Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Martok, March 10, 2012, 12:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

The client is sunstable at times.

And I can't close the Launcher without forcing it to shut down in Task Manager.  :( 

I can already see that War Thunder is just more enjoyable, and that comment coming from someone terribly sick of WW2 overdose. 

I'm gonna power through the open beta issues in MWO for a bit, to give it a fair shot, but I think it desperately needs the galactic warfare campaign thing to bring it all together (after bug fixing of course).  It feels like it's short on features (maps, mechs, the campaign, etc) but that's normal with these new-fangled World Of Tanks clones I suppose.

Nefaro

#61
There's a new update today.

Does anyone know if they finally pushed it into Open Beta, and therefore the last wipe is being done? 

I can't get to their site or forums right now, so hoping that's what's going on.

EDIT:  Also - I dunno what they had their update do but it ran my hard drive at practically max speed for awhile.  Perhaps they did something stupid like name the install files & location "Beta" and had to reinstall them all to a regular one.  LOL.

Kushan

PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

republic

If anyone starts Clan Grogheads...I'd like to join.  :)  If they continue to roll out mech's I can see myself playing MWO for a long while.  I'd really like to see more objective types though.

Nefaro

I don't think MWO even has Clan/Merc Regiment/Whatever social UI in it yet.   Hell, it doesn't even have a 'garage' chat function, does it??  :-\

My nick is 'Nefaro', so add me while we're waiting for some future association features.


While Open Beta is now in full swing, and there will be no more wipes last I heard, the game still needs more "stuff" added to it.  :)

MetalDog

I'm with Republic.  I'd join a Grogz Clan.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Nefaro

Am I just not delving deep enough for my mechwarrior mindset?

I keep trying to play MWO for long periods of time, but end up turning it off after a handful of matches.   :-[   Perhaps it's the Trial Mech grind, or the severe lack of map variety, but I've found it difficult to stick with it for long. 

I'll just chalk it up to the lack of scenery and some of the terrible PUGs.  :P

republic

I had a great match tonight.  My team stuck together and I had one great combo.  I had a Dragon targeted in the distance while I tried to get a Jenner off a friend.  Anyhow as i spun I got a lock for my lrms and launged on the dragon.  Right as they were falling i got a large laser solid on the Jenner.  They both popped at once you :)

I think if I find a good group I could sink all of what little gaming time I have into it.

Nefaro

That's part of the problem.  My PUGs sometimes start off okay with most sticking together while a couple lights go scout.  But when the fit hits the shan, my nearby teammates seem to turn tail and run for cover ASAP.  ..and with the usual AFK'ing f-heads.  They really need to lay off the high repair costs losing players' C-bills.   Break even?  Sure, that's fine. 

But right now my gains depend too much on how willing my teammates are to fight or flee when we make contact, and how well they are at staying together & focus firing.  So maybe that's it, along with the lack of maps, the trial mech grind(s), etc.  :-[



republic

Well I ponied up for a month of premium to help with the grind.  If they can add some additional gameplay, more maps, more mech, etc. I can see myself 'subscribing'.  I've always liked the Mechwarrior series and wanted to get into tabletop.

After Mechwarrior 4 from Microsoft I really grew to love the Uziel, and I hope it eventually makes it.

I hope they do some sort of story based content as well.  Make up a war between the clans and let the matches count towards an overall goal.  The winners get some swag, etc.

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on October 31, 2012, 08:57:56 PM


I hope they do some sort of story based content as well.  Make up a war between the clans and let the matches count towards an overall goal.  The winners get some swag, etc.

That's what the Galactic Warfare thing is supposed to be about - faction warfare for control of planets/territory.  It's what WOT always needed, and one of the good things that WW2 Online featured.  Having a 'campaign' of sorts. 

But from a dev statement, they only just allotted people to begin creating that.  So I wouldn't expect to see it for a long time.  I'd be a bit concerned about getting burned out on the One-Off Matches by the time it was implemented, and not going back to it by then.  :-\

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on October 31, 2012, 10:39:42 PM

But from a dev statement, they only just allotted people to begin creating that.  So I wouldn't expect to see it for a long time.  I'd be a bit concerned about getting burned out on the One-Off Matches by the time it was implemented, and not going back to it by then.  :-\
That's disappointing to hear, as it's a big reason why I've remained interested in MWO.  Without the Galactic Warfare element to make battles actually *mean* something, the game isn't going to hold much nearly as appeal for me -- some still, yes, but not much. 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

republic

Anyone still at this?  I'm still enjoying it quite a bit.  Be nice to group up with some other grogs.

Yskonyn

Quote from: Martok on November 01, 2012, 10:56:17 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 31, 2012, 10:39:42 PM

But from a dev statement, they only just allotted people to begin creating that.  So I wouldn't expect to see it for a long time.  I'd be a bit concerned about getting burned out on the One-Off Matches by the time it was implemented, and not going back to it by then.  :-\
That's disappointing to hear, as it's a big reason why I've remained interested in MWO.  Without the Galactic Warfare element to make battles actually *mean* something, the game isn't going to hold much nearly as appeal for me -- some still, yes, but not much.

I've said it over at WG as well, but it seems like many original promises about making a true to canon MW game are being dropped or otherwise on hold more and more.
At this point its just a shooter, which happens to feature Mechs. And arena based matches don't particularly interest me.
I, too, was looking foward to the whole galactic warfare aspect. More in the spirit of the Battletech tabletop wargame.
It currently holds little interest for me, eventhough I am a huge fan of the tabletop game and the BT universe.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Martok

I can't really add more, other than to say I agree with your post in its entirety Yskonyn. 


(Where do you live, by the way?  I can't imagine we're anywhere close enough to ever to do some actual BattleTech tabletop gaming, but I figure it can't hurt to ask. ;) ) 


"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces