Birth of the Federation discussion

Started by Martok, July 25, 2013, 02:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 03, 2013, 04:57:56 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but this IS the Internet, and Martok, I think your BotF AAR thread has been hijacked enough. :)

I've gone to the website Mirth specified back in the AAR (http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/), and the site has a tutorial for installing the "Multi main installer." However, clicking that link ("BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe") takes me to a page that says "You are trying to access a restricted area."

It seems like this should be a pretty simple procedure, but there's so many files and things listed there I wouldn't know where to begin, especially when the page doesn't work. At least, not for me.

You have to register at the site, to download it.

Although it may be hosted somewhere else that doesn't require a login.

LongBlade

It seems like this should be a pretty simple procedure, but there's so many files and things listed there I wouldn't know where to begin, especially when the page doesn't work. At least, not for me.

Well...you are a cat.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on September 03, 2013, 06:18:49 PM
I hate to ask a stupid question, but this IS the Internet, and Martok, I think your BotF AAR thread has been hijacked enough. :)

I've gone to the website Mirth specified back in the AAR (http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/), and the site has a tutorial for installing the "Multi main installer." However, clicking that link ("BOTF_1.0.2_English_German_e.exe") takes me to a page that says "You are trying to access a restricted area."

You have to register at the site, to download it.

Although it may be hosted somewhere else that doesn't require a login.
Nefaro is correct:  You have to have an account at AFC before you can download stuff there.  It's free, and there's no "you have to have x number of posts first" requirement, but you do need to create an account first. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

solops

STILL playing BotF...what a great game. It is a shame developers don't seem to create this kind of goodness very often.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Martok

Nag self:  I really need to try and get the next chapter in my AAR written out and posted in the next two days.  Argh... 

Quote from: solops on September 05, 2013, 06:58:24 AM
STILL playing BotF...what a great game.
Awesome!  Glad you're continue to have fun with it solops

Who are you playing as, btw?  I like the Federation, but the Romulans have long been my personal favorite. 

Quote from: solops on September 05, 2013, 06:58:24 AM
It is a shame developers don't seem to create this kind of goodness very often.
I agree.  Although I frequently caution myself to not view BOTF through rose-tinted lenses anymore than I can help (gods knows the game does have plenty of flaws!), it amazes me how few other 4x games give me the same level of enjoyment -- for me personally, only Armada 2526 and Distant Worlds can truly compete with it (and even they don't quite have the same level of addictiveness IMHO). 

I think what the game does especially well is atmosphere & immersion:  When I fire it up, it really feels like I'm playing as the Federation, Klingons, Romulans, etc.  For as imperfect -- and old -- as this game is, I've always felt that anyone who likes both Star Trek and strategy games owes it to themselves to at least give BOTF a try. 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

BanzaiCat

Thanks for the feedback on the registration, guys (duhhh).

I'm having trouble with them, though. I registered earlier today but it wouldn't accept my login credentials, so I got frustrated and tried 'Lost Password,' and it told me no e-mail was on file. But when I went to re-register and entered my e-mail, it said that e-mail was already registered.

Maybe it's human-approved? Ah well. I'm dying to play BotF in a non-vanilla format without having the damn Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons always four sectors from Sol, even on large maps. Or having tons of stars near Sol, but them having one gas giant and one tiny Tundra rock that can support a pop of 25. Sigh.

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 05, 2013, 05:26:41 PM
I'm having trouble with them, though. I registered earlier today but it wouldn't accept my login credentials, so I got frustrated and tried 'Lost Password,' and it told me no e-mail was on file. But when I went to re-register and entered my e-mail, it said that e-mail was already registered.

Maybe it's human-approved?
I don't *think* your account needs to be manually approved by the admins, but then it's been so long since I registered myself that I really don't remember anymore. 

Let me PM the AFC staff and see if I can find out what's going on.  Just so I'm not assuming, is your handle the same over there as here?  (If not, feel free to PM me your AFC handle if you like.) 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 05, 2013, 05:26:41 PM
I'm dying to play BotF in a non-vanilla format without having the damn Cardassians, Romulans, and Klingons always four sectors from Sol, even on large maps. Or having tons of stars near Sol, but them having one gas giant and one tiny Tundra rock that can support a pop of 25. Sigh.
Believe me, I sympathize! 

Fortunately, most of the mods address the overabundance of gas giants (and the shortage of good/big planets) in some shape or form.  In addition, at least four of the mods -- All the Ages, Balance of Power, Galaxies, and Ultimate Dominion 3 -- either automatically come with significantly larger maps, and/or include a Large Map version that you can choose to install as well. 

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Martok, that would be great. My handle is indeed the same. Glad I did it that way.

I have a lot to learn when it comes to the mods, but I think at this point any mod would be better than the vanilla version.

"All the Ages" sounds interesting - I assumed there had to be some kind of mod out there that started at the true beginnings, such as giving the Federation the NX-01 first, then later the Constitution-class, then the Enterprise-class, and so on. Is my assumption too far off? Sorry if the answers are right there in the modding site, but it's hard to figure out where to start or what to work with.

Nefaro

I actually found a d/l link for it which didn't require registration, a couple months ago.   Can't find it now.   :-\

Martok

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 06, 2013, 01:49:10 PM
Thanks, Martok, that would be great. My handle is indeed the same. Glad I did it that way.
Hey, I'm just happy to help if I can.  8) 

By the by, I heard back from one of the admins.  Here's what he had to say: 
Quotehi Martok,

no user by that name is registered, after he registered did he confirm registration from e-mail that was sent? it may have went to his junk mail. if he does not confirm from the link in that e-mail he can not sign in.

thunderchero
So if you've not already done so, you may want to check your junk folder to see if you've received a registration confirmation.  If that doesn't take care of the issue, let me know! 

I have a lot to learn when it comes to the mods, but I think at this point any mod would be better than the vanilla version.
Oh, unquestionably.  I know of very few people who play BOTF without some sort of mod these days.  I (obviously) enjoyed the vanilla game immensely, but at a certain point I realized I wanted more. 

I personally went with the BOP mod because it balanced things out much much better while still retaining the "flavor" of the original game.  As you said, however, pretty much any mod improves on the vanilla experience. 

"All the Ages" sounds interesting - I assumed there had to be some kind of mod out there that started at the true beginnings, such as giving the Federation the NX-01 first, then later the Constitution-class, then the Enterprise-class, and so on. Is my assumption too far off? Sorry if the answers are right there in the modding site, but it's hard to figure out where to start or what to work with.
Yep, you've pretty much described it to a "T".  :) 

The mod is divided into five "eras" (which correspond to the five civilization levels each faction can start at):  Enterprise, TOS, movies, TNG, and DS9/Voyager. 

As your research progresses, you'll reach a new era (I believe every other tech level), which will unlock new ships corresponding to that era.  I've not played the ATA mod much myself, but it's been generally well-received and recommended. 

BanzaiCat

*sigh*

I found the e-mail in my Gmail Spam folder. I never look in there, but then again I don't usually use that e-mail to register for anything like this.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I was able to deduce that I flubbed my handle with a typo, and it was more than 24 hours since I tried, so I was able to redo it and voila, access.

Martok

Cool!  Glad you were able to get it worked out.  Now go and try out some mods.  8) 

BanzaiCat

I had a few issues trying to get it to run, but finally figured it out. All the Ages is pretty fun. I won't have time to get into it today but I hopefully will later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks again!  8)

Martok

You're welcome, good sir.  :D 

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on September 07, 2013, 01:18:04 PM
I won't have time to get into it today
Sigh.  I know the feeling... 

BanzaiCat

OK, so I couldn't stay away from it.

This is a little weird...

I played a bit of one game, where I ran into minor race after minor race. I saved it, then came back later, but the save game was gone.

That wasn't the weird part. Later, I started another game, saved it, and the save game was there. The weird part is this:

That's a nice big map, BTW. Anyway, the only minor race I've run into is the Gorn (which is AWESOME). I've long since absorbed them into the Federation. But I've not run into any other minor race. And I set it to 'Many' in the options screen.

You ever run into that, Martok? (Or anyone else?)