Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers

Started by vyshka, July 24, 2013, 08:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

Though WWII Steel Panthers remake is more than welcome.  I sure hope they do MBT first.  Too many WWII games already.  Better yet, maybe make it a "century of warfare" thing like TOAW.

Staggerwing

I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Double Deuce

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1

Tuna

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1
+1

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

He'll have to do the code from scratch.

However, I hope he holds the architecture the same.

As for Jomni's comment that there are too many WWII games? Heresy!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

FlickJax

I want a very good wwII GAME AGAIN, THEIR MIGHT BE LOTS BUT THERE IS ALSO A LOT OF DROSS.  oops caps lock

Swatter

•   War in the East 2.0 - a remake of War in the East using the War in the West engine and new map system (another building block foe the mega game).
•   War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)
•   War in the West 1941-43 (Mediterranean)
•   War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!

Oh God! Please Stop!

I like wargames as much as the next guy here, but WiE isn't really even a game. At least not what I would call a game. Just the thought of commanding the Soviets at the sub-divisional level was enough to make me not even take a second look. Do they command what, 1500 units per turn? I mean holy crap, is that fun? It is even possible to intelligently command that many units?

mirth

Quote from: Swatter on July 27, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
Do they command what, 1500 units per turn? I mean holy crap, is that fun? It is even possible to intelligently command that many units?

Hitler did it and he loved it! :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jomni

Quote from: Swatter on July 27, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
I like wargames as much as the next guy here, but WiE isn't really even a game.

Believe me, WitE is a game because it is very 'gamey'.  ;)

SgtRock

Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1

Who's going to pay for a new game that is nothing but, a graphic update, everyone would be screaming RipOff!  GG has a good track record of creating new versions of his old games (New - Old: WITP - Pacific War, WITE - War in Russia)! I just hope we don't have to wait 10 years for it!


vyshka

Quote from: SgtRock on July 27, 2013, 11:02:51 PM
Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1

Who's going to pay for a new game that is nothing but, a graphic update, everyone would be screaming RipOff!  GG has a good track record of creating new versions of his old games (New - Old: WITP - Pacific War, WITE - War in Russia)! I just hope we don't have to wait 10 years for it!

Even Steel Panthers I believe was an update of his Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel, and Overrun series of games from the 80s.

Pete Dero

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

Barthheart


Zulu1966

Quote from: Pete Dero on May 04, 2017, 08:48:32 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

The archon engine - so does that mean squares not hexes ?
Mmmmm.....very "spiritual "
"you are the rule maker, the dictator, the mini- Stalin, Mao, Hitler, the emperor, generalissimo, the MAN. You may talk the talk and appear to be quite easy going to foster popularity, but to the MAN I say F*CK YOU." And Steve G is F******g rude ? Just another day on the BF forum ... one demented idiots reaction to BF disagreeing about the thickness of the armour on a Tiger II turret mantlet.

PipFromSlitherine

Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 04, 2017, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 04, 2017, 08:48:32 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

The archon engine - so does that mean squares not hexes ?
Mmmmm.....very "spiritual "
Nope, hexes.  Don't confuse engine with game :)   Much as hexes are evil anyway...

Cheers

Pip