Main Menu

WWI Strategic Games

Started by panzerde, February 21, 2013, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Well they always say the first step is admitting you have a problem. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

Quote from: Martok on March 03, 2013, 02:15:28 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on March 02, 2013, 05:47:25 PM
I mark up the "boring" tag to the Anglo-American fixation on the Western Front trenches. Movies, plays etc find that narrow topic easy because of low-budget sets.  People wring their hands over the Somme but few mention the division that used novel tactics and made their objective with acceptable casualties.
For me, at least, I confess this was indeed the case. 

It wasn't til I started hanging around you yahoos that I began to have a greater and deeper understanding/appreciation of what went on outside of battles like Verdun and the Somme.  (In fact, it's only because of you guys that I started to get interested in WW1 games like CTGW.)

I find it most satisfying that we we're able to help.
Jim Cobb

Martok

I'm just as glad to have been enlightened.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

jomni

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 02, 2013, 11:33:36 PM
It was all infiltration oking helmets I couldn't get past--and the trenches. I'd read about the French '14 campaign and the Battle of the Marne before but never really the how's and why's of how it all came about. This early period of manuver warfare is now a must read for me.

Dont underestimate the trenches. It actually led to the evolution of squad tacticss and infiltration. You won't see that in a strategic scale.

Bismarck

Very  true    but  try telling that to an audience in the 20s and 30s.
Jim Cobb

panzerde

Quote from: Bismarck on March 03, 2013, 08:24:36 PM
Very  true    but  try telling that to an audience in the 20s and 30s.

Insufficient "pew-pew" for the younger set, I suspect.

All of this has reminded me about a lot I'd forgotten about WWI, and prompted me to learn more about the strategic and political aspects of the war.  On the tactical front, it's fascinating to try and grapple with what are essentially Napoleonic armies at the start equipped with technologies nearly a century beyond that thinking.  It's what you could see starting to happen during the American Civil War, writ large.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

^Good post, and that in a nutshell explains my interest in it.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

What I meant  was the fervent, anti-militaristic mind set. I like Sasooon's an Owen's poetry but will not set policy by them. Some   people did.
Jim Cobb

chemkid

great thread! just wanted to say thank you!!

chem!