Main Menu

Toonces' ARMA thread

Started by Toonces, April 17, 2013, 01:57:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

Hello all.

I'm pretty late to the party on this one, but I'm starting to really get into ARMA2 and I want to have a thread where I can consolidate my questions regarding ARMA2 and the upcoming ARMA3.

First questions:

What do you guys think of the Czech and British DLCs?  I'm not sure why, but I really want to get the Czech DLC for some reason.

Next, what do you guys think of the D-Day DLC for Iron Front, especially for single player?  I'm almost 100% a single player guy.  I've been messing around with creating single player scenarios in ARMA2 and Iron Front using that website Planned Assault the last week.  The ARMA2 ones are coming out ok, but I have yet to create a successful Iron Front scenario.  I'm not a big east front guy, but I don't want to just throw money into D-Day DLC if it's a total bomb.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

The Brit DLC is excellent.  It adds a tonne of new weapons, equipment, and vehicles and the campaign is generally quite good, if a little short.

The Czech DLC is not so great.  It doesn't add a whole lot in the way of new gear and the Czech weapons come off as kind of aenemic compared to other NATO gear in ArmA.  The campaign is longer than the Brit one but it just recycles a map from the base game (with a slightly different skin) and it's got a fair number of scripting bugs.  It's not terrible, but I'd wait for a sale.

The D-Day DLC for Iron Front is not the best for single player.  There is no campaign and only a handful of missions.  The Normandy map is quite large and looks fantastic and the new US weapons make for a nice departure from the Soviet gear.  I've been able to create some interesting missions using Planned Assault and they've generally worked well enough (as long as you understand the limitations of Arma AI.)  There are still some bugs in the game such as the one that prevents you from using landing craft on the beach as they tend to catapult your men 50 metres into the sky when the gate opens.

The publisher of Iron Front pulled the plug on any further support so it's unlikely it'll ever be fixed.  The developers want to continue work on it but their contract forbids them from doing so or allowing mods so know that it's still got problems and they're not going away.  The news that Deep Silver stopped support for the game has also had a dampening affect on the MP community and a lot of players dropped out in favour of going back to the I44 mod for Arma 2.

Personally, I'm happy with it, but I mainly play MP.  Again, for single player, I'd recommend waiting for a sale.




bayonetbrant

Quote from: Toonces on April 17, 2013, 01:57:46 AMI'm not sure why, but I really want to get the Czech DLC for some reason.

I think you just made Smuck's day
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 17, 2013, 04:27:48 AM
The Brit DLC is excellent.  It adds a tonne of new weapons, equipment, and vehicles and the campaign is generally quite good, if a little short.

The Czech DLC is not so great.  It doesn't add a whole lot in the way of new gear and the Czech weapons come off as kind of aenemic compared to other NATO gear in ArmA.  The campaign is longer than the Brit one but it just recycles a map from the base game (with a slightly different skin) and it's got a fair number of scripting bugs.  It's not terrible, but I'd wait for a sale.

The D-Day DLC for Iron Front is not the best for single player.  There is no campaign and only a handful of missions.  The Normandy map is quite large and looks fantastic and the new US weapons make for a nice departure from the Soviet gear.  I've been able to create some interesting missions using Planned Assault and they've generally worked well enough (as long as you understand the limitations of Arma AI.)  There are still some bugs in the game such as the one that prevents you from using landing craft on the beach as they tend to catapult your men 50 metres into the sky when the gate opens.

The publisher of Iron Front pulled the plug on any further support so it's unlikely it'll ever be fixed.  The developers want to continue work on it but their contract forbids them from doing so or allowing mods so know that it's still got problems and they're not going away.  The news that Deep Silver stopped support for the game has also had a dampening affect on the MP community and a lot of players dropped out in favour of going back to the I44 mod for Arma 2.

Personally, I'm happy with it, but I mainly play MP.  Again, for single player, I'd recommend waiting for a sale.

I never got the Czech DCL, but other than that I completely agree with SDRrobot's appraisals.  Recently I've been playing ARMAIII alpha so my memories of ARMA2 are fading fast.  The I44 and similar mods were interesting, though when I played them a lot of things didn't quite exactly work.  I briefly played multiplayer in about June 2010, but ever after I've been working in the editor.

PanzersEast

The British DLC is worth it.... I would also recommend checking out http://www.plannedassault.com/ if you play single player.  It will create missions based on the criteria you set and supports a lot of mods and DLC.

Wonder if any Grogs would be interested in getting together regularly and playing<?>

PE

jomni

The Brit DLC has a very good random objective partol mission.
Although the same game mode can be played as USMC or German, the British squad is my favorite.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Do you have the PMC DLC?  It got a lot of hate when it was released as it didn't offer anywhere near as much goodness as Operation Arrowhead or the British DLC but I thought it was alright.  The SP campaign had some pretty interesting missions, a hilariously foul mouthed Scotsman, and some fun new weapons and optics.  Seriously, grab that full auto shotgun and load it with HE rounds and its impossible not to have fun.

Toonces

I went all-in on D-Day DLC for Iron Front, and just clicked purchase on ARMA 3. 

More to follow....out.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Toonces

...Which means I have a couple of ARMA3 Lite keys to give away, if anyone is interested...
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

I tried ARMA 3 lite (my brain always reads that as 'Armalite 3' for some reason) when JH kindly gave me a key but I was never able to get the game to run at all. As soon as the exe shows in the task manager it immediately closes down again. I was not able to get any solutions browsing the forums either. Anyone else have that problem?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Toonces

I couldn't find a dedicated ARMA 2 thread through the search engine so I'm bumping this one.

For those of you that might be unfamiliar with it I recently discovered and installed the Unsung Mod for ARMA 2 and it's really well done.  It's a Vietnam full conversion mod with several maps, new vehicles, helos, jets, etc.  similar to the RHS mod for Cold War stuff.

The installation isn't intuitive from the directions.  I downloaded, put the @UNS folder in my main ARMA 2 Arrowhead folder, as well as the missions and campaigns folders, allowing them to merge.  I also download and placed the CBA mod in my main folder.  Activating these two seems to have eliminated most of the pop-up bugs I was getting.  ACE doesn't seem to be compatible, or else I couldn't get it to work properly with the Unsung Mod.

I recommend giving it a try if you haven't seen it, and are still playing ARMA 2, and have a Vietnam itch.  The mod is being ported to ARMA 3, and I saw a post from a developer as recent as a week ago saying they are still working on the port, so if you're all-in on ARMA 3 and not in a hurry then you might just want to wait.

Sorry, but my screenshots didn't take.  I'll work to get some soon, though.  So far I've only messed with some of the single missions and some quick missions.  I'm not sure how to make a quick mission using the Vietnam objects, though, so really they're just playing on the maps with modern gear...

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12267

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni


Skoop

I've played this before in 2011, surprised it's not been ported sooner.  There's Vietnam the experience mod already ported to Arma3, haven't tried it yet.  There's also Iron Front In Arma3 that's availaible, they are still adding to it though and will eventually replace the vanilla game.  I found a group on steam that still plays iron front religiously every Friday and Saturday, it's been a blast playing it again.

Toonces

I haven't tried VTE in A3 yet.  I did play it in A2 but Unsung seems much more polished.  I was pretty heavy into modding Falcon over at the PMC site back before Snakeman had his meltdown and made everything in his Falcon 4 part payware...it's a long story. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

Thanks to a generous GrogHeader I have a copy of ARMA 2, but couldn't get into it. I'm going to try again soon now that I've seen there's tons of mods for it. I'm not much of a mod guy but I'll try almost anything once.