Exodus Wars : Fractured Empires

Started by junk2drive, January 29, 2013, 09:41:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 10, 2013, 02:01:52 AM
Quote from: mikeck on January 30, 2013, 10:06:05 AM
I'll add this to the three hundred other games I want that are "in development" or looking for funding on kickstarter...do any of these games ever get released? So frustrating.(not this game) just venting while I wait for the imminent release of EB II (for the last year)

EB II?

Maybe Rome Total War 2.
Since it will have a newer (2) version of the the Europa Barbarum mod. :P

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

RooksBailey

#17
Looks like this finally made it to Steam as an Early Access title:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297270

Hope they can pull it off because this looks like it has the makings of that PC version of Hammer's Slammers I always wanted.   :)

Demo vid:




"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

tgb

In spite of my efforts to wean myself off Early Access, I'm intrigued.  My big question to any who have played it is if there is a strategic layer, or the campaign is just a series of connected skirmishes.

Tpek

Being an old time Indiegogo backer I got my Steam key today and 2 additional keys for friends.
So... any "buyers"? :P

tgb

Depending on the answer to my question above, I might be interested.

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Tpek on September 30, 2014, 09:46:51 AM
Being an old time Indiegogo backer I got my Steam key today and 2 additional keys for friends.
So... any "buyers"? :P

This is available for Linux so I'm definitely interested!  Looking at the system requirements however, I'm not convinced it would run well on my PC, so see if anyone else wants one first. :)

spelk

Quote from: tgb on September 30, 2014, 07:28:34 AM
In spite of my efforts to wean myself off Early Access, I'm intrigued.  My big question to any who have played it is if there is a strategic layer, or the campaign is just a series of connected skirmishes.

From the brief squizz I've had of it, the campaign looks to be a series of connected missions on different planets.

Its quite rough and ready. Animations are very basic. Some of my orders don't seem to take, and they drop back to regrouping  - but then I haven't gone through the tutorials.

It seems quite simplistic. But no doubt as they develop it, it should put some more meat on the bones.

I was only sucked in because I saw they had mechs.

Jarhead0331

I got sucked into this because it looked very WH40K Epic-ish.  Land warfare on a titanic scale.  I'll echo what Spelk said...it is still very rough and development has been moving along at a snail's pace.  For awhile, I was pretty certain the project was dead. However, they seem to have some renewed purpose and there have been some recent updates. We'll see...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


tgb

I did get sucked in as well and will echo the previous remarks, plus add that the tutorials are short, non-interactive movies and not very helpful. Also, in what may be a first for a turn-based war game, there's no saving during battles, although one of the developers posted on Steam that it was "planned".

TacticalWargames

Gone in my wish list...happy to support any developer trying to ge that tabletop experience.

Tpek

Instead of getting sucked in, why didn't you just message me via Steam or a private message or something for one of my 2 free keys? :P

Huw the Poo

Thanks to Tpek's generosity I now have a copy and it works on my PC!  Result!

Quick impressions are that it's still clearly in a very early state.  Not buggy (that I've noticed so far) but the sprites and animations are clearly placeholders.  Hopefully the sounds are placeholders too; when I moved some tanks I whirled around to find the cat that was apparently dying somewhere in my house...

The tutorials, as noted, are just videos and, again as noted, not helpful.  In fact they're already out of date, as the UI has changed a fair bit.  Also, the one tutorial I really needed - to explain how to issue the basic orders and how combat works - is currently missing.  As a result I was not able to issue fire commands to my units, being told every time I tried that my unit would lose coherency.  I saw no way to rectify that.

There seems to be no easy way to know which units you've moved.  Their icons do seem to turn a different colour on the main map, but I found myself selecting units from the unit list most often and that has no indication of activation status at all.

Apart from all that, the game certainly has promise, but it's way too early to tell how it will shape up.  It needs a lot of work.  The developers claim that the suppression mechanic is what will differentiate Exodus Wars from other turn-based wargames.  I'm not an expert but I can't imagine suppression is a rare mechanic in the genre...?

Still, it could be good with a lot more development time, it supports Linux straight out of the box, and I got it for free so I'm not complaining at all. :)  I'll keep you all updated as development progresses.

TacticalWargames

I too now have a copy thanks to Tpek!

Massive thanks Sir!

Huw the Poo

Exodus Wars just got an update.  You can now see which units have been activated in the unit list which is a most welcome addition.  Apparently the tutorial videos have been updated too, but I haven't checked yet.  I was able to successfully fire at my enemy post-update so things are shaping up!