Comet C/2023-A3

Started by Tripoli, October 16, 2024, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tripoli

Not really an enigma of the mystical, but still cool: Here are some photos I captured last night of the comet using my Nikon D5100.  I think I may have actually captured the anti-tail, which is pretty good given the moonlight that was washing out a lot of the detail:




"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Pete Dero

Thank you for posting this.

Could you maybe give a bit more details ?

Where do you live in latitude ?
How is the light pollution where you live ?
Could you see it with the naked eye ?

Where I live (51° latitude) it is only around 10° high when it gets dark enough and I have to deal with a lot of light pollution  :cry:.

Sir Slash

Great pics Trip! That could NOT have been easy.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

#3
Quote from: Pete Dero on October 16, 2024, 11:02:54 AMThank you for posting this.

Could you maybe give a bit more details ?

Where do you live in latitude ?
How is the light pollution where you live ?
Could you see it with the naked eye ?

Where I live (51° latitude) it is only around 10° high when it gets dark enough and I have to deal with a lot of light pollution  :cry:.

Assuming you live in the Ruhr, near Dusseldorf, your sky at sunset should look like this.  The POV is looking west (W):


The comet should be between Arcturus, an orange colored star (see the white target mark in this image), and Venus, which will be setting on the horizon.  Look for the comet at about 30 minutes after sunset (see the red target mark on this image).  Have as little light to the west as possible, ie, get the city lights behind you. 
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Tripoli

#4
The images I posted are from southern Wisconsin, near a town called "Cross Plains".  It is at 43.1144° N, 89.6557° W  The photos were taken over a one hour period, beginning at 30 minutes after sunset.  The comet began about 20 degrees above the horizon, but after an hour was close enough to the horizon that taking photos was no longer worthwhile.  It is visible to the naked eye.  Look slightly away to maximize your eye's light sensitivity.  iphones on night mode can capture it.  If you are using a camera, most of my photos were taken on a tripod using a Nikon D5100, 70mm lens, ISO 1250, 8-15 second exposures, F/5.6
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

JasonPratt

I'm also curious about our new little temporary moon! -- an asteroid orbiting us for the next couple of months?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tripoli

I forgot to add: the comet is climbing about 3 degrees/night, so it will be higher in the sky as the week progresses.  However, it will also be further away, so opportunities to see it will probably necessitate trips to more remote areas.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Pete Dero

Thanks for the info.


I live in Belgium : brightest spot on the planet if you look down from the ISS.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39900940 : Why does Belgium shine so brightly?  :tickedoff:  :knuppel2:

I know the position will get better the next couple of days but it will also go down in magnitude (and the weather over here doesn't look good either).


I have the software (Starry night pro) and I know where to look, but the problem is I don't see it because of the terrible light pollution (even more close to the horizon).