Have you Pre-Ordered Europa Universalis IV?

Started by republic, August 03, 2013, 05:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Damned release-day DLC.  Despite pre-order bonus DLC, there is already separate launch day extras for sale.  Notably some 'Star And Crescent' deal with extra muslim events??  ???




ross_ntu

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2013, 12:01:20 PM
Damned release-day DLC.  Despite pre-order bonus DLC, there is already separate launch day extras for sale.  Notably some 'Star And Crescent' deal with extra muslim events??  ???

Yes - I agree.  I will defend Paradox to the hilt, even the fact that their games were, at times, questionably tested on release.  However, I really do not like the plethora of meaningless DLC that they plug, leaving you feeling slightly insecure that maybe you are missing out on that little something that takes the game to the next level.

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on August 13, 2013, 12:01:20 PM
Damned release-day DLC.  Despite pre-order bonus DLC, there is already separate launch day extras for sale.  Notably some 'Star And Crescent' deal with extra muslim events??  ???
And this one of the many reasons I'm waiting.  ;D 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

sandman2575

Quote from: ross_ntu on August 13, 2013, 12:08:03 PM
Yes - I agree.  I will defend Paradox to the hilt, even the fact that their games were, at times, questionably tested on release.  However, I really do not like the plethora of meaningless DLC that they plug, leaving you feeling slightly insecure that maybe you are missing out on that little something that takes the game to the next level.

+1 and then some.  DLC, 'pay to play,' 'premium content' etc. are quickly becoming a black spot on what is otherwise a Golden Age of computer gaming. 

I just hate the nickle-&-dime you approach.  But it's here to stay.

Yskonyn

The Muslim thingy was a pre-order bonus and should not have to be bought seperately if you pre-ordered. ?
The extra thing I do see, are some buildings.. or pictures of buildings.... or whatever that pack is?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

PanzersEast

Just in case you guys have questions.... Arumba put out some videos covering a wide variety of topics in a short condensed format videos.  Also, his Dwarf Fortress tutorial/LP is excellent as well.... just FYI

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH-huzMEgGWBz8XAD77YTwMe6wx-Ql_Ao


PE

Kushan

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 13, 2013, 12:27:04 PM
The Muslim thingy was a pre-order bonus and should not have to be bought seperately if you pre-ordered. ?
The extra thing I do see, are some buildings.. or pictures of buildings.... or whatever that pack is?

The Muslim DLC was included only if you got the digital deluxe edition. I think it only included character portraits and maybe culture building and event images.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

You're right.

It's all a bit vaguely named, I discovered; the 'monuments' DLC I mentioned earlier, actually is part of the Call to Arms DLC. Which in turn has been made available for purchase due to popular demand (it was first a pre-order incentive bonus pack).
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Tuna

Do you need to use Steam to start it? Just asking because CK2, Vicky2 and  EUIII you don't need to.. So wondering if I have to log into my 14 year old's account when I want to play.. Not a big deal, just a small annoyance.. lol.. like when he logs into my account to play my games!  :P

Nefaro

#114
Ugh. Tech bug.

Playing as a larger nation has been giving some of us regular stutter from some graphics bug/mem leak.  After I played England for a few months' game time, I started getting a steady fps bottoming-out every ~3 seconds. 

After checking the support forum, it's fairly common.  Looks to be most endemic in AMD vid cards. 

Evidentally some of the new flashy graphic effects haven't been fully tested in this release version.   At first, I was quite surprised at how well it ran for how shiny it looked.  Until the mem leak (or whatever the issue may be) hit awhile later.  :-[


On another note - I've been quite happy with some of the changes since EU3.  It just reminds me of all the annoying flaws in EU3 that always made me quit playing.  Looks like they've made some good adjustments in the game mechanics.  The biggest thing left, which I'd still bitch about, is the small -/+3 Stability scale and the overzealous use of events for constantly pouring Stab hits on the player.   Yes, Precious.  Another constant barrage of "Comet Events" where, when you have a choice, it's either one penalty, another penalty, or no choice at all.  Kinda ruins random events when most of them are bad, ya know?  :-\


EDIT:  One more note.  The CK2 converter only natively works with the Steam version of CK2.  Supposedly there is a way of copying & pasting all your Gamersgate DLC install over to the Steam install (??) but I'm already a bit too frustrated to mess with this at the moment, while jacking with various video settings in the EU4 options file to get rid of the video bug.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Tuna on August 13, 2013, 04:53:10 PM
Do you need to use Steam to start it? Just asking because CK2, Vicky2 and  EUIII you don't need to.. So wondering if I have to log into my 14 year old's account when I want to play.. Not a big deal, just a small annoyance.. lol.. like when he logs into my account to play my games!  :P

I've read elsewhere that starting it up from the game folder means you don't actually run it through Steam. You can even move the entire install folder somewhere else if you really wanted to.

jomni

#116
Grrr. Just had my first game crash.

Tuna

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 13, 2013, 07:33:28 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 13, 2013, 04:53:10 PM
Do you need to use Steam to start it? Just asking because CK2, Vicky2 and  EUIII you don't need to.. So wondering if I have to log into my 14 year old's account when I want to play.. Not a big deal, just a small annoyance.. lol.. like when he logs into my account to play my games!  :P

I've read elsewhere that starting it up from the game folder means you don't actually run it through Steam. You can even move the entire install folder somewhere else if you really wanted to.

Thanks, yes, my Son just told me that is the case.. my computer is logged into his ID right now.. but it's very slow downloading!.. 25 - 100kbs... maybe I"ll go to bed and just let it go!

Bison

Quote from: Tuna on August 13, 2013, 09:07:16 PM
Thanks, yes, my Son just told me that is the case.. my computer is logged into his ID right now.. but it's very slow downloading!.. 25 - 100kbs... maybe I"ll go to bed and just let it go!

You don't have time for this game.  You are supposed to be learning DOTA 2!  Now pause your download and get back into training!

Tuna

Quote from: Bison on August 13, 2013, 09:11:53 PM
Quote from: Tuna on August 13, 2013, 09:07:16 PM
Thanks, yes, my Son just told me that is the case.. my computer is logged into his ID right now.. but it's very slow downloading!.. 25 - 100kbs... maybe I"ll go to bed and just let it go!

You don't have time for this game.  You are supposed to be learning DOTA 2!  Now pause your download and get back into training!

LOL.. I ended up doing some Warlock with Stophro and CommandTent, because we were falling behind in our AAR. My 17 year old was playing Dota2 as well.. I've also promised him I'd join him at some point as well... But this EU IV looks cool!... Too many games, too little time!