Horizon - Turn-based galactic conquest

Started by Huw the Poo, April 11, 2013, 02:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

#30
I am getting really sick of these indie 4X sci-fi games.  I mean, they all seem to be copies of each other, and copies of games that are decades old at this point.  And none of them have bothered to bring anything really new to the table (well, except Sins RTS environment, and Distant Worlds private sector - kudos to them).  How about innovating the genre instead of just re-using the same formula time and again?!?!  It's always planets and space ships, abstract research and diplomacy.  Dry as a spreadsheet. 

Lord, what I would give for a sci-fi 4X game with the deep character interactions and dynastic politics of Crusader Kings 2.  Feel free to take this idea and run with it devs!  It will profit you more than copying MoO 2 for the 146th time.  Or is it 147?   >:(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

W8taminute

I hear what you're saying Rooks.  I picked up Endless Space last week when it was on sale in STEAM.  I've played about 2 hours worth of it and to me it's kind of meh.  Just another space game that is trying to be different. 

It seems that MOO2 was the last of the great space games that is the template now for every other space game out there.  Look at GalCiv, Sins, Armada, etc.  They all seem to have the same type of gameplay.  Don't get me wrong, all of these games are great in their own way but none deliver the complete experience as well as MOO2 did for me.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

tgb

4X used to be my favorite genre, but even I am burned out on the formula. I was watching a Let's Play of the beta for the upcoming Pandora:First Contact, and all I could think about was how much I enjoyed it back when it was called Alpha Centauri.

Anguille

I haven't played the game yet but they always said that there are story aspects that will show up also in late game to keep the end-game interesting. Don't have any time now to test it however.

PanzersEast

Just a heads up.... GreenManGaming has it for $18.99 and then add the 25% discount and it comes out to $14.25.  Still in beta, but have read promising things.



PE

Jarhead0331

There have been two rather large updates to the game over the last week or so, as well.  Have not explored changes, but the development is ongoing and that, at least, seems promising.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


tgb

I bought it a couple of weeks ago and played for about an hour.  It has potential, but I have such a large backlog I decided to uninstall until it's finished.

PanzersEast

I'd be interested to hear how it has changed..... It has been on my radar for a while as it has the MOO feel to it.  I heard the AI needed a lot of work, and that their currently is no difficulty setting.


PE