Main Menu

Civilization VII

Started by steve58, June 07, 2024, 11:17:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Looks like it will be announced sometime during the Summer Game Fest 2024.

https://insider-gaming.com/civilization-vii-leaked/
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

CaptainKoloth

At risk of sounding throughly old,  grumpy, and groggy, Civilization has become so "mass-marketized" that, while I-IV remain among my very top games of all time, I can't even whip up the enthusiasm to watch the trailer for VII.

Gusington

I don't disagree...however Civ V has a lot going for it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

al_infierno

If they bring back unit stacking with some decent balance tweaks, I'm all ears.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

solops

Quote from: CaptainKoloth on June 07, 2024, 05:35:58 PMAt risk of sounding throughly old,  grumpy, and groggy, Civilization has become so "mass-marketized" that, while I-IV remain among my very top games of all time, I can't even whip up the enthusiasm to watch the trailer for VII.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

solops

Quote from: al_infierno on June 07, 2024, 07:10:54 PMIf they bring back unit stacking with some decent balance tweaks, I'm all ears.
+1
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

CJReich46

Now I am one of those who got Civ V on release (pre-ordered) first game I ever did that. I recall so much bashing over it. It wasn't until Gods and Kings and later Brave New World where things finally clicked.

So with VII, if they can look at what worked in all the previous ones, and improve on that. Maybe with the unit stacking, maybe some other features. But it isn't until 2025 so I will be watching cautiously. I never got into VI sadly, I think it was because I never fully played V or IV enough. Sad huh?

But let's see how VII goes, 2025 is a ways away.
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

Geezer

Civ VI is only $3 on Steam.  Since nobody mentioned it in this thread can I assume it's not even worth that paltry sum?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

^I'm actually re-installing Civ VI now to try it out again. I've played only about 22 hours of it and barely remember it at all, other than not liking the extremely cartoony look of most of the graphics. I may pick up some heavily discounted DLCs if I feel differently about it this time.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Geezer

I bought Old World on sale a while ago and never put much time into it.  Might go back to that rather than piking up Civ VI.  Sorry for derailing the thread.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

ArizonaTank

I actually got quite a bit out of Civ VI, played several very long, asynch games with 4-6 human players (games that included our own Mr. Jason Pratt). That was fun.

My mind is open on Civ VII. 

But like Geezer, I invested in Old World...and enjoy it...so no urgent need to scratch the Civ-like game itch.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Steam says I have ~300 hours in Civ V and ~220 in Civ VI.  I honestly can't remember the differences between the two.  I think the key is to wait until all the DLC comes out and buy a bundled version.  I recall both Civ V and VI being a bit weak and lacking in features upon initial release.

I've been playing and enjoying Warhammer 40k: Gladius again recently. It was given away free on Steam and GOG about a month ago so some of my friends installed it and we've been playing online matches.  It's basically Civ 40K but with zero diplomacy, only war.  It suffers from the same problem as the Civ titles in that the base game is lacking a lot of features so picking up the DLC is almost a requirement.  They go the Paradox route though and make everything DLC.  Want new factions?  Buy the DLC.  Want a full roster of units for your faction?  Buy the defence, assault, fortifications, weapons, and heroes DLCs

Geezer

I got Gladius when it was free.  Like Old World I don't have much time played.  So many games, so little time.

Gusington

Old World is quite awesome - I love it because it concentrates on the ancient era only.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd