Main Menu

Flight Sims

Started by MIGMaster, March 08, 2012, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

OK.  I might be a horrible pilot.  It's possible, but I have yet to pass the sharp turn tutorial trial and the only flying object I was able to put rounds into was a blimp.  I crashed shortly afterward.

Gusington

Are you enjoying yourself?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

Absolutely having a blast.  Of course all my piloting error is due to a horrible joystick controller!  I'm just playing the demo version, but there is clearly a ton of free game here for me.  I've go one more stop to make in town today to try and find a good joystick and thruster controller combo.  Otherwise I'll be shopping on Amazon and playing with my current joystick.

The biggest issue I have is that there are so many hotkeyed controls that I'm not sure which do what exactly.  I mean there is a camera control, which does seemingly the exact same thing as the head control. 

And the Spatz is does not seem to have the manuveurablity of the German craft.  Well that or the AI on novice level are so much better pilots than I am.

Gusington

If you're having fun, well...that's all that counts man.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

What will really count is me actually hitting another plane with hot lead sending it into a flaming death roll.  If I fail in this task, I may need to just play MS Flight were shooting things is not a requirement. 

Gusington

But then you would be a big girl.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

I very strongly prefer the German birds to all of the other countries' birds.  I get them all confused, but I think the late model Albatross is a sweet plane (Alb DVII or something like that).

Dude, RoF is a very hard game as far as WW1 flight sims go.  You really do need a decent stick/throttle/rudder combo. 

Also, in case it got lost in the chatter, you should REALLY STRONGLY look into picking up a TrackIR.  Like I said, I will NOT play flight sims without it anymore- it is that amazing.

If you can't/don't want to pick up a TrackIR, there is a free alternative called FreeTrack that uses your computer's webcam.  I'm sure google will turn that up for you.  If you watched that RoF multiplayer clip I posted, that is 100% in TrackIR.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

MIGMaster

Thanks for the heads-up on Freetrack - I must give it a go !

Bison

I picked up a Saitek X52 at the local mom and pop shop this afternoon.  It was a little more than I intended to spend, but I figured the investiment will pay off in flight fun and Mechwarrior Online. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on April 17, 2012, 06:15:27 PM
I picked up a Saitek X52 at the local mom and pop shop this afternoon.  It was a little more than I intended to spend, but I figured the investiment will pay off in flight fun and Mechwarrior Online.

Imagine how much more control you'll have as you're shot down!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Major difference with the HOTUS setup.  It's not helping my piloting skills, yet.  I am slowly learning that I need to make my movements more subtle and slow with the joystick.  I'm finding that I want to over correct the planes movements. 

What I really need to do is read the manual for the controllers and the game to better tweek the setup.

MIGMaster

QuoteWhat I really need to do is read the manual for the controllers and the game to better tweek the setup.

Don't give in - real men never look at instructions or ask for directions  ;)

Nefaro

On a flight sim side note:  I've been extremely impressed with Black Shark 2.  Feels like a big leap from the original.  8)

Bison

I've played the learning to fly campaign about 2 dozen times now.  I'm an ace at flying straight and the occassional altitude change, but lord help me if I need to make a hard banking turn...death.  Fast, spinning roll of death into the fields of France.