Israeli airstrikes in Syria

Started by steve58, May 03, 2013, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

Favorite line from the news so far this morning:
"Late yesterday, President Assad there in Syria called a cabinet meeting - don't know how many showed up."  -- Jim Miklaszewskl on Morning Joe.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 05, 2013, 05:19:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on May 05, 2013, 11:38:57 AM
Agree with LB...Syria is barely coping with the 10000s of Jihadis destroying them from the inside out. Why they would want to even try to take on Israel now it beyond me. Unless they just want to end it all under a barrage of Israeli missiles and shelling.

The problem with that is if they went down amid an Israeli attack the would be portrayed as martyrs and then used as a rallying cry for those around the world who want Israel gone.  It is really a lose lose for Israel but at least they are being proactive about it.

I'm with TCT...If Syria makes itself out as the victim of Israeli aggression, they can pretty easily rally the arab world against this common enemy.  That would be a win-win for Syria.  First, Syria could depend on its arab allies to fight a war against Israel for it.  Second, it would take the lens off of the internal situation with the Civil War and buy the Government forces more time to fight the rebel with chemical weapons and whatever othr underhanded methods they deem necessary.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

pawelj

Agree with LB...Syria is barely coping with the 10000s of Jihadis destroying them from the inside out. Why they would want to even try to take on Israel now it beyond me. Unless they just want to end it all under a barrage of Israeli missiles and shelling.

The problem with that is if they went down amid an Israeli attack the would be portrayed as martyrs and then used as a rallying cry for those around the world who want Israel gone.  It is really a lose lose for Israel but at least they are being proactive about it.
I am really tired of this "don't make them martyrs" argument rolled out again and again. How many people did any "martyrs" killed? Zero.
Those that wish ill to Israel and the West will invent reasons to hate whether we provide an fresh supply of "martyrs" or not. It's the ones in the pre-martyr state I worry about. Once they become "martyrs" they are no longer a real problem.
It the similar argument as the "Guantanamo is a recruiting agent" one. It's been repeated so many times people accept it without giving a second though.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

I hate when you do this pawelj but I agree. Stop making sense! Handling Muslms who want to be martyrs with kit gloves gets old. They will hate no matter what.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: pawelj on May 10, 2013, 07:23:05 AM

I am really tired of this "don't make them martyrs" argument rolled out again and again. How many people did any "martyrs" killed? Zero.
Those that wish ill to Israel and the West will invent reasons to hate whether we provide an fresh supply of "martyrs" or not. It's the ones in the pre-martyr state I worry about. Once they become "martyrs" they are no longer a real problem.
It the similar argument as the "Guantanamo is a recruiting agent" one. It's been repeated so many times people accept it without giving a second though.

Martyrs inspire and Guantanamo can be used as a recruiting tool, however, I agree that neither is a valid argument for stopping the execution of either endeavor.  They will never have a shortage of 'reasons' to hate the west/Israel so to that point I agree but you will notice that I did give credit to Israel for actually doing something in a situation they can't "win" taking either option.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 12, 2013, 08:18:15 PM
Quote from: pawelj on May 10, 2013, 07:23:05 AM

Martyrs inspire and Guantanamo can be used as a recruiting tool, however, I agree that neither is a valid argument for stopping the execution of either endeavor.  They will never have a shortage of 'reasons' to hate the west/Israel so to that point I agree but you will notice that I did give credit to Israel for actually doing something in a situation they can't "win" taking either option.

This type of behavior hands the initiative to the bad guys.

Instead of being afraid of what might set them over the edge (further) next, they should be worried about what might cause us to go headhunting them.

This situation is not going to end well for one side or the other. Either we will no longer enjoy the limited freedoms we have left or they will begin to respect the rights of other people to live in ways contrary to their beliefs.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

pawelj

Quote from: TheCommandTent on May 12, 2013, 08:18:15 PM

This brings on another question: how effective is this "inspiration" and "recruiting"? People who are convinced by these arguments, and we do not know how many would be, are not otherwise reasonable people who would be our supporters had it not be for these events. Which is why I think they are entirely spurious arguments designed to weaken our resolve.
"Britain and France had to choose between war and dishonour. They chose dishonour. They will have war." - Winston Churchill