Commander:The Great War AAR!

Started by Slick Wilhelm, October 30, 2012, 02:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slick Wilhelm

Pardon the bump, gents, but I figured that I'd give this thread one last punt to the top so that anyone who hasn't read my AAR can read it this weekend before buying.

My AAR is going slower than I would like, but I made a conscious decision to make it more of a tutorial than a strict AAR. I hope those of you new to the game find it informative. I did add three more turns of action to it since yesterday, and I'll be adding more this weekend with the hope of whetting your appetites.

tgb

Wilhelm:

Have you played the Battlefront WWI game -Strategic Command WWI?  Does this really offer anything the other doesn't?  I asked that in another thread and at the Matrix forum, and the only answer I got is "it's a different game".

What I want to know is HOW is it different (other than the use of a different engine, duh.)?  I'm trying to talk myself into getting this if I already have the other, and can't really find a reason to do so.

Al

Quote from: tgb on November 10, 2012, 01:34:52 PM
Wilhelm:

Have you played the Battlefront WWI game -Strategic Command WWI?  Does this really offer anything the other doesn't?  I asked that in another thread and at the Matrix forum, and the only answer I got is "it's a different game".

What I want to know is HOW is it different (other than the use of a different engine, duh.)?  I'm trying to talk myself into getting this if I already have the other, and can't really find a reason to do so.

I'd also be interested in a comparison between the two.
Al

Slick Wilhelm

To be totally honest, guys, I can't give you a blow-by-blow comparison between the two games because it's been too long since I've played SC:WWI. I do remember that I loved that game, though, and I love CTGW, too. I can say that I prefer the traditional hex system that CTGW uses over the squares that SC:WWI uses.

Some day I'm sure I will sit down to play both and compare them. But I've been so focused on CTGW that almost every game in my life has been put on hold. That beings said, if I had to make a prediction, it will be that CTGW does some things better than SC:WWI, and vice-versa.

At the end of the day, if you're a WWI enthusiast like myself, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to own both games.

Grim.Reaper

So with this game being released tomorrow and my curiosity peaked, I was wondering how much the game is "scripted" versus the AI reacting to the situation.  Will there be any variability where things won't happen always historically (although within reason)?  I like a historical game but would really enjoy if things aren't overly scripted.  At first I was leaning on waiting a bit for this game, but this AAR got me very interested.

Shelldrake

Major events like the Russian Revolution are scripted (at least I think so based on my experiences) but the game doesn't necessarily follow history. For example, in the 1914 campaign that I just finished (and won in September 1818!) playing as the Central Powers the US never entered the war and Portugal came into the war on the side of the Triple Entente, fighting along side British and French troops in France.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Shelldrake on November 11, 2012, 08:38:20 AM
Major events like the Russian Revolution are scripted (at least I think so based on my experiences) but the game doesn't necessarily follow history. For example, in the 1914 campaign that I just finished (and won in September 1818!) playing as the Central Powers the US never entered the war and Portugal came into the war on the side of the Triple Entente, fighting along side British and French troops in France.

Thank you....that sounds very interesting....

tgb

That sounds better.  Very tempting.

son_of_montfort

For some reason, I am extremely excited about this one, despite not liking the WWII version. However, the Lordz are responsible for this one, so I expect some major differences.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

They did the Napoleonics on which was OK, but nothing special.

Lord Zimoa

QuoteThey did the Napoleonics on which was OK, but nothing special.

We did a little bit more the last few years :-), on a side note: for Commander: Napoleon we only did all the in game art and media. Commander: The Great War however is a complete new game on a new custom Lordz engine.

QuoteGames portfolio developed or co-developed:

Commander: Napoleon at War for PC and Mac, 2008
Conquest! Medieval Realms for PC, 2009
History Great Battles Medieval for PC, PS3, X360 and Android 2010
Battlefield Academy for PC, Mac and iPad, 2010
Battlefield Academy: Blitzkrieg France for PC, Mac and iPad, 2010
Panzer Corps: Wehrmacht for PC, 2011
Panzer Corps: Grand Campaign DLC`s for PC 2011-2012
Conquest! Medieval Realms for Android and iOS, 2012
Panzer Corps: Afrika Korps for PC, 2012
Commander: The Great War for PC, 2012

Upcoming:

Commander: The Great War for Mac and iPad, 2013
Panzer Corps  Series  for Mac and iPad, 2013
Sovereignty: Crown of Kings, PC and iPad 2013

son_of_montfort

NICE! An Ipad version! I hope I love this one tomorrow, because I would love to have a great portable wargame too!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

tgb

I have to admit, finishing up the AAR, I'm a bit more excited about this.  Now all I need is $.  One thing, though - I don't remember seeing any reference to supply.  How is it modeled, and does it affect efficiency?

Tuna

jomni

I really love the art in this one.  I was ignoring this game for so long.   Now I think I will purchase this after some time.