What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

I started the third book in a 3-part series covering the battles for Rabaul during WWII.  Lots of great info and stories in there and it really helps flesh out my experiences playing the Coral Sea campaign in War in the Pacific and the early war Pacific air battles in Wing Leader.  It also compelled me to start working on a multi-mission campaign for Wing Leader.

The first book in the series, Invasion Rabaul: The Epic Story of Lark Force, the Forgotten Garrison, January - July 1942, was a little slow and somewhat depressing as it basically covered the experiences of a small garrison force of Australians as they were abandoned by their government and overrun by the Japanese.  It took me quite a while to plough through it  and I was a bit worried that the next two books would be more of the same but fortunately that wasn't the case.

The second book, Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 covers the battles for the Coral Sea and the early days of the air war around Rabaul and Port Moresby.   Fascinating stuff to read of the limitations of the P-39 and P-40s, the development of skip bombing, and so on.

The third book, Target: Rabaul: The Allied Siege of Japan's Most Infamous Stronghold, March 1943 - August 1945 looks at MacArthur's, Kenney's, and Halsey's battles in the Solomans, the air war over Rabaul, and the attacks on Truk.  I'm only about 100 pages in so far but it's really quite good so far.   

Greybriar

Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 09:02:43 AM
That's kinda left field there Greybriar. Are you a big fan?....

I am probably less of a big fan of Hepburn's than I am of other old time movie stars like Bogart, Cagney, Stewart, etc. But she has played some damned fine roles (think of her part in the African Queen, for example). Since I knew absolutely nothing about her, I decided to read her autobiography which also served to get me out of the rut I have been in.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Gusington on October 15, 2015, 09:02:43 AM
That's kinda left field there Greybriar. Are you a big fan?

BC I don't have a tablet, my laptop is from 2005, and my phone is over 4 years old. Guess I am out of luck.

My gaming rig is damned sweet though :)

I have a tablet I'm not using that you can have. It's not new but it will do fine for an e-reader. PM me if you want it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^Thanks for the offer. Is it capable of that new book smell?

Greybriar I just recently watched the African Queen...loved it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

Beware the Russian Bear.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1908699582?qid=1443952799&ref
Have not picked this up, but sounds very intriguing.  Anyone heard about it?
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

Reading the 2nd book in The Scourge series by Roberto Calas - Nostrum. Zombie armageddon in 14th century England.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Love him or hate him I very nearly got junior into the last terry pratchett book - there's a small table in the local bookshop where you can read with the kids - read her a few pages but she wasn't keen - maybe next year

mirth

The Accountant's Story: Inside the Violent World of the Medellín Cartel
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Mr. Bigglesworth

American Heritage History of World War II

$2.99 today on amazon. Note the History of the Civil War is also $2.99 today.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

I always loved those American Heritage histories.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Ubercat

The many pictures in the hard copy versions of those book are NOT included. It's just the text.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

MetalDog

Read that trilogy many years ago.  Most of it was over my head, but, I gave it a shot.  Will get back to it again some day.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Lewis' Space Trilogy is definitely an acquired taste. It's a fond salute as well as an ideological critique of Wells and Verne (Verne himself cameos once or twice in That Hideous Strength -- inadvertently working for the villains), and the writing style reflects that. Not sure I've ever read the series more than twice, and I'm someone who appreciates his work a lot (theological and otherwise -- I'm one of the few living people who not only own a copy of Oxford's History of English Literature 16th Century Excluding Drama, but enjoyed reading it. {checking} Bleeping bleep, I may have a first edition!!  :o :o :o When people talk about how Lewis mostly gave up writing theology after WW2, I point out that that's because he spent 10 years working on the manuscript of what he testily nicknamed the OHEL during all his free time.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!