War Thunder Global beta keys

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, October 01, 2012, 01:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Shelldrake

Deadskin kindly sent me a beta key so I will be dusting off my Logitech joystick and checking out the game. :)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Deadskin

You can be competitive with mouse and keyboard. It's what I fly with and I do fairly good if I do say so myself, I shoot down Sunflare regularly.   ;)

Sunflare

Quote from: Deadskin on October 02, 2012, 04:37:50 PM
You can be competitive with mouse and keyboard. It's what I fly with and I do fairly good if I do say so myself, I shoot down Sunflare regularly.   ;)

::)  You cant shoot down a limp noodle.  You FINALLY have a good match last night and all the sudden your superman.  Lets just say I down your planes at least 3 times as often as you get mine.  :P

Silent Disapproval Robot

Glory hounds.

Bombing is what wins matches.


(It's also where the sweet, sweet XP is.  Not that it does much good.  I've dumped 600+ crew points into getting 4 trained gunners in my Welly Mk. X and it still goes up like a Roman candle if anyone so much as glances at it.)


Sunflare

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 02, 2012, 04:54:48 PM
Glory hounds.

Bombing is what wins matches.


(It's also where the sweet, sweet XP is.  Not that it does much good.  I've dumped 600+ crew points into getting 4 trained gunners in my Welly Mk. X and it still goes up like a Roman candle if anyone so much as glances at it.)

Bombing wins sometimes and sometimes it doesn't.  Defending the ground targets is equally important.  My best game involved defending our last two destroyers since no one was killing theirs.  I ended the game with two ground kills and 17 air kills.  They simply ran out of planes.  So downing planes wins as well.

When you fly the bombers are you controlling the aft guns ever?  You down more planes if you do.

Silent Disapproval Robot

No.  I find the gunner controls way too cumbersome to use.  The game has mapped the turret control to the little mini stick/hat on my CH throttle and its too touchy to use for fine aiming.  I have tried to remap it/adjust sensitivity but the game doesn't accept the changes.  I have the same problem with rudder controls.  They are way too sensitive so if I move my joystick rudder just a few multimeters, my plane yaws wildly.  Makes dogfighting a challenge as keeping my gunsight on target is hard in a turning fight.  I have to stick to BnZ tactics.  Shame I fly British planes which are better suited to turn fighting. 

I can adjust the rudder sensitivity but I still haven't been able to dial it in properly.  It's either twitchy as hell or barely responds at all.  There are a fair number of players who have found the same thing and are posting about it in the closed B forums.

Sunflare

WOW that sucks. I had alittle trouble dialing in the sensitivity, but once I got it it worked out well.  When I  go to the gunners position I normally set the plane in a slight climb and then use my mouse to aim the guns.  Its way easier than the hat. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

I have a Track IR and it fights with the mouse for control of POV.  I lose the fine turret control but I gain a lot in situational awareness.  I hope they implement bomber cockpits because once they do, I will fly in full real, cockpit only servers exclusively.

Rekim

I also found the hardware setup to be a bit tricky, but have managed to tune things up well enough over time. I haven't bothered with the tail gunner for the same reasons SDR mentioned.  I'd like to find a working config for this as I'm sure it does alot to increase life expectancy.

I never would have imagined that a mouse/keyboard setup could compete with a good joystick or even HOTAS. Don't think there is any getting around the benefits of a good head tracker though.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I used the in game setup wizard and it did a pretty good job of detecting and setting up my controllers.  It's just been an issue of fine tuning now and it's really only the rudder that's giving me problems.  It'd be nice to have the option to tweak controller profiles to each plane.  My rudder reqs for my Wellingtons and Beaufighters are different from what I'd like for my Spitfires and Typhoons.

Nefaro

I've been playing WoWP's beta thus far, but I'd be up for checking this out, too, if anyone has beta keys left.

Nefaro

Thanks to SDR, I'll be in & running sometime soon. 

The d/l is pretty slow, though.  Good thing it's a torrent because their direct upload speed is between 50 and 110 KB/s.  :-[  Gettin' most of it from others hosting the d/l which is about 2x to 3x that (still not good).  Sorry, just found it odd for an MMO to have such a terribly slow game file upload.   It does look like it has tons of wholesome goodness in the game itself, however.  8)

My nick is Nefaro (insanity!!).  I suppose that is what we're identified by in-game?

Nefaro

Quote from: Rekim on October 03, 2012, 06:53:47 PM
I never would have imagined that a mouse/keyboard setup could compete with a good joystick or even HOTAS. Don't think there is any getting around the benefits of a good head tracker though.

I found that I kinda prefer the mouse & keyboard over my joystick in another similar Beta going on right now.  It just feels more precise, easier on the carpal tunnel, and it's far easier to set up.  Tweaking joystick settings has become a big pain in the ass since each joystick seems to have it's own sweet spots and it takes trial and error to find yours.   But I'll give the joystick, and the settings, a couple shots before deciding of course.  ;)

jomni

Thanks for the keys Sunflare.

Apparently mouse and keyboard is the way to go.    They implemented it cleverly in the game.
I configured my HOTAS at the start but the method is cumbersome and not reliable.

Sunflare

Saw Nefaro in battle today.  Good to see some Grogheads out there.