressive.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2024, 11:41:39 AMI hate people. Already stupid negative reviews on Steam.
Quoted in my sig for truth  :ThumbsUp:
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 19, 2024, 05:06:04 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 19, 2024, 11:41:39 AMI hate people. Already stupid negative reviews on Steam.
Quoted in my sig for truth  :ThumbsUp:

 :ROFL: I guess I should have seen that coming.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

lol - aye - and unashamedly edited for effect   :ROFL:

On a huge plus - I started MSFS2024 this morning. Logged in and all worked. Even better, I set the graphics to Ultra and created a small flight in a  Cessna from Glasgow Airport to Ayr - loaded it and it was very, very smooth and looked very, very stunning.

Aircraft on the ground taxiing, vehicles driving around.

Very impressed.

There were some stutters when transitioning view. Like looking around or getting out the aircraft etc - but once they had loaded it seemed fine.

Given the setting was Ultra I was very impressed with the FPS overall.

Not saying problems won't show when I'm at a busy airport or whatever - but - initially impressed.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Jarhead0331

^nice. Flying in VR, by any chance?

As for graphics and performance, there are so many comments and complaints out there it is hard to know what is accurate. It's good to see your positive feedback.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

No VR. I got rid of my VR a couple of years ago - just too "annoying" to get settled in a chair with everything setup.

As for the performance - it was just a quick take off and fly for 5 minutes. Nothing too deep. But I was surprised at how well my system held up on Ultra - I was definitely thinking I was going to have a game that looked like Minecraft
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ArizonaTank

#55
Glad to see this venerable franchise thriving...

I first played MSFS on a 16bit Tandy 3000 DOS based PC computer with 640K of RAM and a 10mb hard-drive; that was nearly 40 years ago.

I will get this latest version eventually...

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

So I did load Glasgow to Prestwick and flew it and it was stunning. No graphical glitches that I noticed.

However....

I loaded another flight (or tried to) from somewhere near Skye to Inverness and the computer just sat there for more than half an hour - showing a screen of the area with clouds - the loading screen - with my GPU being hammered 80% and CPU at 20% and memory at 5GB

I don't know what was going on - but it didn't load that flight and to keep my GPU from destroying itself, I back out - which it let me do tbf - no hard crash or end task required - just ESC and back to the menu.

I tried again later with the same flight and no joy - same thing - sat on a loading screen (no indicators to see how that loading is going) with GPU being hammered.

Just lettin' ya know.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Pete Dero

https://www.flightsimulator.com/microsoft-flight-simulator-2024-launch-day-update/

We have worked hard with our partners, including Asobo and others, to bring you an amazing sim experience. The excitement for the sim today has been overwhelming, but we encountered an issue with one of our services handling the new systems in the game like career mode and various missions. The server responsible for handling data requests got overloaded, causing delays and errors.

As a result, players are experiencing long loading times and missing content like aircraft. We have solved the issues and are now bringing players in at a steady pace. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience. We will keep you updated on our social channels, forums, and website. Thank you very much for all your feedback and support.

Old TImer

Downloaded and installed this morning.  No issues at all.  And best of all the game runs like a dream and is visually very impressive.  Still tweaking the settings and controls but so far I'm very happy with it.

Redwolf

I can also fly today. And my Saab Gripen from 2020 appeared in my aircraft selection for some reason.

Issues about 2020 that I would like to see fixed are unchanged.

The new extra screens to change livery and loadout are a pain. Why did they do extra subscreen diving?

I tried to manually install my F-14, but the directory structure changed and I see no information about where Community add-ons are supposed to go. Well, I have the Gripen.