More DLC for Graviteam Tactics...

Started by Jarhead0331, April 25, 2013, 12:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Dolan50

I've had them slaughtered even in entrenchments.
The best I've found to do with the infantry when tanks are around is forbid fire to the tanks and try to hide them in buildings and woods till the tanks go away.
The tanks just crush them in the entrenchments.

I would like to see the infantry at least have some kind of killing power against immobilized tanks that have no infantry supporting them.Instead they just stare at it.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

-budd-

I always had way more luck with the Russian infantry against tanks. Put them in defensive posture and leave them alone always worked best for me. the German infantry are another story altogether ;)
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Nefaro

The actual process of patching isn't .. too terrible, after you've done it.

What puts me in a tizzy is that I have to sort through all the Gamersgate pages for each release & DLC and d/l files for every one.  Then update one at a time.

It becomes more like updating seven games, rather than just one!   ???  Madness!  :P

Silent Disapproval Robot

You're doing too much work.  You don't need to re-patch each DLC when a new core patch comes out.

jomni

Quote from: -budd- on August 14, 2013, 09:16:16 PM
I always had way more luck with the Russian infantry against tanks. Put them in defensive posture and leave them alone always worked best for me. the German infantry are another story altogether ;)

Russian bias

Silent Disapproval Robot


Nefaro

#171
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 14, 2013, 09:25:04 PM
You're doing too much work.  You don't need to re-patch each DLC when a new core patch comes out.

Oh?  I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the update readme notes.  Every new release requires a separate content update for the DLC packs along with the main program.

The Gamersgate DLC pages each get their own update package that has to be installed via the patcher utility, after every update. No?  Otherwise just the main game's update would have everything in it and there would be no need to download the latest DLC update package for each of the add-ons (and hence no need for him to upload the DLC update packs in the first place).

Silent Disapproval Robot

I don't think that's the case.  I just update with the patches listed on the APOS page at GG unless I see something specifically stating that I need to install a DLC update.  The only one I can recall seeing was for the High Res textures DLC.

jomni

#173
I only have 3 patches in the following order. 

1 Game Update 4.07
2 Addon Operation Hooper 1.01
3 Addon Shield of the Prophet 1.01

I suppose when the new core game patch is out and no updates for the addons,  I just install it and it will replace #1 spot.  If not I have to change the order such that the core game update is always first.

I never dealt with the hi res texture DLC because it took too long to download.  And I never download updates from Gamersgate.  I go straight to Graviteam website and get the latest.

Dolan50

Your order is fine,just apply the next patch when it comes out.
If you had the Hi res texture DLC or the district update that would go above the game update,but everything else needs no particular order.

When you download  a DLC or patch for the game look at the read me,sometimes there are special instructions for the update order.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Dolan50

#175
"But the makers are Ukrainians."

Yes they're Ukrainian.
I still suspect them of being Ukrainian with a Russian bias.
I had to turn the speech off in the option menu because I couldn't stand hearing the German soldiers yell "We are all going to die" every couple minutes during fire fights.
And some of the earlier versions of the game gave the Germans some really hideous facial features(pointed ears,hooked noses) very demonizing.

Also,they're eastern Ukrainians.From what I understand they tend to be more pro Russian then their western Ukrainian counter parts.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Dolan50

Andrey is posting a lot of screenshots of the Shilovo campaign on the Graviteam forum.
I have a feeling that the Zhalanashkol 1969 DLC really bombed in sales and He is stepping up the exposure for Shilovo in the hope of not having a repeat sales performance with the next release.
So far,the interest and feedback for Shilovo seems to be all positive.

I thought it was a bad move to go ahead with the Zhalanashkol project,especially with all the negative feed back and lack of interest for it that was being posted by the community.
I didn't like the whole idea or premise for that DLC either,and I'm almost what would be considered a hardcore fanboy of that series and generally buy whatever they make as soon as it's released.

It would be a very sad gaming day for me personally if this company ever folded and went under.I love their WW2 DLCs and would like to see them produce a lot more for a very long time.
This is the game I always wanted and dreamed about when I used to play and enjoy Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader decades ago.
No other company does this type of game better then Graviteam and I would be hard pressed to find a replacement to this game that fits my personal exacting standards for the kind of quality,graphics and attention to detail that I've come to expect from the Graviteam products.

Which is why I hope they stick to WW2 mostly.That seems to be where their loyal customer base is rooted and what their most avid fans are interested in seeing them spend most their effort on.

I also have a feeling that Graviteam has no idea of what kind of modern DLCs to make that will generate enough sales or interest that will pay for itself.
They have a good idea what they won't do as far as themes and subject matter.Which is almost comical in a way because it's basically in that same exact direction most of us would like to see them steer towards,not away from as they branch out from WW2.

There are a few who like the novelty 3rd world modern brush war conflicts or little border skirmishes,and they most likely generate some extra sales,but I doubt Graviteam could ever sustain itself by delving too much or too deeply into them.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

sandman2575

Quote from: Dolan50 on August 15, 2013, 03:17:32 PM
Which is why I hope they stick to WW2 mostly.That seems to be where their loyal customer base is rooted and what their most avid fans are interested in seeing them spend most their effort on.


Couldn't agree more.  The Zhalanshkol DLC was, to say the least, a quixotic project.  A less kind word would be 'pigheaded,' as in, 'I don't care if nobody wants this game, this is what you're getting.'  The idea of an upcoming pre-WW2 skirmish set in Brazil (Uruguay?) strikes me as similarly...misguided.

I will buy Mius Front on day one.  WW2 is Graviteam's bread and butter.  They shouldn't stray too far from it...

Jarhead0331

I can't agree that the game should not venture beyond WWII.  I found the Soviet/Iran DLC in Afghanistan to be outstanding.  The Angolan campaign was very interesting, as well.  Certainly, the post-WWII campaigns in SABOW are very impressive, as well.  There are a lot of Cold War era conflicts that could be modeled well with this engine.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Silent Disapproval Robot

I also like the lesser known post WWII stuff.  I had no problem with the subject matter of the USSR vs PRC DLC (man that's a lot of acronyms).  My issue with it was the lack if scale.  Had they expanded omit and featured a what-if campaign involving a full scale conventional arms dust up, I would bought it in a heartbeat.

I think where GT might be stumbling is in their unwillingness to invest the time and money needed to build all the units and terrain for a whole new campaign.  Instead we get little mini updates covering the same early to mud war eastern front stuff wherein nearly all the units are simply recycled.  Or they just do the same with SABOW units.

They're doing the same with the USSR vs Japan DLC.  Adding a few new Japanese units and just re-using the early war Soviet stuff.  I can't see this one being much more popular than the PRC release.