Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: tgb on April 25, 2014, 08:42:31 AM
Am I missing something or is there really no magic or spell-casting system? That's a pretty significant omission for a fantasy-based 4X, and while the game may very well make up for it in other ways (I just took a quick peek for about 5 minutes and read the Alpha manual so far, so I can't really tell yet), I expect it's going to get a drubbing for that reason.

It is not really Fantasy...as I explained in my earlier posts, it actually takes place in the future. Yes, units have armor and traditional weapons at first, but don't expect orks, elves and dwarfs. Its not that kind of fantasy. I'm pretty sure there is magic though, but I have not seen it yet. I picked a starting race that is heavily based on traditional combat.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


undercovergeek

are they the same races from Endless Space?

FlickJax

looks a little like the game of thrones starting graphics

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 25, 2014, 08:48:51 AM
are they the same races from Endless Space?

Not that I have seen, other than having humans.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


tgb

I'm pretty sure that the advance hype was it is a fantasy-based 4X (which doesn't necessarily mean elves and orcs, btw).  Like I said, there's enough good here that it's not a problem for me, but I think people will come into to this expecting something that isn't there.

Recognizing that this is still an Alpha, there are a couple of improvements to the interface that are essential (again, unless they're there and I just can't find them):

Mouse scrolling
End-turn hot key
Informative tool-tip for wandering monsters (right now it just shows the name, not properties)
Different color font for that empire goal thing in the management screen.  I couldn't read most of the text in there at all.

It's a diamond in the rough for sure, but I see a lot of potential.

steve58

Found a video on the Steam forums that you can actually understand...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

undercovergeek


mikeck

Looks cool. Glad this guy found his titanium. If he mentioned that he needed titanium for his sword one more time, I was going to put my fist through the screen. Maybe I'm just angry
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek

watching more of the vids - this is seriously right up my street, i did love E Space, and this has heroes, resource dependant advancements - i might have to buy in

bbmike

Sounds like it's pretty far along for an alpha. When the actual release date for this?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

tgb

Limited as the gameplay currently is, I'm really starting to enjoy it.  I only have about 20 turns in playing as the suit-of-armor guys because I'm still feeling my way, but once I unlocked new ways for my army in interact with the  independent villages, things started getting  really interesting.  I also see that research can unlock new combat commands that can be purchased in the marketplace, although I haven't gotten there yet.

Empire management is straight out of Endless Space, although I did miss having a slider to adjust taxes (there aren't any).  I'm having a bit of a hard time coming to grips with the combat system, and I don't know if it's me or it isn't working properly.  For some reason my archers insist on moving into firing range, even after being given the command to hold.  And issuing commands every two rounds instead of every round is counter-intuitive to me, but I can get used to it.

mikeck

It's probably like endless space in that you first start off with very few choices for buildings, ships, etc. As you build things and research, new buildings and new techs become available. When I first started endless space I thought there were only 3 types of buildings available. As I built and researched more came up. By the end if the game there were dozens.

Is this game pretty "feature complete" or are there glaring omissions (like no diplomacy or something!?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on April 25, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
It's probably like endless space in that you first start off with very few choices for buildings, ships, etc. As you build things and research, new buildings and new techs become available. When I first started endless space I thought there were only 3 types of buildings available. As I built and researched more came up. By the end if the game there were dozens.

Is this game pretty "feature complete" or are there glaring omissions (like no diplomacy or something!?

You spent $300 for the Elite Alpha, which is about as feature incomplete as they come.  I'd say at $25, this game is a veritable bargain.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


RedArgo

From the video, looks like a combination of Civ 5 and Fallen Enchantress.  I feel the pull on my wallet already.  :)

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 25, 2014, 08:59:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on April 25, 2014, 08:24:42 PM
It's probably like endless space in that you first start off with very few choices for buildings, ships, etc. As you build things and research, new buildings and new techs become available. When I first started endless space I thought there were only 3 types of buildings available. As I built and researched more came up. By the end if the game there were dozens.

Is this game pretty "feature complete" or are there glaring omissions (like no diplomacy or something!?

You spent $300 for the Elite Alpha, which is about as feature incomplete as they come.  I'd say at $25, this game is a veritable bargain.

Yes. But I am still curious as to the state of this one. Some alpha builds are closer to betas and basically feature complete. Others are missing huge sections of the game. The price is fine, but if I am paying for a partial game, I want to know what's missing and what isn't so I can decide if I want to buy it. For elite, I'm willing to pay that knowing what I will get with the next build. Not sure about this one yet so just asking.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson