Twinkies...gone forever?

Started by steve58, November 16, 2012, 11:28:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

Isn't this how Zombieland began??? :D

OJsDad

Quote from: eyebiter on November 16, 2012, 11:49:21 AM
Is this situation is another New Coke?

Hostess has been suffering falling sales for many years now.  They haven't gotten on the health food bandwagon or tried to reformulate the product.   
Now we have the threat of 'no more Twinkies oh noes' to induce panic buying.  In a few days most of the baked goods will be gone from the retail stores. 

Since the unions didn't "play ball" they get blamed for the closing.  Meanwhile the executives responsible for restructuring will get a big payoff.

Of course the American people won't stand for the loss of their cherished American icon. 

Soon after Hostess brings back the Twinkie to great fanfare.

Actually, they were already in bankruptcy and the bankruptcy judge had sided with Hostess on the new contract terms.  All others unions representing different parts of Hostess employees had already agreed to the same terms that the bakers union rejected.  The union leadership for the bakers just screwed about 18,500 people out of their jobs.  Happy Holidays !!!  I wonder if the 70% of those that are losing their jobs because of the one union can sue the union. 

Hopefully most of this 70% will be able to get their jobs back if someone comes along and buys up some of the pieces.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Longdan

Wasn't that twinkie the mayor of Halifax?
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

And now people are trying to sell boxes of them on Ebay.

Some are going for as much as $80 a box (asking price).

http://dailycaller.com/2012/11/16/boxes-of-twinkies-ho-hos-going-for-100-and-more-on-ebay/
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

Those silly bidders still don't realize that the half-life of a Twinkie sends even Plutonium into an emotional crisis of inadequacy. Indeed, when the heat-death of the Universe manifests itself there will be no one left to eat the still-viable twinkies.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

besilarius

Sigh!
I remember seeing Twinkies and Cupcakes being shilled by Buffalo Bob on Howdie Doody in the early fifties.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

GDS_Starfury

they had tv back then?  WOW!   ;)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


TheCommandTent

Snagged one of the few remaining boxes off the shelf at the local Wal-Mart on the way home tonight. Maybe I should try to sell it on eBay. :)  Screw it I am just gonna eat them and enjoy it.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Staggerwing

Hey, after eating those twinkies maybe you too can survive the heat-death of the Universe...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

The IP for those items has to be worth something. Someone will buy the name if nothing else. I seriously doubt they're gone for good.

Probably there are several buyers already in the wings putting deals together.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

son_of_montfort

They are going to auction off the property. Given the some 3 billion dollars (and much of that from the millions of Twinkies and loaves of Wonderbread), these are hot ticket items. Some bakery company (probably Bimbo, yes Bimbo, the world's largest bread baker) will grab those twinkies. I don't know why they need bakers in the bakers union, however. I would have thought that the miners and chemists unions would be responsible for the Twinkie, given the ingredients.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

DoctorQuest

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2012, 08:41:34 PM
they had tv back then?  WOW!   ;)

Oh, yes, we did. But the universe had not expanded beyond black and white yet.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

MetalDog

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2012, 02:45:15 PM
you up for my balls in your face tomorrow?

That is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on any forum!  And kudos to bob for taking it all in stride :-)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

yes Bob, great way to take it on the chin.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on November 16, 2012, 11:56:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 16, 2012, 02:45:15 PM
you up for my balls in your face tomorrow?

That is one of the funniest things I have EVER read on any forum!  And kudos to bob for taking it all in stride :-)

I can think of no better way to invite bob to a little blood bowl MP!