Good medieval reading?

Started by Toonces, July 23, 2013, 01:30:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Some of the blurps I've just read say it obliquely leads into the 'Celtic Crusades' series, of which 'The Iron Lance' is the first. I may have read some of Lawhead's early books long ago but the only book I am sure of is 'Albion'. Interestingly, though it's an Arthurian story it is set in modern times. In fact, very slightly in the future.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

if it is I never got clued in.  I wasn't looking for another book when I finished it.  It was pretty self-contained to me.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on July 24, 2013, 07:37:14 PM
^Teasing me again!! Is Byzantium the first of a series?
Heh.  No, nothing like that.  Just a cool little thing (for me, anyway) that's mentioned at the end of the book. 

EDIT:  WTH??  Staggerwing and brant's posts hadn't shown up for me at the time I posted this... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Bought, along with a book on the disappearance of Rome's 9th Legion...which fof some reason won't be delivered for a month.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2013, 07:34:09 AM
Bought, along with a book on the disappearance of Rome's 9th Legion...which fof some reason won't be delivered for a month.

is that book the one the movie is based on?
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Martok

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 24, 2013, 07:55:28 PM
Some of the blurps I've just read say it obliquely leads into the 'Celtic Crusades' series, of which 'The Iron Lance' is the first.
I would disagree with those blurbs. 

To be sure, the Celtic Crusades trilogy (which I also own and enjoy) takes place in the same -- continuum? universe? -- as Byzantium:  There's an organization called the Cele De that's common to both works (in addition to Lawhead's standalone novel Patrick: Son of Ireland, which precedes both), and I believe the CC trilogy also makes a reference or two to Aidan (the main character in Byzantium) as an historical figure. 

Other than that, however, there's really no direct link between them.  Similar to how Patrick is (obviously) set several centuries before Byzantium, the events in Byzantium take place 130-150 years (IIRC) before The Iron Lance (the first book in the Celtic Crusades trilogy). 

All that being said, I do tend to read Patrick, Byzantium, and the CC trilogy as a larger series.  It's by no means necessary to do so, however, as the first two really are separate books that stand on their own. 

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 24, 2013, 07:55:28 PM
I may have read some of Lawhead's early books long ago but the only book I am sure of is 'Albion'. Interestingly, though it's an Arthurian story it is set in modern times. In fact, very slightly in the future.
I'm guessing you meant Avalon: The Return of King Arthur?  Or were you referring to Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy? 

Interestingly, the former can be read (if one so desires) as a sort of distant finale to his Pendragon Cycle novels.  I admittedly don't care for it as much as the main series, but it's still a decent read if you enjoyed the Pendragon books. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on July 25, 2013, 07:34:09 AM
Sweet.  I really hope you like it! 

Toonces

Thanks for the recommendations.  Byzantium is in the library, so I have that one on the list for later.

What I did end up picking up (all for Kindle) are:

The Dragon and the Raven
Sir Nigel
The White Company

I don't know how any of them are, yet, but I'll keep you informed.  Incidentally, all of these books are available for free for your Kindle on Amazon.com!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Staggerwing

Quote from: Martok on July 25, 2013, 08:30:19 AM

I'm guessing you meant Avalon: The Return of King Arthur?  Or were you referring to Lawhead's Song of Albion trilogy? 

Interestingly, the former can be read (if one so desires) as a sort of distant finale to his Pendragon Cycle novels.  I admittedly don't care for it as much as the main series, but it's still a decent read if you enjoyed the Pendragon books.

LOL- Yes, I meant Avalon. Silly me. I did like it even if it was slightly preachy. I'm guessing that trend probably runs through Byzantium and Patrick as well.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

besilarius

Toonces, think you'll like the White Company quite a lot.
Arthur Conan Doyle, the Sherlock Holmes author, believed his historical fiction would last.  The Holmes stuff?  Forgotten in twenty years.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.