A possible neo-exodus?

Started by Centurion40, January 15, 2013, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Centurion40

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/13/world/americas/cuba-travel-restrictions/index.html?hpt=hp_bn2

Quote
Havana, Cuba (CNN) -- Mileidy Ramayo hasn't seen her father since he left Cuba on a raft but is hoping the loosening of travel restrictions might help bring that reunion closer to taking place.
"I haven't seen my father since 1994. It would change my life to be able to see him and give him a hug," Ramayo said.

On Monday, Cubans will no longer need an exit permit and a letter of invitation from someone in another country to travel abroad.

I wonder how many will flee?  I also wonder how long it will be before we'll be able to buy property in Cuba?
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

Saw a news report today that they had (another) outbreak of cholera. Can't imagine things are too groovy there.

Castro II must be getting really old. Hopefully some wiser heads are figuring out how to buddy up to the folks who are geographically closest to them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

They should be able to import lots of crime from Jamaica.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

eyebiter

Cuba is concerned Venezuela will stop subsidizing their economy once Hugo Chavez expires.. If they can send excess citizens and troublemakers abroad, fewer mouths to feed at home.

Longdan

They must all come to America and be free!!!!
digni enim sunt interdicunt

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm just glad I got a chance to go there before it gets Borged by the corporations. 

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Quote from: Longdan on January 15, 2013, 08:53:29 PM
They must all come to America and be live here for free!!!!

Fixed that for you.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Longdan

That's your "fix" you own it now.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

W8taminute

Yeah, I unwillingly own it.  Damn communist country of mine.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on January 16, 2013, 12:42:40 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 15, 2013, 09:05:44 PM
Borged
Never heard this used as a word before, but I approve.

Been in use for a while. You'll sometimes here disgruntled gamers refer to Hasbro as "Hasborg."
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

It is also close to "borked".
digni enim sunt interdicunt

LongBlade

Quote from: Longdan on January 16, 2013, 05:07:48 PM
It is also close to "borked".

I'm thinking the etymology is different.

"Borked" comes from the character assassination of Robert Bork. These days it means "to besmirch (or attempt to do so) a person's political prospects."

Borged is derived from the Borg in Star Trek. Related to "you will be assimilated." In other words corrupted by a corporate process that will depart from creative roots and focus more on making money.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Longdan

I meant the letter "k" instead of "g" but, anyway you guys need some more freedom loving Cubans to come over.
digni enim sunt interdicunt

besilarius

Borked?
Borged?

Too complicated.  Oh for the crystal clear simplicity of the Daleks,  "Exterminate!  Exterminate!"
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.