Unity of Command Turns Red

Started by Bismarck, February 21, 2013, 04:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

May be old news but UC has a new expansion. You can buy it at Matrix. When I tried to buy it on Steam, I already had it. Weird but I'm not complaining.

Arlington, VT, February  21, 2013 –  Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is proud to announce the release of Unity of Command: Red Turn, the first DLC for Unity of Command, for both PC and Mac. The story is set shortly after the events of the Stalingrad Campaign focusing on Operation Citadel, the ill-fated German attack at Kursk.

Unity of Command: Red Turn is  a Turn-Based strategy game developed by 2x2 Games that relives the gigantic Soviet campaign made by German Army in  Eastern Front near the city of Kursk in July and August 1943. It is remembered as the largest series of armored clashes and the costliest single day of aerial warfare in history.

The Soviet campaign features 17 scenarios, which put together tell the story of how a maturing Red Army won the war through perfecting the art of the deep operation – essentially a Soviet variant of the blitzkrieg. 2x2 Games has added scenarios that cover everything from large scale operations such as Rumyantsev or Bagration, to the more confined and intricate affairs such as the Battle for Kiev in November 1943.

There are also four scenarios that have been developed specifically for multi-player, including the tense Korsun Pocket and Operation Konrad.

The PC and Mac releases of Unit of Command: Red Turn are available in the Matrix Games Online Store.  The Mac version of Unity of Command: Red Turn requires the 1.04a update.

For more information check out the dedicated product page.
Jim Cobb

Arctic Blast

Well, that only took them...what...3 months? 4?

I finally went ahead and just got a new serial key from the devs.

Good grief, they still couldn't be bothered to pull UoC out of the 'WW2 games' forum graveyard even with a new content release. Nice.

Windigo

costliest single day of aerial warfare in history.

uurrrmm?
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Bismarck

Yes, Matrix service slipped when Slitherine took over. They advertising on their forum but no way to buy it from their store.
Jim Cobb

spelk

I'm glad the UoC boys had a mechanism in place to turn Matrix bought UoC into one that allowed you to get the expansion when it first released, Matrix are looking at 2 months delay here (almost)!

Wolfe1759

Quote from: Bismarck on February 21, 2013, 04:59:04 PM
They advertising on their forum but no way to buy it from their store.

Also there is no sign of the 1.04 patch for the PC version which I am pretty certain is a prerequisite to being able to use the Red Turn DLC.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Bismarck

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on February 21, 2013, 06:25:19 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on February 21, 2013, 04:59:04 PM
They advertising on their forum but no way to buy it from their store.

Also there is no sign of the 1.04 patch for the PC version which I am pretty certain is a prerequisite to being able to use the Red Turn DLC.

The patch is on the 2X@ website.
Jim Cobb

JasonPratt

It's possible that the delay of providing it on their own site was part of a deal made for distributing elsewhere (such as at Steam).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Staggerwing

Quote from: Windigo on February 21, 2013, 04:58:17 PM
costliest single day of aerial warfare in history.

uurrrmm?

QuoteThe Battle of Kursk was a World War II engagement between German and Soviet forces on the Eastern Front near the city of Kursk, (450 kilometers / 280 miles south of Moscow) in the Soviet Union in July and August 1943. It was both the largest series of armored clashes, including the Battle of Prokhorovka, and the costliest single day of aerial warfare in history. The battle was the final strategic offensive the Germans were able to mount in the east, and the decisive Soviet victory gave the Red Army the strategic initiative for the remainder of the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Arctic Blast

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 27, 2013, 04:54:59 PM
It's possible that the delay of providing it on their own site was part of a deal made for distributing elsewhere (such as at Steam).

Except that the developer have had the patch for months now, as have the Steam and Gamersgate versions (which are both distributed by the developer) . It was only Slitherine lagging way behind.

ComradeP

The delay was caused by the Matrix holiday season deadline being fairly early and Matrix both prioritizing other games and generally not releasing much in January or early February (for clarification: I'm the scenario designer for the game). They've done this for years now (more or less close down for a few weeks and then only slowly getting back up to speed) so as a regular customer I'm used to it, but it can be inconvenient, particularly now that it concerns a product I've also worked on.

We intended to release a new patch this week, but Tomislav had to go on a business trip to the US and has the flu at the moment so it might slip to next week.

The product description is somewhat odd, as I just noticed.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Rayfer

The 1.04 patch and the 'turns red' add-on are both available now on the Matrix site.  I just downloaded the patch from there and I see the game is $9.99 digital download.

JasonPratt

Quote from: ComradeP on February 28, 2013, 09:02:11 AM
(for clarification: I'm the scenario designer for the game).

Cool! I remember you from the Wargamers forum, too!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MengJiao

Quote from: Bismarck on February 21, 2013, 04:05:25 PM
May be old news but UC has a new expansion. You can buy it at Matrix. When I tried to buy it on Steam, I already had it. Weird but I'm not complaining.

Arlington, VT, February  21, 2013 –  Matrix Games (www.matrixgames.com) is proud to announce the release of Unity of Command: Red Turn, the first DLC for Unity of Command, for both PC and Mac. The story is set shortly after the events of the Stalingrad Campaign focusing on Operation Citadel, the ill-fated German attack at Kursk.

Unity of Command: Red Turn is  a Turn-Based strategy game developed by 2x2 Games that relives the gigantic Soviet campaign made by German Army in  Eastern Front near the city of Kursk in July and August 1943. It is remembered as the largest series of armored clashes and the costliest single day of aerial warfare in history.

The Soviet campaign features 17 scenarios, which put together tell the story of how a maturing Red Army won the war through perfecting the art of the deep operation – essentially a Soviet variant of the blitzkrieg. 2x2 Games has added scenarios that cover everything from large scale operations such as Rumyantsev or Bagration, to the more confined and intricate affairs such as the Battle for Kiev in November 1943.

There are also four scenarios that have been developed specifically for multi-player, including the tense Korsun Pocket and Operation Konrad.

The PC and Mac releases of Unit of Command: Red Turn are available in the Matrix Games Online Store.  The Mac version of Unity of Command: Red Turn requires the 1.04a update.

For more information check out the dedicated product page.

I got the pink hint about starting a new topic...but did I flinch?  No!  Not for one second.  Anyway, I got Unity of Command.  I was looking for a simple, but entertaining, game and it definitely is all that.  It's also kind of elegant (as Gus has pointed out) in a vaguely Walt Disney kind of way.  So far I've only really been puzzled by the Stalingrad (yes, Sir, Uranus if you are Russian) Scenario.  Oddly enough, the one place the Germans get no points for holding is Stalingrad.  So they don't.  They win by running away.  Clever, but not the Germans we wargamers have learned to complain about...so I'm not complaining.  I'm just puzzled.