Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Ok, so any opinions on the Beta 4 patch?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 04, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
...I think it was the same in Shogun 2 - and I didn't like it there. It was really difficult to keep public order under control and get enough money for armies and infrastructure.

You can still exclude troublesome cities from the tax network by unchecking the tax box in the left hand side info screen.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 04, 2013, 06:08:25 PM
mmm...so they made taxes tribe wide as opposed to region wide? What's the consensus on this? I haven't played enough of this to get a hold of whether it's a positive or not, but my initial reaction is "eugh"...I mean - not all regions are the same.

Interested in anyone's thoughts who have played a lot.

I think it was the same in Shogun 2 - and I didn't like it there. It was really difficult to keep public order under control and get enough money for armies and infrastructure.

It's faction-wide in Rome2, as it was in the previous title.  However, there's a checkbox to turn taxation off for specific provinces and it can be quite handy for those times when you've conquered more than one region in them and the unrest penalty is high for a time.

Jarhead0331

I may have just fought my most epic Total War battle...ever.  The VIII Legion of Rome (Alpinia), one of Rome's smaller legions with just 1500 legionaries and approximately 1000 auxiliary was cornered and assaulted by a combined Lugiian army under the command of four warlords numbering over 7000 warriors total.  The brave Romans fought to the death almost to the man, with only 200 surviving to make it into captivity. The Legion's general bravely gave his life in battle, as well.  For the loss of 2500, the VIII Legion butchered over 4000 Germanic barbarians over a period of more than 40  minutes (which is a veritable slug fest in game terms).

Its my first and only Legion to be destroyed in battle.  I plan on raising a new Legion immediately and resurrecting the proud VIIIth.  Hail Rome! 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Staggerwing

Nice '5th Element' avatar, JH!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Nice battle, Jarhead!  Epic indeed.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

Awesome. I have never lost an entire legion; although I have come close several times.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Tuna

This is when the game is fun.. when you face NME's 2 to 3 times larger than you!

I don't understand all the slamming on it.. Ok I do, it's not perfect... But you know what? I'm having a blast, and when it comes down to it, that's all that matters with any game!  8)

mikeck

Like I said before. People see what they want. Someone like me who wants to like it will watch a battle and see an enemy that tried to flank and fails. Someone who wants to see a bad AI to prove their opinions, will see an army that splits for no reason and attacks piecemeal. I think that's a lot of it. It has almost become in vogue to be a reviewer and slam TW games to play to the crowd. This game had- and still has issues- but it is a good game and didn't deserve to be completely ripped by many on the other forums

W8taminute

7 minutes 15 seconds now 'till Beta 4 is installed.  Then I go unleash hell.

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

W8taminute

Hell was unleashed on me.  Played for 3 turns on my current campaign before the system locked up on me during the AI's turn.  Fortunately I was able to replay using the autosave and managed to make it through the turn.  Don't know what happened but up until now I have never had a game freeze before.  Maybe something to do with Beta 4?

Then I looked at my graphics performance.  I have 'use system memory' turned on and noticed a slight decrease in frame rate and general lag.  Switched my 'sky' and 'particle effects' from Ultra to Very High and noticed everything running smooth again.  Maybe I'll try unchecking 'use system memory' and cranking up the sky and particles again and see what happens. 

LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2013, 11:39:13 AM
I may have just fought my most epic Total War battle...ever.  The VIII Legion of Rome (Alpinia), one of Rome's smaller legions with just 1500 legionaries and approximately 1000 auxiliary was cornered and assaulted by a combined Lugiian army under the command of four warlords numbering over 7000 warriors total.  The brave Romans fought to the death almost to the man, with only 200 surviving to make it into captivity. The Legion's general bravely gave his life in battle, as well.  For the loss of 2500, the VIII Legion butchered over 4000 Germanic barbarians over a period of more than 40  minutes (which is a veritable slug fest in game terms).

Its my first and only Legion to be destroyed in battle.  I plan on raising a new Legion immediately and resurrecting the proud VIIIth.  Hail Rome!

Cool. Did you save the replay?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Bison

Quote from: LongBlade on October 07, 2013, 10:09:02 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 05, 2013, 11:39:13 AM

Cool. Did you save the replay?

Awesome recap JH.

mikeck

I had a freeze with beta 4 as well

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on October 07, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
I had a freeze with beta 4 as well

No Freezes here.  I have a i7 and 1.5 gig of graphics and a lot of ram and I've put things at lower graphics settings as usual.