Black ops 6 - ouch…storage

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 09, 2024, 06:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Yikes, quite a bit of storage for a game.  For a pc maybe better options but for a console, much more difficult.

Microsoft has revealed that Black Ops 6 will weigh in at an eye-watering 309.85 GB, making it the biggest Call of Duty game ever in terms of how much storage space it will take up at launch.

Tripoli

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 09, 2024, 06:07:08 PMYikes, quite a bit of storage for a game.  For a pc maybe better options but for a console, much more difficult.

Microsoft has revealed that Black Ops 6 will weigh in at an eye-watering 309.85 GB, making it the biggest Call of Duty game ever in terms of how much storage space it will take up at launch.

When I purchased the McIntosh SE in 1985, it had a 20MB hard drive.  I thought I would never fill it up.  Looks like Black Ops 6 is up to the challenge.  And then some. :laugh:
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

al_infierno

Western AAA game sizes are utterly ridiculous these days. I'm always shocked when I reinstall a big AAA game from just 5-10 years ago and it's only like, 40 GB or something like that.  I remember dropping my jaw at that back in the day.

Personally, I would really like to see AAA games move away from ultra HD photo realistic graphics.  Nobody really gives a crap if each of the protagonist's individual eyelash hairs are rendered.  It's just an arms race pissing contest at this point and it benefits nobody but social media personalities who post engagement bait comparing ultra zoomed in screenshots of NPC's nostril hairs or whatever.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Redwolf

I have a 1.5 TB SSD partition dedicated for just DCS and MSFS2020. It overflowed a couple weeks ago.

Things are getting big.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Redwolf on June 09, 2024, 07:03:02 PMI have a 1.5 GB SSD partition dedicated for just DCS and MSFS2020. It overflowed a couple weeks ago.

Things are getting big.

Yeah... I think Kola map is 150 GB.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Redwolf

CaptainKoloth

I remember when I heard that Starfleet Academy was a 150 MB install at the store in 1997. I laughed; who do they think would possibly have a hard drive big enough for that??

Grim.Reaper

It would be one thing if the extra size of the game translated into truly the next gen graphics experience but for many of these games you can hardly notice a difference that makes it worth while.  At least for Xbox, they currently have default storage options of 512GB and 1 TB (2TB coming later) and not the cheapest options to get expansion storage if you want to be comparable to the performance and capabilities of the default drives.  If games continue at this pace, they are going to have to provide more options although that likely will translate to more cost.

Also feel bad for those that live in parts of the world where they still don't have access and/or can afford higher speed internet as downloading a game of this size will take forever. not too mention the frequent large patches/updates to go along with it.

I know things change and in the future we will probably look back and think 300GB was tiny like we look back to the 80's and 90's now:)  Just hope as the size of the games change, so does the actual game experience.

Jarhead0331

^don't hold your breath. It seems that as the size of the games grow, the game play experience gets worse. It's like Hollywood. Writers and producers rely on fancy special effects and big explosions that push the envelope, but then this always comes and at the expense of the writing, or in the game industry, the story and features.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Gusington

No worries, AI will save or destroy us all  :Nerd:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Redwolf

Quote from: Redwolf on June 09, 2024, 10:04:39 PMCurrently repartitioning...

And that failed. Thanks Windows. Restoring from backup.

And a correction. It's only 1 TB, not 1.5.

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 09, 2024, 07:08:14 PMholy crap

Yeah, it looks like Star Citizen at 100 gig is about my limit and I might dump that and have the following games
installed: The Troop at not much, SGS Overlord at not much, Scramble when it comes out but I doubt it will be very
big and Gray Zone Warfare at a modest 40 gig.

Grim.Reaper

I find this statement kind of funny, all modes will require online connection so they can stream textures....so even having 300gb of storage, that's still not enough to manage graphics for this game and requires additional streaming from internet:)

Activision says that an internet connection is required to play all modes in Black Ops 6, including the campaign, due to the game's new texture-streaming technology. The statement from the publisher says this requirement is necessary because Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 will use texture streaming across all game modes, allowing the developer to "deliver the highest-quality visuals while also reducing the game's overall storage space on your hard drive."