If not Friday, then when?!

Started by MetalDog, May 31, 2013, 05:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

lmao - you know me so well

now with fully configured microphone

mikeck

You and Huw should be doing an Endless Space AAR of your game!
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tuna

First I'm gonna play Mow the Lawn as soon as I sign off work (should be fun in this lil Heat Wave we're having)

Probably do some WoT
Give Distant Worlds a try (just purchased this week, so this will be my maiden voyage)
Also try and get back into CMBN, was playing it before, but after a few crashes to desktop, I kind of stopped for awhile..

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mikeck on May 31, 2013, 02:51:40 PM
You and Huw should be doing an Endless Space AAR of your game!

Considering his personal descriptions of Geek, maybe we don't want them expressing any thoughts about one another... :o

As for me, Sunday will be a day of helping friends move a hot tub, followed closely by drinking a lot of beer. Tonight and tomorrow will be all about Pinball FX2 and trying out Expeditions Conquistador.

panzerde

Saturday will be mostly consumed with Graduation Party for 2nd Child accompanied by Consoling the Wife Because Her Baby is All Grown Up.  When not doing that I'll be playing, for the second time this year Having both in-laws and my Mother Visiting at the Same Time.  Only this time I have the Assorted Other Visiting Relatives DLC.  On Sunday we'll cap the whole thing off with Actual Graduation in an Overcrowded and Noisy Public Venue

Assuming I can sneak away to the Gaming Cave for a bit, I'll try and squeeze in:

Alea Jacta Est
Roman Civil Wars
Distant Worlds: Shadows

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Gusington

^I had no idea you were that...mature.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

panzerde

Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2013, 08:14:19 PM
^I had no idea you were that...mature.

While not quite to the point of moving to Florida, wearing my pants up to my chest and complaining about the government full-time, I am old enough to have one offspring a Junior in college and the other finishing high school.  For context, I'm ancient enough to remember watching the B-52's of the SAC 17th Bomb Wing fly over the house on their way to Vietnam.

My first two wargames were AH's Tactics II and Alexander (still in a trunk downstairs, with all the counters).

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Sir Slash

In Florida we wear shorts pulled-up to our chests. Only Yankees wear pants here, except in winter when it's below 40 degrees, then they wear shorts and we wear pants. It's kind of a weather-based system. But everybody drives real slow and in always in the passing lane. ;)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Toonces

I played the crap out of Rising Storm tonight.  Played on the Japanese side and actually got quite a few kills as an assault guy. 

I've been hankering for a turn-based, hex-based, squad level wargame for a while.  I finally decided to pony up the cash and I bought Squad Battles: Dien Bien Phu tonight.  Downloading right now.  I'm not sure why I picked Dien Bien Phu.  I've been reading a few books on it, although I've yet to finish one.  I think I read a review (by Longblade?) a while ago when it was released that said it was quite good.  At any rate, DBP is the one I picked and so future Squad Battles purchases will live or die based on how much this game grabs me. 

Finally I have a true hex wargame at the tactical level.  I sure hope it's what I wanted...it wasn't cheap!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bob48

^I have a long time interest in French Indo China, and Dien Bien Phu in particular. Been looking for a decent board game on the subject, but they are few and far between. maybe one day GMT will get enough orders to publish Storm over DBP.

I guess that 'Hell in a Very Small Place' is the definitive book on the subject, but 'The Last Vally' by Martin Windrow is pretty good as well.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

joined the Iron Front server over at Sim HQ with Tuna and Panzer - great fun - last mission was a blast (literally) - as soon as i figure out how to pull the screens from steam i will

Huw the Poo

Quote from: bob48 on June 01, 2013, 05:35:44 PM
^I have a long time interest in French Indo China, and Dien Bien Phu in particular. Been looking for a decent board game on the subject, but they are few and far between. maybe one day GMT will get enough orders to publish Storm over DBP.

I guess that 'Hell in a Very Small Place' is the definitive book on the subject, but 'The Last Vally' by Martin Windrow is pretty good as well.

I have no idea what you just said but I agree with every word!

undercovergeek

Advancing towards the hidden fuel dump with the team:-

Entering the compound:-

After the charges are laid, we retire to a safe distance................ well all of us except tigerwulf and meatshield!!!

good gaming, great guys - will deffo be returning

thanks SDR

Tuna

Quote from: undercovergeek on June 01, 2013, 06:06:53 PM
joined the Iron Front server over at Sim HQ with Tuna and Panzer - great fun - last mission was a blast (literally) - as soon as i figure out how to pull the screens from steam i will

Fun games.. great to see more Grogs playing!

Dolan50

There used to be a very good boardgame about the battle of Dien Bien Phu called "Citadel" if I recall correctly.I played this a few times at a friends house about 20 years ago.I think the units were company size.
Can't remember who published it though but I'm sure there may be some kind of a description of the game on Boardgame Geek.

Haven't played a boardgame in quite awhile but I remember that one was fun.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".