HOI III (Their Finest Hour) AAR - Going it alone

Started by undercovergeek, August 20, 2013, 05:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Quote from: Keunert on September 04, 2013, 10:59:38 AM
how are your diplomatic relations with the big powers?
another question: what if germany will do poorly from 1939? can you stay away from germany or will a poor executed german war take you down anyway?

Diplo is good, all my resources for diplo/intel are being put into increasing the threat of my likely conquests. Neighbours regard others as a threat before me which i thought may change after the invasion, but im that nice even Yugoslavia still think Albania are more dangerous than i am!

US and UK's highest threats are Japan, and there is no Pact of Steel with Japan yet.

Im hoping by maintaining independence i dont have to get dragged around europe like Germanys lapdog and hopefully I can take his southern/eastern european targets before him and be big enough to take him on if he wants a fight

JasonPratt

^^ Thus being Europe's savior from the Nazi menace, and reconstituting the Holy Roman Empire properly along the way!

Plus, once you take Germany's tech, you can start to create Panzers. And then with solid Western backing (and maybe even banking) behind you, you can use Stalin as an excuse to recover all territory lost to Eastern Orthodoxy millennia earlier by sending panthers rolling in like a fo...

...rget it. I doubt you'll ever get around to doing that.

;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

Phase 2 complete, Phase 3 of Operation Illyria and one month later

The shock of the assault during the second and third phase of the invasion came while the Yugoslavian forces were still reeling from the initial blows. They broke and were sent in headlong flight towards the southeast. The advance of the Italian forces struggled to keep in contact with their fleeing foes such was the haste of their retreat. Messe's mobile corps overran several divisions in its path and swept through Split, along the coast and all the way down to the seaport at Cetinje, they now had an unopposed path north to Belgrade - the Yugoslavian forces were in total disarray and surrender seemed imminent. Such was the shock then of the commanders at the front when Mussolini ordered a full halt to all operations.

The elite mountain troops receive their newly outfitted artillery brigades, and Mussolini's new look Italian forces advance towards Ljubljana with ease

Staggerwing

What's with Mussie pulling a Dunkirk halt? Is he afraid his that his Panzeratti are sticking their necks out too far?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Propaganda/public relations, perhaps?  If Benito's justification for the war was the recovery of Italian territory, he may not want to push things too far -- at least for now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Keunert

^this move shows what a righteous leader he is: having righteous claims and stopping once those claims are fullfilled. i applause this man of honour!
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

undercovergeek

Despite his ambitions for Italy, his successes, his revolution of Italian industry and the armed forces Mussolini still found himself summonsed to the Fascist Grand Council in Rome to explain his actions. He desperately maintained stopping the advance was the sensible thing to do with the approach of winter, but every military man knew different. The King began to question his management of the war.

Mussolini gave an impassioned speech imploring them to trust in his judgment, he would do nothing to jeapordise the glory of Italy. He had for the past 15 years guided the ship of state with wisdom, and their trust in him must remain strong.

In truth Foreign Minister Ciano had received a communique from the United Kingdom's new Prime Minister, Neville Chamberlain. The diplomatic directive therein hinted that Mussolini should stop the advance into Yugoslavian territory immediately, Ciano and his advisors considered this the equivalent of an ultimatum. Mussolini halted the advance in fear of the diplomatic rumblings from the United Kingdom, his new army and certainly his new Navy was is no position to argue with the Great Sea Power - yet. Stopping for the winter was an excuse, Mussolini's pride would not allow him to concede that he had caved to British pressure.

When Italy first attacked Abyssinia, the United Kingdom under Stanley Baldwin had made serious efforts through the League of Nations to pressure Italy to abandon the campaign, but England was unwilling to act without France, and the French cowards were unwilling to act. However, the League resolved to impose sanctions against Italy and in response Mussolini considered suggesting that imposing sanctions would mean war, but he backed down in order to bide his time. He subsequently outsmarted the League in a firebrand speech by responding that "Italy will meet the sanctions with discipline, with frugality and with sacrifice." He allowed the sanctions to be imposed, but they were weak and meaningless - no harm was done to Italian industry, trade in oil, steel and coal continued. Italy's war industry was not affected and even the Suez canal remained open to Italian fleets. It was the The United Kingdom and Baldwin that had backed down.

In May of 1937 Stanley Baldwin resigned and Chamberlain was voted in as the new prime minister. In a break with protocol Chamberlain bypassed his Foreign Secretary Bevin and contacted Mussolini via Ciano directly. At the end of May, just weeks before the start of the invasion of Yugoslavia, Chamberlain remarked, "the lessening of the tension between this country and Italy has a very valuable contribution towards the pacification and appeasement of Europe." Mussolini took this comment as submission to Italy's dominance and if not approval, then acceptance of Italy's campaign in Abyssinia, this also suggested no desire to involve itself in other Italian interests in the region including the invasion of Yugoslavia.

However, the diplomatic communique from Chamberlain had enough hints of resolve embedded in it that it gave Mussolini cause for concern. Under Baldwin Britain had become a bloated, lazy leader of Empire incapable of making war but Mussolini had not yet had the opportunity to test the mettle of Chamberlain. Chamberlain was delighted that Mussolini had stopped his advance, contrary to intelligence reports it suggested that Mussolini was a sincere politician and statesman. He was sure that if he could get Mussolini and Milan Stojadinović, the Yugoslavian prime minister, to sit down and talk he could broker a mutually acceptable agreement that would preserve peace in the Balkans. Mussolini was happy to humour Chamberlain until he was confident Italy could proceed with the offensive without fear of intervention by the western democracies. Chamberlain came to Rome to preside over a peace conference between Mussolini and Stojadinović, he received a warm welcome and was treated with respect. Italian - UK relations became the warmest they had been in years.

A private joke shared between Chamberlain and Mussolini, and Ciano, Lord Halifax, Chamberlain and Mussolini

The conference was a disaster. Stojadinović believed that he had the West's support in the dispute, even militarily if necessary. Not only would he not consider territorial concessions, he dared to mention old territorial claims against Italy. Chamberlain returned to London reporting that the Yugoslavs had made peace impossible, and he was prepared to wash his hands of the matter. To Mussolini this was good as the the United Kingdom's acceptance of the continuation of the war.

Martok

Bennie does some nice ass-covering there.  ;) 

Question:  Does the diplomacy in HoI3 allow countries to actually threaten each other like you described?  Or was your description of Chamberlain issuing that note to Mussolini your own addition? 

"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on September 05, 2013, 07:30:46 AM
Bennie does some nice ass-covering there.  ;) 

Question:  Does the diplomacy in HoI3 allow countries to actually threaten each other like you described?  Or was your description of Chamberlain issuing that note to Mussolini your own addition?

i must confess tis all a lie - just before the halt i needed the African divisions bringing up from Somalia for reserve and id also ordered 4 more divisions that were just about to finish and i needed these to press the attack - that and i couldnt get XXXX's threat level up high enough to attack next so i needed a convenient pause for all the stuff to get finished, plus the IC bonuses for being at war are so juicy!

Martok

Well it was nicely done, in any case.  As I and others have noted before, you have a gift for storytelling.  :) 

undercovergeek

Quote from: Martok on September 05, 2013, 07:53:56 AM
Well it was nicely done, in any case.  As I and others have noted before, you have a gift for storytelling.  :)

much appreciated - thanks  :)

undercovergeek

The elite divisions are finally shipped from Africa to the new Italian frontline, and the mobile corps receive orders to reengage the Yugoslavian defenders

By October 1st 1937 it was blatantly obvious that the Western democracies were unwilling or unable to assist the Yugoslavian state. After a month's inactivity due to the aborted peace process attempts, Mussolini gave the order to restart the offensive. There was nothing elegant or subtle about the plan, the Italian forces up and down the line were briefed to simply destroy the forces opposite them and advance on the capital. The Yugoslavs broke easily and collapsed rearwards towards Belgrade.

Artillery pounds the city, Zingales' divisions advance on the capital, areas in pre-planned sectors of the city bear the brunt of attack, Yugoslavia surrenders

On 21st October 1937 the Battle for Belgrade began. Sixteen artillery brigades pounded the Yugoslav defenders to prepare the way for the infantry. The Italians launched their assault at 5:30 am. The Alpini troops attacked three pre-designated sectors of the city following five major directions with platoon or company strength, this assault took place in very heavy rain. Against the right sector, the Alpini attacked with two companies, with full artillery support. Due to the fierce Yugoslav resistance this attack failed but during the night of October 25-26, the sector's CO organized a successful commando operation against the Yugoslav troops stationed at the village of Grammos on the outskirts of the city and captured a number of officers and vital maps and intelligence.

At the central sector the situation was more dangerous - the Italians advanced against the Yugoslav entrenchments with the main force of the two attacking divisions with the support of artillery guns & mortars. The Yugoslavs fought stubbornly, however at noon on the 27th they were forced to withdraw further into the city. At the left sector the Italians attacked with a force of two further divisions and despite their courageous efforts the defenders failed to hold them back. During the night of the 27th the Italian divisions managed to establish a bridgehead into the city - the Yugoslav HQ worried about the new situation ordered the surrender of the city to prevent further bloodshed and destruction.

Yugoslavia, and more importantly Italian lands were back where they belonged.

After the annexation. Mussolini waited for the inevitable protest from France and the United Kingdom, but it never came. Diplomatic relations remained unchanged. Both England and France seemed more distracted by the more existential threat posed by Germany and Japan. It seemed as if Chamberlain was going to allow Italy a free hand in the Balkans so long as Mussolini did not directly threaten UK interests in the area, which were minimal at best.

BanzaiCat

Step 1: Conquer Yugoslavia
Step 2: ...
Step 3: Profit!

JasonPratt

Step 2: Start driving for Middle Eastern Oil fields?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

undercovergeek

King Zog I, 8e Armata moves to secure its new borders, 1st Alpini Division on the move to the Albanian border

Long before Mussolini's reign, the importance of the port of Vlore and the small Kingdom of Albania had been identified by Italian strategists as essential to dominating the entrance and exit to the Adriatic Sea. In exchange for Italy's agreement to enter the First World War on the side of the allies, Italy had actually been promised the port and the surrounding territory by France and the United Kingdom as part of the "compensation" in the Secret Treaty of London. During the war Italy occupied Vlore and half of the nation to prevent the strategically important port from falling into the hands of the Austro-Hungarians. At the end of the war Italy refused to withdraw resulting in the Vlore War with Albanian patriots in 1920. The Albanian freedom fighters rose up so fast in revolt against the Italian garrison that it was over before reinforcements could be rushed to the area. This defeat led Italy to withdraw its garrison and surrender its claim to the important port. Mussolini, of course, always saw this defeat as a humiliation of his nation that needed to be rectified. Now was his time

Italy had entered into a series of treaties and relationships with the Albanian nation. The Albanian government was subsidized by Italian loans, and the Albanian army was taught by Italian instructors. Although Italian influence was pervasive, King Zog I refused to surrender his nation's autonomy. In 1931 King Zog refused to renew the defensive treaty with Italy and instead sought to strengthen relations with Yugoslavia and Greece. With the sudden collapse of Yugoslavia and the presence of a mighty Italian army on the Albania border, it was clear that King Zog had selected the wrong friends.

Mussolini wanted the port and airbase for future plans and operations. On January 1st 1938, Ciano delivered the ultimatum to King Zog. Albania must immediately accede to Italian occupation in exchange, he and his wife, newly pregnant with his first child and the only heir to his throne would be permitted to retire in luxury to an estate provided by the Italian government. King Zog refused to sell out his country, but he also failed to fight for its independence.