Main Menu

Rome II

Started by JudgeDredd, June 10, 2013, 04:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 10, 2014, 02:07:33 PM
if its just combat you want fixing, god knows how many pages back there is a good mod - a guy took out some of the combat animations that stops people blobbing or wondering off alone into a mob of enemy

Sounds tempting, but I would warn against anything that removes or modifies the unit animations. 

I recall previous versions of TW having their unit animations tied to their combat performance.  Attack rate, damage and/or other such things.  CA even had combat animation bug fixes listed in at least one update, because they weren't properly completing and therefore the proper damage was not being done.  Two-handed swordsmen in M2TW is was one instance of this.

If he managed to eliminate them equally across units, then perhaps he just lowered how much damage they were doing over time.  But I'd be wary about such fixes imbalancing the combat effictiveness of certain unit types compared to others.   For all we know, such a mod could make axe-wielding units' damage drop by a higher percentage than spears, for example, because their attack animations are different.

mikeck

I know the mod he's talking about but I don't believe it is necessary anymore because CA has fixed the problem. The mod work actually very well it kept them from teaming up one person against another person.  So you're one Roman would chase that one barbarian all through the formation trying to kill him... that's how the formations were getting messed up... It didn't really do anything to the animations themselves it just stopped your guy from following the other guy

Even vanilla now my Roman cohort seem to maintain a pretty tight formation. Eventually it gets messed up but I seriously doubt an actual warfare that the line stayed perfectly straight.

This mod is my favorite and I think does the best job keeping a cohesive tight formation. It also adds several different types of formations like "wedge" and things like that to your infantry

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=223973502&searchtext=

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

I thought he said that some animations were removed in that other mod?  ??? 

Is that not the case after all?

undercovergeek

Quote from: Nefaro on March 11, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
I thought he said that some animations were removed in that other mod?  ??? 

Is that not the case after all?

im sure he said hed removed some animations - but the result is what Mikeck describes, it stopped the break up of your formations as individulas went wandering into the mob only to find themselves stuck and trying to work their way back - at no time was weapon damage/effectiveness discussed or complained about in the mods comments

mikeck

I'm done with the big overhaul mods. I'm about 60 turns into what is shaping up to be a great campaign. Then CA releases patch 10 beta and radious updates his mod for the newly released beta. Now I can't continue my campaign. Second time that has happened. Think I will stick with vanilla so I can finish a campaign. Arg
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

Quote from: mikeck on March 11, 2014, 06:07:23 PM
I'm done with the big overhaul mods. I'm about 60 turns into what is shaping up to be a great campaign. Then CA releases patch 10 beta and radious updates his mod for the newly released beta. Now I can't continue my campaign. Second time that has happened. Think I will stick with vanilla so I can finish a campaign. Arg

oh man youre kidding!

whats 10 got?

Gusington

Patch 10 is out???

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Patch 10 beta announcement

Performance improvements

General performance improvements:

Additional Support for AMD Crossfire multi-GPU configs.
    Further improvements to GPU performance and reduction in CPU-bottlenecks for all configs.
    Improved core Battle performance scenarios.
    Resolved CPU core-affinity threading issue.
    Implemented borderless window when running at desktop resolution in Windowed mode.
    There is no longer an upper limit on the graphics settings that a user can select in the frontend. Previously if the game determined that a user's machine was low-end then it would not allow them to select high graphics settings. This limitation is now gone. Note that selecting high graphics settings on low-end machines will negatively affect performance.
    Improved consistency of reflections on shiny textures.

'Unlimited Video Memory' option improvements:

Unlimited Video Memory is now selectable for all integrated GPUs running on 64-bit operating systems from Windows Vista onward. Integrated GPUs use system memory as video memory at all times, as they have no dedicated video memory of their own. This code change now allows our integrated GPU customers to use all of their system memory as video memory. When Unlimited Video Memory is enabled, discrete GPUs use system memory as an extension of their dedicated GPU video memory, when their dedicated video memory is not enough to run at their chosen graphics quality settings. Please be advised that in both cases, using system memory as GPU video memory can impact performance as it is generally not as fast as dedicated GPU video memory. Also, if system memory runs low (or out), the user's hard drive will be paged, resulting in reduced framerates.
    For users running on an integrated GPU in 64-bit Windows (Vista onwards), with Unlimited Video Memory available but not selected, we have increased the amount of video memory that the game sees from 800MB to 1024MB.
    Fixed an issue causing Unlimited Video Memory to be unavailable for users with certain discrete video cards.
    Fixed an issue that was causing Unlimited Video Memory to become disabled on some multi-GPU configurations.

Battle performance improvements:

Eliminated battle pathfinding performance spike which caused battles to stutter.
    Addressed a crash in siege battles which occurred on some maps after breaching walls with artillery.
    Addressed a crash in Egyptian Large City battle caused by the map data.
    Addressed a crash caused by squads within the same unit attempting to use different formations.
    Fixed a UI lock-up when opening the steam overlay during the introduction sequence at the start of an ambush battle (while defending).

Gameplay Improvements

Battle AI improvements:

Fixed an issue which could cause the attacking siege AI to stall when attempting to breach the walls with artillery.
    Improved coordination of AI defenders in city, port and town battles when they are outside the settlement. This improves the behaviour of disembarked naval units and reinforcement armies.
    Addressed an issue which caused disembarked naval AI defenders in siege battles to become inactive.
    Improved the battle AI's ability to predict the outcome of combat actions, allowing it to better commit its troops in combat.
    Battle AI in field battles is now encouraged to outflank earlier when necessary.

General battle improvements:

Improved ladder docking in Rome city map.
    Addressed collision gaps in fort walls caused by auxiliary buildings, which sometimes allowed units to pass through walls.
    Prevented siege ladders/towers being pushed into the wall of a settlement on the battlefield.
    Settlement gates no longer close on friendly units during battles.
    Smoothed uneven terrain under a dockable wall in Egyptian port battle map.
    Fixed wall in large Barbarian city map.
    Fixed floating buildings in some Roman City and Barbarian battle maps.

General Campaign improvements:

Improvements made to the campaign auto-resolver's modelling of melee-based infantry, which corrects a wide range of auto-resolver imbalances.
    In campaign mode, garrisoned Hastati will now upgrade correctly after researching the 'Cohort Organization' technology, which converts Hastati to Legionaries.
    Slave army leaders will no longer always look Hellenic in Campaign mode.
    Unit cards no longer appear outside of the merge window UI while merging units in campaign modes.
    Settlement labels in Campaign modes now consistently display the diplomatic relationship status that is currently held with the owning faction. Red = War, Blue = Allied With, Grey = neutral.
    Improvements made to the accuracy of the unit tooltip threat indicator in the battle UI.
    Cinematic Mode shortcut key now works consistently in different languages.

Usability Improvements

Addressed a number of minor audio issues.
    Battlefield death animations no longer with the victim in a kneeling pose.
    Category icon no longer incorrectly appears on elephant units once the unit is out of control.

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Giggity...I am hoping this can get rid of that annoying video memory prompt I get every so often.

How do I opt into the beta again on Steam? I always forget.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on March 11, 2014, 06:07:23 PM

This is why I've not even bothered modding mine.   Fargin Steam updates jacking things up.  :-[

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on March 11, 2014, 09:13:37 PM
Giggity...I am hoping this can get rid of that annoying video memory prompt I get every so often.
Same here.  I'm almost more excited about the performance improvements than I am the gameplay improvements (although naturally I look forward to those as well). 

Quote from: Gusington on March 11, 2014, 09:13:37 PM
How do I opt into the beta again on Steam? I always forget.
Well if you'd just read the post I linked to...  :P 

QuotePatch 10 is Build 10069.512334 - you can opt into it by selecting the Patch 10 Beta option in your Steam client (look under the betas tab).

1) In the Steam Games Library, right-click "Total War: ROME II" and select "Properties".
2) In the properties window, select the "BETAS" tab.
3) In the "Select the beta you would like to opt into:" drop-down box, select "patch10beta".

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Gusington

^Ah thanks. Positive I will use it now and then forget about it for the next patch :)

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Think I'm gonna wait for the public release on patch 10.  I'm reasonably satisfied with the game as it is currently, and see no need to constantly restart my campaign even more than I already do.  :P 

Quote from: Gusington on March 12, 2014, 05:38:54 AM
^Ah thanks. Positive I will use it now and then forget about it for the next patch :)
As will I, I'm sure.  ::) 

Gusington

If you don't have mods, do you have to restart with a new patch? I thought they were save game compatible most of the time.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I hear the Patch 10 changes include a more pure color of blue eyeshade for the Iceni. It's called "Gusington Blue".  ;D ;D ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.