Whatcha doing on Father's day?

Started by Windigo, June 14, 2013, 02:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

I"ll be driving.  Seriously - 8 hours.  Just dropped Bayonet Jr with my folks, and I'm driving home on Sunday while they take him to Europe for a few weeks.  Then Monday I get up before the ass-crack of dawn and drop Bayonette and Mrs B at the airport for their trip to see her parents in Hawaii.  Then I'm on my own for 3-1/2 weeks.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Sigma One

Quote from: ScottP on June 14, 2013, 04:29:33 PM
Usually around this time I visit my father's grave. Talk a bit, keep him updated on things, make sure his plot is neat and orderly.

My sympathies, Scott. May I inquire as to how long you have been keeping him in the loop in this particular way?
[/quote]

My father passed when I was 2 and a half, and generally we'd visit his grave at least once a year as I was growing up. When I was old enough to drive I'd head out by myself, the first time I got lost and by the time I got to the cemetery I was worn out (driving for an hour through busy roads at a 16-year-old was terrifying for the first time) so I sat down next to his plot and just talked. I don't have any memories of him, being young and all when he passed, so all I have is pictures. Despite this, talking to him in this way felt natural and therapeutic. I keep silent and communicate mentally if I'm there with family, but every so often I go out by myself.

It's been 27 years since he's passed, and I wonder how I would have turned out if he was still alive. Being primarily raised by my mother, I'm different from my brother and sister in my attitude and mannerisms (I'm a bit more mature). I'm exceptionally thankful for my close friends' fathers for keeping an eye out for me as I was growing up, they made sure I had positive role models and that I was doing things the right way.

My brother and I have started a family ritual to keep his spirit alive. My father served in in the Army in the 60's as a mechanic (which is where my brother gets his wrench skills) and at the time of his death my mother got an American flag. When my brother turned 21 she wrote him a note and presented my brother with the flag. When I turned 21, my brother did the same to me. Right now I have my father's flag framed with the notes from my brother and mother, and plan on doing the same to my nephew when he turns 21. It's still ways away but I'm looking forward to it.

I've babbled on quite a bit. Hope I didn't bore anyone. Happy Father's Day to all you guys!

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on June 14, 2013, 04:06:27 PM
My youngest lives with me and she wants to take me for dinner.  Her treat.  I think I'll let her :)

That sounds awesome - mines 5 and can microwave pancakes but that's it - apart from the advance in years ill succumb to I can't wait for stuff like this

Arctic Blast

Buddied up with my sister and brother in law who are local and made dinner for the folks. Went to their butcher to get some dry-aged steaks. I went with the T-bone...the goddamn thing was about 3 pounds.

Anyway, dad was happy, mom was happy, everyone was full and I'm a little drunk. Woot!

Bison

Scott I think your father is proud that you take the time to not only remember him, but speak to him. 

TheCommandTent

Happy Father's Day to all you Grogs who have offspring running around.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

Quote from: Bison on June 16, 2013, 12:51:49 AM
Scott I think your father is proud that you take the time to not only remember him, but speak to him.

+1
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bob48

Just been given a copy of 'Fall of the Samurai" by my youngest son - ta very much.

Now he wants to do some Shogun 2 MP so that he teach his old pop how to play.......

Yeah, right! (rolls sleeve's up).
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Good luck Bob.  FYI there are no frying pans to dodge so one of your personal strengths will not come into play I'm afraid.

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Bison

bob48

Don't confuse me Bison...its oriental innit?

'Clip those corners'

Bison

bob48

'Clip those corners'

Bison

Well at least you'll avoid carpet burns.