Lovecraft: What Am I Missing?

Started by LongBlade, July 02, 2013, 11:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelldrake

Out of Mind, while low budget, is a well worth watching take on the Lovecraft mythos.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213968/
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

airboy

His two best short stories were:
Shadow over Innsmouth
Call of Cthulhu

He is famous for two reasons.  First, he started a new sub-genre of literature.  The literature has lasted almost 100 years now.
Second, his work inspired an awesome RPG - Call of Cthulhu!!! 

I agree that At the Mountains of Madness really, really needed an editor.

Roger Zelazny wrote a Cthulhu-type book that was just outstanding:
A Night in Lonesome October.  It is simply amazing.

Gusington

Lovecraft was also most likely clinically depressed and a drug-addicted alcoholic. His life story is quite depressing. It seems like maladies like those are somehow linked to creative thinking.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Hiimori

An insider's tip to capture the true Lovecraftian atmosphere: I highly recommend the movie "The Call of Cthulhu", a silent movie from 2005, filmed with original silent movie techniques from 1920. VERY cool and very Cthulhu!

http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Hiimori on July 07, 2013, 05:09:34 PM
An insider's tip to capture the true Lovecraftian atmosphere: I highly recommend the movie "The Call of Cthulhu", a silent movie from 2005, filmed with original silent movie techniques from 1920. VERY cool and very Cthulhu!

Trailer looks very cool!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

airboy

This is on netflix

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

airboy

My wife and I watched it on Netflix tonight.  We gave it 4 stars out of 5.  Well worth watching if you like the genre.

Gusington

Also just watched it...I really liked that it was "silent." Well done.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grimnirsson

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

I've been reading "Strange Case of somebody Ward." It's actually pretty good.

Great? Meh. But I'm getting where he's coming from now and I see the inspiration behind the games. It's not a bad time killer on my Kindle.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

FarAway Sooner

A couple things to keep in mind about Lovecraft:

1) He was writing before practically anybody else besides Jules Verne had done science fiction.  Put aside all the hackneyed themes of alien invaders that have been hashed and rehashed to the consistency of tapioca in the last 50 years.  Put yourself in the mindset of somebody in the 1920s, where science is making huge advances and much of the world is unknown but the world is untamed and a lot of mystery still remains. 

2) Imagine the literary forebears he had to draw on for that genre.  Let's see, there was Edgar Allan Poe...  and there was Edgar Allan Poe...

3) He bent and blended genres in ways that nobody's been able to since.  Stephen King tries (and King himself admits that Lovecraft was his primary inspiration among 20th century authors), but his novels have to be set in the modern world where so much more is known.  Lovecraft was writing at a time when much less was known, but the rate of change in life hinted at huge potentialities.  He just explored those potentialities in less... pleasant directions than some authors.

He's not everybody's cup of tea, and I'll admit that I read him sparingly.  But I think he's a real pioneer and his stories really freak me out.  The Rats in the Walls still makes me shudder.

Gusington

Don't forget his drug use, alcoholism and mental illness! What more do you need for a great writer?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.