Main Menu

Snowmageddon!

Started by mirth, February 07, 2013, 05:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Staggerwing

Dan, this snow ain't melting away after a couple of 38F-40F days. It will just get packed down more.

Also, I'm not in Boston. I can see Long Island from my roof.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 10, 2013, 02:19:08 PM
^If you're bored y'all can come up here and help me shovel since the frakking tire just came of my blower- cheap piece of crap! Keeping the old ticker in mind, I've got an few more sessions of regular shoveling until I get the the end of the drive, where a trifecta of town bulldozer, front-end loader, and aforementioned hapless DPW plowtruck have built me a wall of snow high enough to keep the entire Pictish Confederation out for a decade or two.

This is the worst.  Especially now that there has been a little melting and refreezing.  You may want to look into something explosive to deal with this.  Bangalore torpedoes come to mind.   ;D
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

'Wing maybe I can get my dog to pull a tabogen up to you for rescue. He'll arrive with rum under his chin, of course.

We're supposed to get ice tonight that will turn to rain tomorrow. Long term forecast is for another storm next weekend. That will be much more dangerous as my mother will be visiting for the weekend.

I don't want to think about it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on February 10, 2013, 05:26:46 PM
'Wing maybe I can get my dog to pull a tabogen up to you for rescue. He'll arrive with rum under his chin, of course.

Thanks for the offer, Gus. My kids and I are set up pretty good as far as heat and vittles. Beer OTOH...  :(
On second though that little keg of rum might come in handy.

QuoteWe're supposed to get ice tonight that will turn to rain tomorrow. Long term forecast is for another storm next weekend. That will be much more dangerous as my mother will be visiting for the weekend.

I don't want to think about it.

We can only hope next weekend will be a dud. For tomorrow, I'm just thrilled about having to shovel snow/ice in the rain. This storm just keeps on giving doesn't it?

Quote from: TheCommandTent on February 10, 2013, 05:25:04 PM

This is the worst.  Especially now that there has been a little melting and refreezing.  You may want to look into something explosive to deal with this.  Bangalore torpedoes come to mind.   ;D
Hmmm... tempting... or maybe an M4 Rhino variant.  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

Right now the forecast for next week is for snow both Saturday and Sunday :/ I may have to climb to the roof and shovel off what is there after tomorrow's ice and rain before my house starts to crack like an egg shell.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 10, 2013, 06:22:56 PMFor tomorrow, I'm just thrilled about having to shovel snow/ice in the rain. This storm just keeps on giving doesn't it?

News here indicates you guys need to get that snow off your roofs ASAP. When the rain comes, the snow will absorb it and they're worried roofs will fail under the weight.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

Too dangerous now. It's dark out and my roof is snow covered. Plus my roof is about 75 feet off the ground at it's high point. I will be seriously injured if not killed out right if I go up there now.

...maybe I'll send The Wife :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

A warehouse in my town already collapsed yesterday morning. I doubt it'll be the last.

I have a pitched roof and a roof rake so after I breach Frosty's Rampart I'll try and get some of that stuff off the roof as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

My roof is also pitched. I need to get a roof rake, I always forget before I need it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

75' is kinda long even for a roof rake. Some have optional extensions but I'm not sure how many you can add before it bends under it's own weight.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 10, 2013, 07:10:54 PM
75' is kinda long even for a roof rake. Some have optional extensions but I'm not sure how many you can add before it bends under it's own weight.

Maybe if Gus wore high heels?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

Quote from: LongBlade on February 10, 2013, 07:40:30 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 10, 2013, 07:10:54 PM
75' is kinda long even for a roof rake. Some have optional extensions but I'm not sure how many you can add before it bends under it's own weight.

Maybe if Gus wore high heels?

They don't make'em 74 feet six inches, do they?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on February 10, 2013, 07:47:44 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on February 10, 2013, 07:40:30 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on February 10, 2013, 07:10:54 PM
75' is kinda long even for a roof rake. Some have optional extensions but I'm not sure how many you can add before it bends under it's own weight.

Maybe if Gus wore high heels?

They don't make'em 74 feet six inches, do they?

Pics or it didn't happen!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Gusington

You guys are silly. I have porch and one room that I can climb on top of to get to the highest part of the roof if I have to. I do that to clean the gutters.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd