Another Hero Gone, But Not Forgotten

Started by Jarhead0331, October 11, 2012, 01:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote
10:46 AM ET
Basil Plumley, Army veteran of 3 wars, dies at 92

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Basil L. Plumley, who fought in some of the U.S. Army's bloodiest battles in three wars, died Wednesday in Columbus, Georgia. He was 92.

Plumley saw action in some of the largest battles of World War II, including the Battle of Normandy, the Battle of Salerno in Italy and Operation Market Garden.

He then fought in the Korean War, but it was his role in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam that brought him the most fame. The battle was chronicled in the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," which was later a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson. Sam Elliott played Plumley.

The National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, tweeted a picture of Elliot and Plumley in noting the veteran's death.

RIP, hero. 

Sound off.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

#2
Yeah, saw that over at ACG.

RIP Sergeant Major.  I hope that you're having a good morning over on the other side.



Any time is a good time for pie.

W8taminute

R.I.P. and thank you for all you did for our country and our people.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 11, 2012, 01:10:03 PM
Quote
He then fought in the Korean War, but it was his role in the Battle of Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam that brought him the most fame. The battle was chronicled in the book "We Were Soldiers Once ... and Young," which was later a 2002 movie starring Mel Gibson. Sam Elliott played Plumley.

The National Infantry Museum at Fort Benning, Georgia, tweeted a picture of Elliot and Plumley in noting the veteran's death.

RIP, hero. 

Sound off.

wow, i thought that guy was hollywood fiction, all action hero - to read here that he was a real guy is outstanding - man's a legend

Staggerwing

Thank you. May the Gods of Battle release you to the Gods of Home and Hearth for your rest.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Bison


TheCommandTent

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Arctic Blast

R.I.P. Don't even know what else I can say that will do justice to the guy.

Mr. Bigglesworth

For him to be so bad ass while looking like a humble guy speaks to his great character.
Very admirable.
RIP.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Airborne Rifles

A friend of mine had the honor of caring for him in his last days (she's a resident at the hospital where he passed).  RIP CSM.

bob48

R.I.P

I remember being impressed with this guy when I read 'We were Soldiers once'. Sad to see him go, but I hope he'll be remembered for a long time.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!