Civ 4 BTS noob question

Started by undercovergeek, November 15, 2012, 07:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

To all successful Nobles, Princes and Monarchs a quick question relating to resources:-

I chose the Romans as my starting Civ, their special unit being the Centurion, which needs iron. I managed to discover the Oracle which gave me a free invention, and i chose iron working, so ive got about a 40 - 50 year jump on everyone else, the iron is revealed................ and theres none anywhere near me - ive found an island with just iron on it. Can i build a city right on top of it and get the resource? If i can - how the hell do i get it back to my cultural borders if its just on an island under my city?

Any help appreciated

Desperate Julius Caesar

Bison

Nevermind.  I thought you were talking about CIV V.  I shut up now.  :D

Centurion40

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 15, 2012, 07:02:13 PM
To all successful Nobles, Princes and Monarchs a quick question relating to resources:-

I chose the Romans as my starting Civ, their special unit being the Centurion, which needs iron. I managed to discover the Oracle which gave me a free invention, and i chose iron working, so ive got about a 40 - 50 year jump on everyone else, the iron is revealed................ and theres none anywhere near me - ive found an island with just iron on it. Can i build a city right on top of it and get the resource? If i can - how the hell do i get it back to my cultural borders if its just on an island under my city?

Any help appreciated

Desperate Julius Caesar

Yes, that will work.
Any time is a good time for pie.

MetalDog

You have to have discovered Sailing first, I think.  It allows you to trade over water.  But building the city on it gives you access to the resource, even if it's only in the city that is built on top of it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

Thanks guys

So does sailing automatically set up naval trade routes?

Tuna

If memory serves me right, once you set up a harbor on your island and one in a city in your mainland. It will say "congratulations you have set up a trade route.". Of course your mainland city has to have a road to your capital as well.

MetalDog

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2012, 04:31:50 AM
Thanks guys

So does sailing automatically set up naval trade routes?

Yes.  Sailing sets up trading on coasts and rivers.  There is no need for a Harbor to be built in your trading cities.  However, you will need a road from your capitol to your coastal city in order to use Iron if your capitol is NOT a coastal city.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

undercovergeek

thanks guys - the conquest is back on tonight then