Guy Gavriel Kay

Started by Toonces, October 03, 2012, 01:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: MetalDog on May 12, 2013, 09:10:05 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on May 11, 2013, 09:35:22 PM
I'm trying to decide between Kay's 'Last Light of the Sun' (trade paperback, used) and Neal Stephenson's 'the Mongoliad pt 1' (kindle), both of which I have ready to go, as my next fiction read. I'll be done with my present book in a day or two so I'll need to decide soon.

I've been dying to ask, how did you like Millionaire's Unit?

Sorry, I should have said something earlier. I liked it quite a lot. Thanks again for the gift!

Millionaire's Unit gave a unique view of just how fragmented the origins of US air power were. The USN guys here would be happy to know that, at the outbreak of WW1, Naval aviation was just about the only manifestation of practical flying that the US military engaged in. The Yale kids who formed the first actual aviation unit did so on their own and then presented themselves to the Navy afterwards. The book followed six of them from Yale (including induction int the 'Secret Societies' such as Skull&Bones) through their efforts to learn to fly by building their own seaplanes (paid for by their families, not the USA) and their eventual induction into the US Navy. Most of them went to France where they flew anti-sub patrols in Curtis H-12 Flying boats (of which the 'Felixstowe' Flying Boat now available in the sim Rise of Flight is a derivation) and some went on to fly scouts such as the Sopwith Camel. At least two of them died in combat during the course of the book and one of these accounts actually caught me by surprise due to the narrative's pacing, leaving a sharp feeling of sadness.

The story is written mainly in the form of a group biography and the individuals truly came to life due to the many letters that had been written by, and to, the subjects during the War and which the author neatly wove into the story. If I had any gripe with the book it would be that I was left slightly hungry for more technical depth as to the types of aircraft depicted and details of the day-to-day operations of flying and maintaining these planes, showing how military aviation was literally making itself up as it grew. Still, I am aware that this is a 'people' book first, written as the author intended it to be, not a technical reference intended only for grogs and propeller heads.

I strongly recommend the book to anyone who has an interest in the origins of US military aviation and also in getting a glimpse into the minds of young men who were born into plenty but also driven by both their patriotism, raised to feel a sense of Duty to Country that came with their station in life, as well as an idealistic view of warfare that created a desire for  personal glory.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MetalDog

You are quite welcome.  There is nothing more gratifying than picking out a gift that someone enjoys.  Doubly so if it is a book!  :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

Man, Staggerwing, you brought a little tear to my eye!   :'(

Naval aviation FTW!   8)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

For those of us unfamiliar with him, is there any work by Kay that's generally recommended for a first-time reader? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Toonces

I really enjoyed The Lions of Al-Rassan and would recommend that one as a first book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Lions-al-Rassan-Guy-Gavriel/dp/0060733497/ref=pd_rhf_pe_s_cp_1_AG7C

The book I see recommended most frequently is Tigana, which I haven't yet read as it's not available for Kindle.  I'm probably going to order it hard copy at some point, though:  http://www.amazon.com/Tigana-Guy-Gavriel-Kay/dp/0451457765/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_y

On The Lions of Al-Rassan:

The ruling Asharites of Al-Rassan have come from the desert sands, but over centuries, seduced by the sensuous pleasures of their new land, their stern piety has eroded. The Asharite empire has splintered into decadent city-states led by warring petty kings. King Almalik of Cartada is on the ascendancy, aided always by his friend and advisor, the notorious Ammar ibn Khairan -- poet, diplomat, soldier -- until a summer afternoon of savage brutality changes their relationship forever.

Meanwhile, in the north, the conquered Jaddites' most celebrated -- and feared -- military leader, Rodrigo Belmonte, driven into exile, leads his mercenary company south.

In the dangerous lands of Al-Rassan, these two men from different worlds meet and serve -- for a time -- the same master. Sharing their interwoven fate -- and increasingly torn by her feelings -- is Jehane, the accomplished court physician, whose own skills play an increasing role as Al-Rassan is swept to the brink of holy war, and beyond.

Hauntingly evocative of medieval Spain, The Lions of Al-Rassan is both a brilliant adventure and a deeply compelling story of love, divided loyalties, and what happens to men and women when hardening beliefs begin to remake -- or destroy -- a world.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Martok

Thanks Toonces.  The jacket description (at least I presume that's what it is) for The Lions of Al-Rassan sounds very compelling.  I think I'll be paying my local library a visit this week! 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

DEVGRU6

Tigana and Last Light of the Sun are by far two of Kay's greatest works.

Martok

Welcome to Grogheads DEVGRU6, and thanks for the recommendations! 

Staggerwing

I just started 'Last Light'. Very promising...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

I just got Tigana in the mail Tuesday.   ;D

DEVGRU6

Quote from: Martok on June 06, 2013, 08:13:12 PM
Welcome to Grogheads DEVGRU6, and thanks for the recommendations!

Why thank you and you are welcome!

Toonces

Man, you guys really dropped the ball on Tigana.  If you're reading this thread and haven't bought/borrowed anything from Kay yet, DON'T start with Tigana.

What a slow book!  Even for Kay!  I'm halfway through and I moved on.  Even the halfway-hook wasn't enough to keep me interested.

I'm going to stick with my recommendation for Lions or Last Light as starter books if you haven't read Kay.  I've only stuck with Tigana thus far because I know Kay always kills in the end.  But man....Boooooring!

Martok

That's unfortunate...especially as Tigana is apparently the only Kay book in our entire regional library system.  Bloody hell.  >:( 

Toonces

I'm looking at Tigana again and I'm more like 1/4 through rather than 1/2.  I'll post more thoughts when I'm further into the book.

Kay can take a bit to warm up.  I had to start the Chinese one 3 times I think, before I crossed the "can't put it down" threshold.

FarAway Sooner

Honestly, I think his first trilogy, The Tapestry of Fionavar, is damn good.  Second only to The Lord of the Rings in the ranks of High Fantasy, if you ask me.  The Summer Tree is as good a place to start as any, and definitely pulls you along.

Kay was working as a graduate student when he was selected to help pull together The Silmarillion.  That's one Hell of a "my summer as a grad student" project to put on your resume!!

I like his alternate history novels of different types, but the ones where he's free to create his worlds from whole cloth are the most engaging for me (the Tapesty series and Tigana both fill this mold).