Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Quote from: Labbug on September 19, 2013, 08:36:59 AM
Quote from: Bison on September 19, 2013, 08:02:02 AM
Quote from: Labbug on September 18, 2013, 11:25:18 PM
As Rome I have had a Civil War declared.  Has anyone had this happen to them and is there a way to prevent this from happening?

You will go into a civil war once your % of control of the Senate reaches a certain break point.  I have not had a civil war, but from what I've read on other forums it happens around the 70% threshold.  I'm not sure if it is ultimately preventable, but you can delay it by doing things to maintain a lower level of Senate influence.

Thanks, I have not been watching my Senate influence.  I will have to find where you do that.

I'm playing as the Suebi and can see periodic intrigues from politics. I think it has to do with influence or authority - after it reaches a certain level your generals start getting some kind of political game going. Once in a while an even will pop up asking me if someone can be adopted or married. So far it hasn't had any major effect on my game. However, I have noticed that when I select a new general it often has a -13 Tribal Chiefs rating (or some other value). Apparently by selecting some generals I affect the political balance. I've spent no time looking into this, but I think that's what's going on and probably plays a bigger role if you're playing as Romans.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Sir Slash

Hope it doesn't turn into a "Roman Realm Divide" type event.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Yeah I've noticed that as Rome with the influence of my generals too. Haven't checked on the Senate itself. Again a print manual would be perfect to get more info.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
Yeah I've noticed that as Rome with the influence of my generals too. Haven't checked on the Senate itself. Again a print manual would be perfect to get more info.

I'm tempted to buy a damn strategy guide because this game is so obtuse. I know they spent some decent time and money creating their encyclopedia, but I find it almost worthless.

Nefaro

My experience with inner-faction power struggles has pretty much been the other factions constantly attempting to assassinate my generals.  Doesn't matter how much influence I have.. they eventually started spamming me with Assassinate in all my campaigns. 

It usually only ended in my generals being wounded for a few turns, but it was still enough (along with their rapid deaths by natural causes) to force me to replace my army generals on a regular basis, and create new ones. 

In it's current iteration, it's just another exceedingly annoying way to F with my generals all the time and hasn't really added anything interesting to the gameplay at all.  I think they were trying to add some Crusader Kings 2 style intrigue into the system, which is commendable.  However it's just a stinky poostick in the eye, in it's current form.

Gusington

Yeah I have also had a number of assassination attempts on my generals. Most fail. I noticed too that when I succeed in using a champion for assassination, I typically get an "attempt failed" message when in fact it was successful.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

High Ambition levels lead to civil war.

I just saw it on a hint as the game was loading. High ambition in generals makes them useful, but if they get too high an ambition score they may start a civil war.

mikeck

If you can start over, I recommend the 2/4 turn mod. I use the four year version and Italy's my generals last...well...4x longer! Doesn't seem to disturb anything else. Buildings and tech are built per turn but general age per year, not per turn
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

LongBlade

Quote from: mikeck on September 19, 2013, 03:10:23 PM
If you can start over, I recommend the 2/4 turn mod. I use the four year version and Italy's my generals last...well...4x longer! Doesn't seem to disturb anything else. Buildings and tech are built per turn but general age per year, not per turn

I'm having fun with my current campaign. Got lucky and offered peace just when I was about to get flanked and lose a city - they took it. Then I checked my strategic map just in time to see public order was falling apart in my core provinces. Wrecked some buildings that were producing squalor, started building shrines to improve order, and started researching tech to reduce corruption.

Man, I got so lucky.

Currently I own most of northern Europe. This is circa 150 BC.

Gusington

Not bad. In my game as Rome I am right at your soutern doorstep after yesterday's conquests. Cisalpina is my bitch now.

Is there a Rome II guidebook available?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

ive done it!!!!!

through political intrigue, back office manouevering, bribing, and lies................

i have secured all Saturday and Sunday to play this bloody game!!

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2013, 05:20:46 PM
Not bad.

Remember, I am playing on Don't Hurt Me mode.

QuoteIs there a Rome II guidebook available?

If there is I can't find it on Amazon.

Gusington

Given how cryptic the game can be Don't Hurt Me mode can still test your brain.

Seems like a lost opportunity to have a game this complex without a proper manual AND no guidebook for sale...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LongBlade

Quote from: Gusington on September 19, 2013, 05:52:14 PM
Seems like a lost opportunity to have a game this complex without a proper manual AND no guidebook for sale...

No kidding.

I guess we'll try to fill the void here. As folks figure stuff out we can post it as we go.

Bison

This is my motto when playing Rome 2.