Close Combat:Panthers in the Fog is Released

Started by JudgeDredd, November 19, 2012, 01:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

Disregard.  I've gone back to be sucky.  :(

I might be addicted to this game.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison

Good grief.  Seriously.  What the hell historically took out Panthers?  I'm winning the current battle board through painful attrition which I'm sure will come back to bite me in the next two boards.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison

I haven't received any yet which is part of my struggle.  Although it's possible I missed one or two in an early battle but certainly zero in the last 4 battles.  3 of which had all the conditions to get one; day light and clear weather. 

I know a lot of folks are sort of writing this one off as yet another re-tread of an old engine which is too bad.  I haven't logged this much time into a wargame in quite sometime.  You going to buy it Star?

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on November 20, 2012, 11:54:11 PM
What the hell historically took out Panthers? 

The IS-2 on the Eastern Front and American close air support on the Western.

The Brits had the Firefly. Its 17-pounder crammed into a Sherman had the punch but lacked the armor to stand toe-to-toe with anything but a PzIV.

Historically you took five Shermans into a fight with one Panther. Sacrifice four to get the fifth one on its flank. American armor sucked.

At the very end of the war we fielded the Jackson, but IIRC we had about six of them in action when the war ended - not nearly enough to do more than prove the concept.

Some folks will argue that the first time America fielded a superior MBT was the M1 Abrams.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Bison

I'm thinking there is something amiss with the armor values.  I pounded the crap out a Panther with 4 tanks 2 Sherman, 1 Sherman106 and an AT M10 from the sides and the back and didn't dent it.  It however wiped out all four of mine.


LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 21, 2012, 12:49:48 AM
Pershings LB, Pershings  ;)

Right. Sorry. It's getting late. I'd like to blame the wine but it's only my second glass.

My problem is that I read recreationally rather than for knowledge. My brain gets stuffed with so much stuff that I can't remember what I can't remember.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on November 21, 2012, 01:01:25 AM
I'm thinking there is something amiss with the armor values.  I pounded the crap out a Panther with 4 tanks 2 Sherman, 1 Sherman106 and an AT M10 from the sides and the back and didn't dent it.  It however wiped out all four of mine.

That could be.

The problem with all of this is that it isn't as cut-and-dried as it might look on paper.

The Germans had a serious shortage of molybdenum in the late war. As a result their armor was more brittle than it ought to have looked on paper.

That said, a game is only as good as what was put into it. I wonder if the code takes into account flank and rear armor? If not then we might be looking at a game simulating what might have happened if the Germans had managed to field the King Tiger in real numbers. ;)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

King Tiger was an overrated piece of crap.  How's that for armor heresy?

I'm going to need to runs some tests if I can figure out how to set it up.  I want to know.  I'm like Leonard Nemoy "In Search of..."

MikeGER

#56
Quote from: Wolfe1759 on November 20, 2012, 07:43:15 PM
Hate the way they have split up the info panels - one top left other bottom right (rather than all together along the bottom of the screen)

Wolfe, you can grab and drag each of the 3 info panels with right mouse click to any place on the screen to arrange them to your needs.

on fog: there is a strong urge from the player community to get a on/off switch with a patch ... so very likely it get implemented 
(in addition there is no fog in zoomed out view... and i am finding my self more often zoomed out then zoomed in to orchestra the battle and don't miss events on other parts of the frontline)

btw: i like the way on-board mortars are handled now.
it take some time, then it shoots 2 zero-in rounds slow, then a fast barrage of 4-6 rounds, then fire mission is over, BUT the spot stay registered and is marked on the map, and can be hit with a new fire mission without zeroing-in.

in older CC games i sometimes wasted my ammo because i didn't end a firemission,
...and the gamy use of mortars as a über-weapon is much reduced now .
from the receiving side: i will have to find out if a gun-empalcement can be 'evacuated' with a vehicle next to it, when the first spotting round drops nearby       

Bison

I also like the motar registration.  I think you get the last three spots that the calculations remain in effect.  I forgot that your mortars fired until dry in earlier games.

Zulu1966

Quote from: Bison on November 20, 2012, 07:10:08 PM
Here you go.

Still not sure about this - I have a couple of the others and they kind of fall by the wayside fairly quickly.

The system that picture represents in Combat Mission would be a dream however.
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on November 21, 2012, 01:08:18 AM
King Tiger was an overrated piece of crap.  How's that for armor heresy?

I completely agree. (Thus my smiley)

Its engine was the same one used to power the Panther - a vehicle almost half its weight.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.