Distant Worlds: Shadows (Released)

Started by PanzersEast, May 23, 2013, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Darkspire on June 01, 2013, 08:23:04 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 01, 2013, 07:44:16 AM
That came off a little "short" - and I apologise.

But I have said all this in my posts which are in the last couple of pages of this thread and the whole reason I was a bit pissed off about an AI faction starting so close was exactly because of the size of the galaxy and the number of AI factions.

Not a problem, I know only too well what it is like when you are trying to find out why something is going wrong and can not find the solution. I misread, I thought you meant that those three empires were close to you at startup and the others were more where you wanted them, I just tried an 8x8 400 with three empires, irregular map with me at the center and three AI ended up at the edges. Maybe there starting position also has something to do with the map shape as well? Although I sometimes play on other map shapes I prefer the irregular map.

Darkspire
I'm pretty sure I choose my position as random...so maybe that's the problem?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on June 01, 2013, 10:41:45 PM
Well I spoke too soon. Started a game with all 7 races on a 10x10 with 700 stars on random distance. At least 2 are on my doorstep. Just makes war inevitable
Sorry Mikeck - but that deserves a wee lol  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: WYBaugh on June 01, 2013, 09:41:23 PM
JD, someone started a similar thread concerning your complaint on Matrix:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3338163

May be good to keep an eye on to see what Matrix has to say.
Thanks
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

I've just went to start a new game and went through all the options again...and I have to apologise

It seems letting the game generate the AI factions (which is definitely what I did) means you cannot specify proximity.

It seems my short term memory problem got the better of me and let me think I had specified the proximity

So I apologise.

Jarhead
It may have been a molehill to you, but it was my mountain. As it turns out it wasn't even that - but a stupid error on my part, likely partially caused by my lack of understanding of the mechanics and my frustrations experienced through that.

If you all don't mind, I'm off to have a HUGE chunk of humble pie - om nom nom.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Martok

Hey, I'm just glad you were able to to figure out what the issue was.  :) 


More importantly JD, I truly hope you're able to find some enjoyment out of Distant Worlds.  Of course it goes without saying the game's not for everyone, but I'd be genuinely sad if it turned out you were one of them.  There really is a great experience to be had with this game, especially if one comes at it from the right approach/perspective.  I know there has to be a way to put it in terms you would understand/appreciate so that you might "get it", but I'm frustrated that I don't know what that is.  :(  Argh. 




Quote from: Darkspire on June 01, 2013, 11:18:57 PM
Quote from: Martok on June 01, 2013, 07:55:27 PM
BTW, welcome to Grogheads, Darkspire.  :)

Thank you  :) Do I call you general? Can not believe I did not find this place before now.
Heh, you can call me "Dick-face" for all I care.  ;)  Either way, though, I'm glad you found us! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 02, 2013, 03:06:46 AM
I've just went to start a new game and went through all the options again...and I have to apologise

It seems letting the game generate the AI factions (which is definitely what I did) means you cannot specify proximity.

It seems my short term memory problem got the better of me and let me think I had specified the proximity

So I apologise.

Jarhead
It may have been a molehill to you, but it was my mountain. As it turns out it wasn't even that - but a stupid error on my part, likely partially caused by my lack of understanding of the mechanics and my frustrations experienced through that.

If you all don't mind, I'm off to have a HUGE chunk of humble pie - om nom nom.

No Ned for pie or apologies. Just play! Hopefully, you'll get used to the mechanics and start really enjoying the game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


JudgeDredd

Well, I started a Pre-Warp game and I have to say - the pace is MUCH more to my liking.

I've always thought (from my own pov) that Distant Worlds strength is, for me, also it's weakness...it's configurability. I always start a game and everything kicks off. Ships are flying off in all directions, messages are appearing about potential colonies, new races, discoveries, requests for building ships and bases all fire at you...the user is bombarded with a lot of info...and as 4X isn't really my normal cup of tea - the initial bombardment of info has always put me off continuing.

But pre-warp is so much easier. I'm still a bit flummoxed with things - but the information overload is not there.

Much better  :D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Tuna

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 02, 2013, 03:06:46 AM
I've just went to start a new game and went through all the options again...and I have to apologise

It seems letting the game generate the AI factions (which is definitely what I did) means you cannot specify proximity.

It seems my short term memory problem got the better of me and let me think I had specified the proximity

So I apologise.

Jarhead
It may have been a molehill to you, but it was my mountain. As it turns out it wasn't even that - but a stupid error on my part, likely partially caused by my lack of understanding of the mechanics and my frustrations experienced through that.

If you all don't mind, I'm off to have a HUGE chunk of humble pie - om nom nom.

Hmmm.. I'll have to look at how I started, because for my 'first' game.. I had a big ugly AI neighbor in my neighborhood.. played for a lil while, then he declared war on me and that was that.. Will try and start again, paying attention to the settings you mentioned Judge.

Darkspire

Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2013, 08:07:58 AM

Hmmm.. I'll have to look at how I started, because for my 'first' game.. I had a big ugly AI neighbor in my neighborhood.. played for a lil while, then he declared war on me and that was that.. Will try and start again, paying attention to the settings you mentioned Judge.


First setup screens.
normal empire in classic age.
10x10 700 on an irregular map
set pirate proximity to distant
leave everything else as it is

Second screen
set the independents to scattered (this gives the pirates 'less to feed on' so they wont grow to much) and the colony prevalence to abundant
leave the influence range (should be 100%) and the range limits as they are

Third screen
Try the Ackdarian race

Fourth screen

Set your location to center
home system to excellent
corruption to low
Government to Monarchy
Any other settings ignore for now

Fifth screen

This setup will give you four empires, they start on the same level with the same tech but there home system is not as good.



Sixth screen

Turn off all the enable options (wait till you have got a few games under your belt the ROTS storyline in particular can be quite hard)
select territory 100%
victory threshold 100%
make sure everything except territory has the check boxes off

Start the game!

This will give you a pretty good start and let you get used to how things work, give it a few games and you have more of an idea of what does what then you will understand more about how to set a game up.

Have fun  :)

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Tuna

Quote from: Darkspire on June 02, 2013, 09:50:53 AM
Quote from: Tuna on June 02, 2013, 08:07:58 AM

Hmmm.. I'll have to look at how I started, because for my 'first' game.. I had a big ugly AI neighbor in my neighborhood.. played for a lil while, then he declared war on me and that was that.. Will try and start again, paying attention to the settings you mentioned Judge.


First setup screens.
normal empire in classic age.
10x10 700 on an irregular map
set pirate proximity to distant
leave everything else as it is

Second screen
set the independents to scattered (this gives the pirates 'less to feed on' so they wont grow to much) and the colony prevalence to abundant
leave the influence range (should be 100%) and the range limits as they are

Third screen
Try the Ackdarian race

Fourth screen

Set your location to center
home system to excellent
corruption to low
Government to Monarchy
Any other settings ignore for now

Fifth screen

This setup will give you four empires, they start on the same level with the same tech but there home system is not as good.



Sixth screen

Turn off all the enable options (wait till you have got a few games under your belt the ROTS storyline in particular can be quite hard)
select territory 100%
victory threshold 100%
make sure everything except territory has the check boxes off

Start the game!

This will give you a pretty good start and let you get used to how things work, give it a few games and you have more of an idea of what does what then you will understand more about how to set a game up.

Have fun  :)

Darkspire

Cool thanks.. Hopefully this will be like the wading pool for beginners  ::)

Darkspire

It will still be a challenge in Shadows for a player that has played Distant Worlds before  ;)

Like I said about the AI except in this case just increase the difficulty as you feel more comfortable with the game. The game setup I laid out is still on normal difficulty and the AI can come up with a few surprises when you do not expect them to with the new AI routines added in Shadows, that is one of the best things about DW, there is so much to do in it, what with story lines, game setup, difficulty etc. IMHO I found the MOO2 level up that I have been looking for for the last 18 years and then some :)

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


mikeck

#146
Judge...let me make two recommendations to reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed:

First: automate your exploration ships and construction ships unless there is a specific location you want to look at. If you have a about 12 exploration ships, you will have the surrounding areas mapped in no time. This way, you don't have the constant "this ship is done with its missio " stuff. The construction ships will just wait for the next assignment on auto. So and you see a planet worth mining, click on it and in the display window (bottom left) click on the "build gas/ mine her" icon. It will Automatically send it to the closest construction ship...so keep them on Auto.

This way, you are ignoring exploration and construction ships

2. DON'T WORRY ABOUT SHIPS FLYING AROUND. I know it can fluster you to see a bunch of ships flying around for no reason but here's the deal: those are private ships owned by private companies. Each one is flying to a mine to pick up a resource flying to a construction ship/shipyard to drop off a resource. Ignore them, when they are flying around, it's a good thing.

The beauty of DW is this private sector. Every constructor or shipyard that is building something (building, ship, mine, etc) requires minerals like silicon, lead, gold, etc. the constructor ships and shipyards actually carry supplies of this stuff on board. The ships will load up on different supplies depending on what it is building. If it runs out, construction stops while a private freighter is dispatched to carry that mineral to it from a mine. The game actually keeps track of what each freighter is carrying, what each shipyard is using and how much supply the shipyards have.

So in effect, you have a REAL private trading sector that is not abstracted,...every mineral needed must be mined and transported by a ship to the shipyard building it. The more items traded by Judge Dread priva-co... The more money it makes.  This is wht makes warfare so fun...targeting his mines and trade ships really matters.

So, short version is : automate explorers and construction ships and then ignore all ten ships flying around...they aren't yours
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tuna

Quote from: Darkspire on June 02, 2013, 10:48:01 AM
It will still be a challenge in Shadows for a player that has played Distant Worlds before  ;)

Like I said about the AI except in this case just increase the difficulty as you feel more comfortable with the game. The game setup I laid out is still on normal difficulty and the AI can come up with a few surprises when you do not expect them to with the new AI routines added in Shadows, that is one of the best things about DW, there is so much to do in it, what with story lines, game setup, difficulty etc. IMHO I found the MOO2 level up that I have been looking for for the last 18 years and then some :)

Darkspire

I actually don't have Shadows.. just bought the base game and first to expansions.. figured 50 bucks was enough for something I wasn't too sure I was going to like.. Even struggled with doing that.. lol.. wanted to just by the base.. but hear great things about adding expansions and figured if I didn't do it now, I'd lose out on saving 10 bucks..

Darkspire

The sale for Shadows does not end till July, you can buy it at the discounted rate even without buying all the others I think. Have a look on the Matrix site, I must admit the new features in Shadows really turned the game on its head and a lot of work has gone into balancing, AI and economic features and what with the three new game starts as well is well worth the investment, I was really surprised at the content and what has been done to the overall game, I have not really stopped playing Distant worlds for the last 2+ years, there is no other game than X2 that has scored that high on my games mark and ever kept my interest for so long and I have been gaming since the late 70's (yes I am a fossil) on just about every computer and console you can think of  :)

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


Tuna

Quote from: Darkspire on June 02, 2013, 11:28:33 AM
The sale for Shadows does not end till July, you can buy it at the discounted rate even without buying all the others I think. Have a look on the Matrix site, I must admit the new features in Shadows really turned the game on its head and a lot of work has gone into balancing, AI and economic features and what with the three new game starts as well is well worth the investment, I was really surprised at the content and what has been done to the overall game, I have not really stopped playing Distant worlds for the last 2+ years, there is no other game than X2 that has scored that high on my games mark and ever kept my interest for so long and I have been gaming since the late 70's (yes I am a fossil) on just about every computer and console you can think of  :)

Darkspire

Thanks for the info on the sale, if I 'click' with this game, then I will probably grab Shadows as well..