EUIV: Tactics, Tips, Strategies, Questions....

Started by PanzersEast, August 13, 2013, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

I've steam rolled the east with the Ottomans.... so much so that I am looking at restarting as another country.  I have 71+ army and I have steam rolled much of the region.


PE

Nefaro

The Ottomans are considered very strong in this one.  They're like the Wicked Blue Blob of the East now. 

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 11, 2013, 11:13:16 AM
The Ottomans are considered very strong in this one.  They're like the Wicked Blue Blob of the East now.

They are an eastern steam roller..... even coalitions fall to me.


PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 11, 2013, 11:28:28 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 11, 2013, 11:13:16 AM
The Ottomans are considered very strong in this one.  They're like the Wicked Blue Blob of the East now.

They are an eastern steam roller..... even coalitions fall to me.


PE

Which are you gonna play next?  Something a bit more.. difficult?  :D

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 11, 2013, 06:02:57 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on September 11, 2013, 11:28:28 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 11, 2013, 11:13:16 AM
The Ottomans are considered very strong in this one.  They're like the Wicked Blue Blob of the East now.

They are an eastern steam roller..... even coalitions fall to me.


PE

Which are you gonna play next?  Something a bit more.. difficult?  :D

I'm going to bow up on Europe as Austria.....


PE

Kushan

Anyone else running into steam sync errors when using iron man mode? Lost my Austria iron man game last night when steam disconnected right after I had concluded peace with the Ottomans (when it autosaves). I've been having random steam disconnects and random game freezes when playing EU IV. Normally its not a game breaking issue. My PC locks up for a few minutes then starts working normally again. Apparently this time it created a "perfect storm" of events and I lost my save.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

#126
Quote from: Kushan on September 15, 2013, 02:56:38 PM
Anyone else running into steam sync errors when using iron man mode? Lost my Austria iron man game last night when steam disconnected right after I had concluded peace with the Ottomans (when it autosaves). I've been having random steam disconnects and random game freezes when playing EU IV. Normally its not a game breaking issue. My PC locks up for a few minutes then starts working normally again. Apparently this time it created a "perfect storm" of events and I lost my save.

Pretty sure that's the crappily-performing Steam cloud server connectivity hitting you, there.

I've not fired up EU4 in the past week or two but their cloud servers have always been slow as old people f**king, even for the tiniest of save files.  Unfortunately, EU4 freezes until your cloud save goes through, on Ironman mode, and it saves all the damn time. Considering I've also been seeing some Steam patches stalling out for minutes at a time before starting back up, I'm gonna add two and four together and blame Steam.  It's the obvious choice.  ;)

They're probably getting overloaded with users saving to the cloud (it's on by default IIRC so even people who don't use it get their shiz saved to it constantly) or their client is a buggy piece of poocake, which also wouldn't be anything unusual.

Kushan

In case anyone is interested new DLC is available. Probably get them at some point. The national monuments are kinda meh IMO. Unless you play the map close you you don't really notice them. Haven't played any campaign with the USA in it, but more events can't be a bad thing.

Quote

The American Dream DLC adds over 50 new, unique events, 10 themed event pictures, as well as several new unit models to the United States of America.

National Monuments II adds new graphical national monuments to the already stunning Europa Universalis IV map.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/11508/
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

#128
Not too crazed about a USA DLC pack.  I mean.. they only show up in the latest stages of the game, ideally, so it's not really all that attractive to me.  I've never started from such a late game stage, either, since playing such a short game stretch in one of these Paradox games just isn't that appealing.

On another note, I believe the big new patch is supposed to be out sometime today.  It reportedly has a few new little features and interface tweaks, along with bug fixes & such.


EDIT:

Patch 1.2 just released!

Kushan

Patch Notes:

Quote
#################################
# New Features
#################################

- Added new ideagroups for Anatolian Beyliks, Marathas, Taungu, Rajput States,Granada, Papal States, Daimyos, Serbia, Orissa, Punjab, Ragusa, German States, Ryukyu, Bengal States, Tibet, Dravidian States, Assam, Gujarati States, Tuscany, USA, Switzerland, Irish States, Songhai, Brittany, Malayan States, Arabian States, Italian States, Najd & Hedjaz

- When you release a vassal you now get the option to swap to that country and play as it.

- Added two buttons to the peace interface. 'Surrender' - clicking this will automatically construct a peace offer the AI would accept & 'Suggest Demands' that constructs a demanding peace offer the AI will accept.

- Editboxes can now have use copy/paste/cut and accepts text from other applications. This is handy if you want to copy a steamid for example. Also implemented some basic text navigation-features like ctrl-skipping words, and marking text.

- There is now support for windowed fullscreen, and you can now toggle between fullscreen, windowed, windowed fullscreen) in the video-settings.

- Added in two new mapmodes, one to display coalitions, and one to display opinions.

- Added in five new achievements: Grand Coalition - to get a coalition with 6 members in it. Trade Hegemon - be a western european and owning Aden, Hormoz & Malacca. Winged Hussars - Have the Winged Hussar unit, while having at least 50% cavalry power. Luck of the Irish - Conquer all the british isles as an irish country. Sunset Invasion - Start as the Aztecs and conquer Lisbon, Madrid, Paris, London, Amsterdam & Rome.

List of changes is too long to post the full thing here.

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?723913-...
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

I'm glad they added new Idea Groups for some of the more rarely played nations.  The fewer nations using that same single national idea group, the better.

Anyone know if they lowered the Auto-Save to Cloud frequency in IronMan mode?  That thing was getting pretty annoying when it was constantly stuttering due to waiting on the Cloud upload to Steam.  But you gotta use IronMan to get achievements.

TheCommandTent

So I couldn't help myself and picked up EUIV from the STEAM sale this weekend.  I went with the Extreme Edition because, well it says extreme in the title and I am sucker for marketing ....  I have no idea when I will have proper time to sink into this game but if/when I do are there any newbie guides out there that would be helpful or advice for a first timer to the EU series?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

^Ditto that. Also any advice for someone who was shallacked by EUI and hasn't returned since.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

undercovergeek

Quote from: Gusington on May 31, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
^Ditto that. Also any advice for someone who was shallacked by EUI and hasn't returned since.

for me personally

youtube, search for arumba, and within his channel search for EUIV - why tutorials, what for tutorials, newbie tutorials, how to tutorials, trade tutorials, watch and play tutorials

TacticalWargames

The Spanish tutorial campaign helped me a fair bit.