Minecraft, 8 Million PC Copies Sold

Started by TheCommandTent, November 13, 2012, 08:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteThat's right, the PC version of Minecraft has surpassed 8 million sales!  In addition to blowing the lid off of XBLA sales records with well over 4 million sales, and continuing to set incredible landmarks in the handheld market with over 2 million sold, Minecraft continues to set landmarks like never before.  In just the last 24 hours, over 10,000 copies of the game have sold, just on the PC!

Minecraft as a game continues to have a phenomenal level of success, with humble beginnings in the hands of Mojang founding member Markus "Notch" Persson, and growing over a period of years into one of the most successful indie game titles in gaming history.  In addition, the recent changes to Minecraft in 1.4.4 - and future changes planned the game, including Mod API support, more adventure map options, and all sorts of customization options - Mojang continues to push the game to new heights, even as they get involved in the community, with everything from direct-feedback bug fixing to real-life rewnewal projects.

An impressive amount for any game.  If the list at the following link is accurate they are in good company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_video_games

Looks like its time to download the next patch and play some more.  This game just never gets old.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Yskonyn

I highly recommend the Tekkit modpack!
It adds pipes, nuclear power, automatic mining and laser guns! :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Sparhawk

Minecraft is much played in my home. It never caught my imagination, though my 13 year old son plays often and my 11 year old daughter is either playing or watching youtube videos of the game. Much better than watching tv in my opinion.

Sparhawk

Tuna

My 13 year old has it on both PC and XBox.

Arctic Blast

Congrats to the devs, but this (and Terraria) are 2 games that I personally just don't 'get'.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 13, 2012, 03:01:55 PM
Congrats to the devs, but this (and Terraria) are 2 games that I personally just don't 'get'.

I haven't played Terraria so I can't comment on that but Minecraft is almost like virtual Lego with a bit of a medieval fantasy feel to it.  I paid somewhere around $8 for it back in one of the early Betas and I have gotten my money's worth out of it over and over again.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."