Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Don't know. I think you need to play a more powerful nation? I played Rome and the opening fight with the Etrusceans is a bitch. Takes a while but I usually win. I make it a point to allh with as any Greek states as I can to protect my eastern flank.

I also played Sparta for a bit and didn't have too much trouble. Maybe you are playing the equivalent of a " 1 province minor" in EU3. I never play barbarians so I can't say. Are you using a lot if mercenaries? I find them to be helpful when I need a lot of troops. Also, use your agenct to assassinate the enemy general if he's any good.

Last guess...quit trying to play with a barbarian tribe that got pwned by Rome... Try Rome, Athens, Sparta, Egypt, Pontus, Selucid, etc
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2014, 08:48:26 PM
^There were notes for the ancient colors mod that read it didn't work with Patch 9...are you currently using that mod?

More tragically, I started another new campaign as the Iceni about two hours ago and AGAIN was wiped out within 25 turns! WTF is going on?? All of Britain united against me...this loss was even harsher than the last. The initial game is still rated at 'Easy' while the main campaign is rated as 'normal.' I am not sure what is going on but it's not fun. Or funny. OK maybe a little funny.

Is anyone else getting pummeled into a paste like this?

Is this happening because everyone quickly starts to hate you diplomatically?  Like the AI diplo behavior in Empire Total War that sucked so bad?  I hope not.. that always seemed to be in passable shape as far as the AI goes, even at release.   Unless you were Epirus - they'd get ganged from the start.  Did they fix that up since then?  I recall AI Epirus died every game in the first 10 or so turns.  ???

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on January 26, 2014, 10:43:39 PM
Don't know. I think you need to play a more powerful nation? I played Rome and the opening fight with the Etrusceans is a bitch. Takes a while but I usually win. I make it a point to allh with as any Greek states as I can to protect my eastern flank.

I also played Sparta for a bit and didn't have too much trouble. Maybe you are playing the equivalent of a " 1 province minor" in EU3. I never play barbarians so I can't say. Are you using a lot if mercenaries? I find them to be helpful when I need a lot of troops. Also, use your agenct to assassinate the enemy general if he's any good.

Last guess...quit trying to play with a barbarian tribe that got pwned by Rome... Try Rome, Athens, Sparta, Egypt, Pontus, Selucid, etc

Harder but not impossible as carthage

Were all going to have to play as the iceni now aren't we?!

Gusington

Hmm I have been using agents, and mercs too. Diplomatically I have some success but then just a few turns later all diplomacy goes out the window and I am surrounded, then gutted. This really aggressive behavior did not start until Patch 9...freaky.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Are you playing on easy?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

So yeah, the 1.9 beta patch doesn't work for me; the game crashes every time I load it up.  :(  I've reverted back to 8.1 for the time being. 

Quote from: Gusington on January 26, 2014, 08:48:26 PM
More tragically, I started another new campaign as the Iceni about two hours ago and AGAIN was wiped out within 25 turns! WTF is going on?? All of Britain united against me...this loss was even harsher than the last. The initial game is still rated at 'Easy' while the main campaign is rated as 'normal.' I am not sure what is going on but it's not fun. Or funny. OK maybe a little funny.

Is anyone else getting pummeled into a paste like this?

I feel so alone!
Ouch, Gus.  That's rough. 

Not sure what to tell you.  I've not played as any of the barbarian factions yet, so I'm woefully unqualified to dispense advice in your particular situation.  And since the beta version of patch 9 doesn't work for me, I can't comment on whether or not diplomacy has been borked at all. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

mikeck

Quote from: Gusington on January 27, 2014, 08:29:33 AM
Hmm I have been using agents, and mercs too. Diplomatically I have some success but then just a few turns later all diplomacy goes out the window and I am surrounded, then gutted. This really aggressive behavior did not start until Patch 9...freaky.

Have you uninstalled all of your mods and then verified the cache? Haven't heard of many crashes?

Yskonyn

Me neither; if it crashes on startup, Martok, I would try to do a clean reinstall if the verifying cache integrity option in STeam doesn't work. Also, be sure to disable any mods in the launcher.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

I'm playing on normal. As a last gasp I will try setting the difficulty to easy to see what that does.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

Try easy...if all else fails...play a different faction

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on January 27, 2014, 04:52:22 PM
Try easy...if all else fails...play a different faction

had a quick hour or two tonight against syracruse and had a great fight - im noticing a clever AI but not a merciless one like Gus'

mikeck

I think it depends on who you fight. Some nations are surrounded by natural land enemies (iceni). I find the AI to be just as good as shogun and certainly competent.

Gusington

^Yup that is my thinking. Going to try 'Easy' even though it makes me feel like a girl. Patch 9 had to do something to the AI because I was able to take all of Great Britain as the Iceni in my DEI campaign. The only tribe that gave me trouble (and a lot of it) were the Caledones, and I was able to beat them. Let's see...

Well switched to 'Easy' and it was. Took two settlements and have one left to go to unite Britannia. Still was a hard struggle against the smaller tribes like the Demetes and the Brigantes, much harder than it was in DEI last week. At least now I stabilized my borders and cities and can turtle for a little bit. It feels like the difficulty slider has been mis-labeled, know what I mean?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on January 27, 2014, 08:18:41 PM
It feels like the difficulty slider has been mis-labeled, know what I mean?

yeah, thats what they did Gus, they labelled the sliders wrong  :P  :P

Gusington

It wasn't this difficult...ever! Oh well at least it's fun now. Just don't tell anyone I had to move the slider to 'Easy.'

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd