Steel Beast Gameplay Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, July 14, 2013, 09:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Well, I gave in....big surprise there:)  I rationalized it to myself that I didn't purchase any of the summer sales items....so I deserved it.

Played a lot with it over the weekend and I never got bored....that is a sign of a good game for myself.  Plus, tons of missions and version 3.0 right around the corner.

jomni

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 15, 2013, 05:15:27 PM
Well, I gave in....big surprise there:)  I rationalized it to myself that I didn't purchase any of the summer sales items....so I deserved it.

Played a lot with it over the weekend and I never got bored....that is a sign of a good game for myself.  Plus, tons of missions and version 3.0 right around the corner.

Do you have to pay for 3.0 upgrade this time around?  They usually charge for an upgrade.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: jomni on July 15, 2013, 05:49:14 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 15, 2013, 05:15:27 PM

Do you have to pay for 3.0 upgrade this time around?  They usually charge for an upgrade.

Yes, it will be $40 when released as an upgrade.  The base game will sell for $115 so it is the same cost for me if I buy it now and upgrade or just have waited until version 3.0 released.  Both ways equates to $115.

jomni

I see.  So they discounted the current version for fairness.

Ssnake

Quote from: jomni on July 15, 2013, 08:34:21 PM
I see.  So they discounted the current version for fairness.
We always do. :)

Staggerwing

Ssnake,
how far back can my version go and still be eligible for a single paid upgrade? I have a codestick which I purchased on eBay a while back along with the disk but have not had a chance to install and try out. IIRC its version 2 point low-number-something. I'll have to go dig it out from among the rest of my post-recent-move boxes.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Skoop

I think all you need is the base game and the original codemeter stick and you just pay the cost of the most recent upgrade.  You can skip past paid upgrades, but once you buy the latest upgrade you get everthing up to that point.  So if you missed the last couple past upgrades and are planning on getting 3.0, you should be fine with what you have.

Yskonyn

+1
I believe Skoop hit the nail on its head there!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Ssnake

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 16, 2013, 07:36:58 PM
how far back can my version go and still be eligible for a single paid upgrade?
To the dawn of time.

That said, future upgrades AFTER version 3.0 will require this new version 3.0 as the new base license.

Ssnake

I would recommend however that you do two preparatory steps:
1) Download and install the current CodeMeter runtime version from the CodeMeter.com download/service page
2) Start the CodeMeter Control Center (with your stick plugged in), and click the circular arrow to update your stick's firmware. Otherwise new licenses won't install.

Jack Nastyface

FWIW...the original Steel Beasts was a game that NEVER left my hard-drive.  I must have put in literally hundreds of hours on that title, and because it had reasonable CPU requirements, I was even able to play it on my laptop in hotel rooms during my "travelling consultant" years.

When SB ProPE was originally released, I also balked at the price. Anything over $100 seemed very expensive for what I originally considered to be "computer game".  Then I got an Xbox, and started shelling out $50 - $60 for AAA titles that gave me oh perhaps 15-20 hours of single-player gaming.  That's when I re-evalutated my reluctance about the "price of admission" for SB Pro PE.  My ONLY regret now is NOT buying it immediately, upon release.

IMHO, SB Pro PE is simply the best armored warfare simulator available.  I would hardly consider it a "game" due to the incredible depth and breadth of experiences it provides.  What has really surprised me the most about SB Pro PE is not just how fun and challenging the "big tanks" are, but I have also come to love playing the lighter AFVs (the M2A2 bradley) and the light AT vehicles (the TOW armed Hummer, for example).  I have had endless hours of fun just modify a single scenario - Tanks! (you vs nine enemy units) - with different enemy units, friendly units (including AT infantry), UAV support, IEDs, artillery and vehicle weapon loadouts.

I have admittedly not played any multi-player games, yet.  However, the crowd at the SB forums seem amicable enough, and I only balk at the time commitment (don't get many (any?) Friday nights with uninterrupted game time).  I would certainly be interested in seeing if we could get a couple of grogheads games going.

This next release is going to take SB Pro PE to truly "the next level", and I anticipate that this series will eventually be first on my "most hours spent playing" all-time list.

Sabot up!

Jack Nastyface   
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Yskonyn

Well said!

I am all for a Groghead SB party!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Got my dongle in the mail the other day, so I am up and running at this point...haven't done much yet, but I can tell it is worth it.  If there are some beginners out there for multi-play, might be willing to jump in myself.  My biggest issue is time and coordinating it with others.  But I have watched some videos of multi play and seems awesome, granted they are expert players:)

Staggerwing

The eSim store is still down for maintenance. Looks like they moved the 'up' date to 7/23.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 21, 2013, 06:21:16 PM
The eSim store is still down for maintenance. Looks like they moved the 'up' date to 7/23.

I wonder if any chance preparing for version 3.0 and will be available then?