Looking for a trade/ship oriented (war)game 1600 - 1750 era.

Started by Yskonyn, May 01, 2013, 01:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

Steam has PR3, Gus. Sorry.
AoP 2 is nowhere to be found.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JasonPratt

Amazon US (possibly other branches) still has some AoP2 copies by indie sellers.

Or did before I and some others made a run on them. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Thanks guys. FYI I have a copy of AoP2 - City of Abandoned Ships in my Amazon cart right now. Haven't looked on Steam yet for Port Royale 3. I liked the remake of Pirates and these games sound much deeper.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Hmz.. Amazon US will cost me too much for shipping I am afraid.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I'm also checking out Patrician IV on Steam right now. I played the first game but it flummoxed me. Is the newest one more accessible?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Pat3 was (somewhat) more accessible; my guess from what (little) I've heard is that Pat4 is more accessible again.

Is there a demo on Steam?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Some quick Pat4 accessibility notes; there are two versions of the game, regular Pat4 and the expansion (Rise of a Dynasty) which appears to require Pat4. I don't know why someone would play Pat4 if they had the expansion, or just how important the expansion is to the experience. (I happen to own both from a gold edition or something.) I do know that the two editions are patched completely separately, and activated completely separately -- in fact the main version of the game has a whole other level of activation that the expansion doesn't have, yet the expansion can be played without having activated the main game! (I did this sort-of-by-accident.) There is off-site DRM of some sort; I had already registered some kind of account somewhere with a password, although I don't know when or where. Possibly this is not a separate issue with Steam; my version came from Gamersgate, and does not use Steam activation.

Regardless, either version of the game features a campaign as well as freeplay and (for the expansion) scenarios. The campaign acts as a tutorial with advice in various forms.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Pat4-Rise of A Dynasty was just an expansion.  You still need the original Patrician 4 to use it, unless you get the Patrician 4 Gold edition which includes both.

Port Royale 3 has the base game and something like 3 expansions.  The expansions for either of these base games aren't anything huge so if you don't feel like splurging a bit extra for the DLC, it's not a big loss.

Pat4 is probably cheaper since it's a bit older.  But when I think of wooden ships, I think of the 17th & 18th century stuff portrayed in PR3 - not the older Hanseatic League stuff in the Patrician series.  Caribbean or bust!

Gusington

Of course I don't know which to pick now...Port Royale 3...Patrician 4...or Age of Pirates 2...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Ashcloud



Ashcloud

Quote from: Nefaro on May 04, 2013, 04:40:32 AM
Quote from: Ashcloud on May 04, 2013, 04:29:30 AM
How about East India Company Collection? http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-EICC/east-india-company-collection

LOL!

Did you read the earlier posts, AC?  ;D

Dang, how embarrassing. I should remember to read a bit more before I start typing - anyway reason I asked is I have a copy to trade/gift on Gamersgate if anyone is interested.

Yskonyn

I would be interested, but I have nothing to trade other than funds I am afraid. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ashcloud

Quote from: Yskonyn on May 04, 2013, 06:45:33 AM
I would be interested, but I have nothing to trade other than funds I am afraid. ;)

Are you a gamersgate member? PM me your username so we can connect in GG

Gusington

You may be pleasantly surprised with EiC, Yskonyn. If you get it please post an impression or two!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd