Mark Carney named Bank of England governor

Started by Mr. Bigglesworth, November 26, 2012, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Mark Carney is leaving the Bank of Canada to become governor of one of the world's oldest central banks, the Bank of England.


http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/mark-carney-named-bank-of-england-governor/article5661635/


8)
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Neat.

I need a new title. "Editor-in-Chief" is so...trite.

From now on, please refer to me as "Governor"

Thank you and carry on.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: LongBlade on November 26, 2012, 02:35:26 PM

From now on, please refer to me as "Governor"


:o

I've read enough of the Walking Dead graphic novels to know that I now need to keep a close watch on you...

LongBlade

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 26, 2012, 02:40:17 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 26, 2012, 02:35:26 PM

From now on, please refer to me as "Governor"


:o

I've read enough of the Walking Dead graphic novels to know that I now need to keep a close watch on you...

As if TGB's AAR wasn't clear enough...
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

'guv'nor' all you like, id still have shot you!

and any taxi driver in london will call you that for a modest fee of the fare

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 26, 2012, 02:46:02 PM
and any taxi driver in london will call you that for a modest fee of the fare

Perhaps, but 'round these parts the title still has meaning. Notice how Arctic blew a fuse? We're not big on titles on this side of the pond, but when we have one...look out!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MIGMaster

I noticed David Dodge wasn't invited to apply for the position. He had that freaky "shakey" voice - always sounded like he was defusing a bomb.... 

Windigo

Both are good, but only Mark publicly called out the banks and reminded them that the sun doesn't rise and set around them. IMO, banks are just a service like any prostitute, whoreing for money, a false sense of importance and limited ethics
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

bob48

There's a very tasty young lady works behind the counter at my bank......

Just sayin'
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

besilarius

Sigh!
Bob, Bob, Bob!
And where is Mrs. Bob with that frying pan?
Is there a streak of self-flagellation, just waiting for that "GLoiiingg!"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: besilarius on November 26, 2012, 06:37:20 PM
Sigh!
Bob, Bob, Bob!
And where is Mrs. Bob with that frying pan?
Is there a streak of self-flagellation, just waiting for that "GLoiiingg!"

Wait...so this guy is based on Bob's life?




Longdan

I thought it would be cool to be a Governor until I found out about
the adjective Gubernatorial.  It lost it's lustre.

digni enim sunt interdicunt

Staggerwing

I dunno... 'Goobernaturial' sounds like a high quality organic peanut butter. Makes me hungry for PB&J or maybe PB&H. And a big ol' glassa milk.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 26, 2012, 09:27:31 PM
I dunno... 'Goobernaturial' sounds like a high quality organic peanut butter. Makes me hungry for PB&J or maybe PB&H. And a big ol' glassa milk.

But most of all...I'm...I'm...I'm......


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InS3Jjtpks4
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Staggerwing

With out even clicking that I'm sure I know what it is...


Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys