War of the Roses

Started by Bison, October 27, 2012, 08:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

HAHAHA! Well how can I refuse there. Should I even ask for a comparison between Chivalry and War of the Roses?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Gaming population is not too good.  At least for my time zone.  I can join a about 1 or two populated US Servers (200 ping) during my play time.  Singapore servers only active during the weekend but not all the time.

But the game is sure damn fun when you get into a populated server and don't encounter bugs.

Toonces

Quote from: Gusington on November 04, 2012, 07:15:24 PM
HAHAHA! Well how can I refuse there. Should I even ask for a comparison between Chivalry and War of the Roses?

I spent 2 hours with Chivalry tonight.  I'm stupidly sober and I didn't get motion sick at all, so it might have been the beer the last time I played Chivalry.

Anyway, it's hard to compare the two games because they're similar in concept.  Let's see how well I can explain this, keeping in mind that I have about 45 hours in WotR and only 2 hours in Chivalry.

WotR is based on historically correct teams, while Chivalry is completely fictional. 

WotR is strictly 3rd person while Chivalry is 1st person.  It would be hard to say I prefer one over the other.  I find some similarities between the combat in Skyrim and the combat in Chivalry, in the sense that you spend a lot of time dodging, and moving such that you time a dash towards your opponent with your swing.  In a sense it feels more tactical.  Except, I find that in WotR, due to the 3rd person perspective it's more tactical in a thinking sense rather than a feeling sense.  What I mean is that you're looking at your person from the outside, so your perspective of the fight is different and you spend time picking different swings in a more thinking about the fight sense.  I don't know if that even makes sense.  Either way, they both require you to do more than spam swings if you want to enjoy success.

I've only played team deathmatch in both games.  Both feel fairly chaotic, but the maps in Chivalry thus far feel more confined with a lot more hidey holes and alleys and such. 

WotR has crossbowman and archers.  Chivalry has those too, but also has a bunch of throwing weapons for melee classes.  That kind of sucks because you'll be rushing into a melee fight and a knight will pull out a throwing axe and put it in your melon and that's that.  I don't think I like all of the throwing weapons in Chivalry, which are very lethal.

WotR flashes little numbers when you score damage.  Chivalry does not, so you don't know how badly you've wounded your opponent when you hit him.  However, rarely does it take more than two good hits to kill someone in Chivalry so you generally know if you've hit the guy once he's on the ropes.

Chivalry has far more graphic deaths with arms and heads coming off, blood spurting, etc.
WotR has cool execution animations.

WotR definitely has more customization of your character.  You can edit your coat of arms, change your helmet, armor, etc.  Chivalry seems to have a lot of weapons to unlock but less armor and helmet modification, if any.

I'm playing weekday evening about 12-2am EST and I played on a handful of 32 person servers.  WotR feels a lot more busy with 64 player servers vice 32 players (32 per side vice 16 per side).  With the cap at 32 it seemed like there were more servers at less than max capacity.  8v8 fights are fun for a while, but not as boss as the slugfests with 32 on each side.

Chivalry has auto-balancing between rounds; WotR does not (although you can't pick red if red outnumbers white and vice versa).

WotR has bandaging while in Chivarly you regain health over time.  I like the bandage mechanic much, much better.  Also, in WotR you have the opportunity to "revive" a fallen teammate before he is executed, while in Chivalry dead is dead.  The revive mechanic can lead to some serious slugfests when teammates and enemies begin to cluster around their fallen comrades.

Overall I am enjoying both games.  I can't really recommend one over the other...I think the 3rd vs 1st person is the biggest difference and could drive a decision if you had to make one.  There aren't that many of these types of games, so getting both is a great option and nothing to be ashamed of!  I suppose my personal opinion is that WotR is more of a thinking man's game, but I might be biased since I have so much more time invested in WotR than Chivalry.

Hope that helps some.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

46 hours of WOTR under my belt and I am beginning to see a dwindling online population. During my play time 8-10 pm GMT +8, I only see one populated server with decent pings and it's a team death match server with a stupid dueling house rule. There's a server with 200 ping that I usually go to but that becomes full in no time.  A few 300 ping servers that I don't dare join.  They implemented ping limits now and I can't join any decent game anymore!  This sucks.

Here are a couple threads in Paradox about the death of WOTR: 
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?646894-Game-is-dead-long-live-this-game-(not)
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?646899-Refund-for-people-outside-of-europe-and-north-america

How's the population in Chivalry?  Does it have bots to compensate?

Bison

Yeah I started to see some dwindling populations too.  Still can get into a game but the number of populated servers is limited to a couple at a time.

Toonces

WotR has a couple of new maps out, and some new geedunk for your dude.

I spent a few hours with the new maps tonight and they're pretty nice- very wintery. 

The server I was playing on wasn't saving XP/Gold, so that kind of sucked but it was still alot of fun.  Some really good fights, too.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

I went ahead and spent some money and got two new custom builds going. 

Guy one is a straight up knight, hospitellier red armor, warhorse with horse racer perk, war lance, black castillion sword with milan style perk, shield and shield expert perk.

Guy two is more of a footknight, same armor but in polished steel, two-handed Scottish sword, black castillion sword, milan style sword perk.

Both builds are pretty fun.  Cruising around on the field spearing dudes with the lance is a blast, but I'm not very good at it yet.

Father Ted

Quote from: Toonces on December 19, 2012, 09:17:13 PM
Cruising around on the field spearing dudes with the lance is a blast.

Let's hope no one takes that out of context...

Nefaro

I went ahead and spent some money and got two new custom builds going. 

So WotR is a pay-to-play model?  I'm not sure how this thing works.. do you purchase the game and then have to pay extra for each 'character' you create past a certain limit?

jomni

You earn "in-game gold" after every battle. It is the currency to buy customization options and additional soldier slots.

They may be able to sell it for real money but I don't know if that's implemented already.

Toonces

You get experience and gold every match, based on damage dealt to the enemy and whether you won the match which gives you a higher multiplier.

Also, if you play Conquest mode, you get XP and gold for capturing strategic points.

My horse-mounted knight cost about 30-40k gold.  On average I was picking up a good 3-5k per match in Conquest mode yesterday, each match maybe 10-15 minutes long.  It doesn't take too long to get enough money and experience to start customizing.

I haven't spent any real money on the game since I initially bought it.  There might be some DLC down the road at some point I suppose.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Father Ted on December 20, 2012, 05:21:58 AM
Cruising around on the field spearing dudes with the lance is a blast.

Let's hope no one takes that out of context...
lol - if I was drinking tea, I'd be spitting it everywhere!
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on December 20, 2012, 08:30:28 AM
You get experience and gold every match, based on damage dealt to the enemy and whether you won the match which gives you a higher multiplier.

Also, if you play Conquest mode, you get XP and gold for capturing strategic points.

My horse-mounted knight cost about 30-40k gold.  On average I was picking up a good 3-5k per match in Conquest mode yesterday, each match maybe 10-15 minutes long.  It doesn't take too long to get enough money and experience to start customizing.

I haven't spent any real money on the game since I initially bought it.  There might be some DLC down the road at some point I suppose.

Oh.  That's pretty cool.

Thanks for the tip.  Perhaps I'll keep an eye out for a sale on WotR.   

I'm just afraid that it'll be yet another first-person/over-the-shoulder game that gives me a headache when I play.   Although I can usually set it to 4:3 display ratio resolution and they are okay.. if it supports anything besides widescreen (which some console-ized games like WH40K Space Marine do NOT.)

Toonces

WotR is on the Steam flash sale 50% off, or $15.  I think that's a pretty good price if you're into it, but only if you're actually going to spend some time online hacking and slashing. 

Chivalry is also on sale for $15.  Given that there aren't too many medieval fighting games, I picked up both a while ago, and I think they're both a lot of fun.

I'll see if I can grab some screenshots the next time I play WotR.

Jarhead0331

I picked up WoTR with the flash sale.  I want a piece of you Toonces.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18