Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Silent Disapproval Robot

As you can see from my previous post with the victory screen, I mention in the very last line that I'll be doing that next time. 

Nefaro

#196
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 29, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

I'm still not sure how to control happiness as many of my cities were in a state of constant rebellion yet this didn't really seem to have any noticeable negative impact.  I didn't need to garrison these cities with troops and I never saw an actual revolt.



You increase Happiness by researching & constructing certain buildings. 

Your Happiness rating affects your resource incomes.  When it's low, you get income penalties.  You should be able to see this in a tooltip somewhere (top of the city management screen is the Happiness bar) IIRC.


I like the different factions in this game but it needs more depth.  Like you, I feel as if there isn't much going on but waiting for research and construction to finish a vast majority of the time.  If the economic & construction side of this had made up for the slow pace or lack of action, then that would be fine.  But that's not terribly deep either.   It looks and plays pretty.  The Heroin Chic waif that's kinda sickly and shallow.  Hopefully they add some serious content in a DLC at some point.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 30, 2014, 09:07:15 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on September 29, 2014, 04:41:23 PM

I'm still not sure how to control happiness as many of my cities were in a state of constant rebellion yet this didn't really seem to have any noticeable negative impact.  I didn't need to garrison these cities with troops and I never saw an actual revolt.



You increase Happiness by researching & constructing certain buildings. 

Your Happiness rating affects your resource incomes.  When it's low, you get income penalties.  You should be able to see this in a tooltip somewhere (top of the city management screen is the Happiness bar) IIRC.


I like the different factions in this game but it needs more depth.  Like you, I feel as if there isn't much going on but waiting for research and construction to finish a vast majority of the time.  If the economic & construction side of this had made up for the slow pace or lack of action, then that would be fine.  But that's not terribly deep either.   It looks and plays pretty.  The Heroin Chic waif that's kinda sickly and shallow.  Hopefully they add some serious content in a DLC at some point.

Place the mouse cursor over the Happiness level to see what negative effects you are suffering.... normally if you are expanding too quickly you will suffer huge penalties.  Also, make sure in the food area you are not in the negative and if so, place a worker there until it rights itself..... this can happen in the winter as you get negative effects.



PE

tgb

Happiness can also be increased by activating luxury resources, as well as certain Empire plans.

PanzersEast

I'm near the end of my first game and I am a little in between on this game.  I think it is a vast improvement over Endless Space, however I just not sure as a long term play that I will continue to come back and play.  The UI, art and music, battle map and strategic map,  are all great..... however the limited number of units and so/so content seem like a lack of long term interest.  I still like I would play Fallen Enchantress or AOW 3 over Endless Legend.  With most 4X games the middle near the end becomes a mop-up.  The AI is just Ok, but seems a little on the weak side.


PE

Nefaro

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 30, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
I'm near the end of my first game and I am a little in between on this game.  I think it is a vast improvement over Endless Space, however I just not sure as a long term play that I will continue to come back and play.  The UI, art and music, battle map and strategic map,  are all great..... however the limited number of units and so/so content seem like a lack of long term interest.  I still like I would play Fallen Enchantress or AOW 3 over Endless Legend.  With most 4X games the middle near the end becomes a mop-up.  The AI is just Ok, but seems a little on the weak side.


PE

I'm curious.. in what way do you think it's a "vast improvement" over  Endless Space? 

It's pretty much the same stuff, except having less depth regarding content, and being a little prettier.  Seemed like ES had more of that.   ???

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 30, 2014, 03:21:57 PM
I'm curious.. in what way do you think it's a "vast improvement" over  Endless Space? 

It's pretty much the same stuff, except having less depth regarding content, and being a little prettier.  Seemed like ES had more of that.   ???


I think moved forward with the way they handled the research and eras and the battle map.  The customization is just 'ok', but the map and the way the game deals with minor races etc.... I think is a step forward.  I do not however feel the game is on par with Fallen Enchantress or AOW3 and do not see myself playing EL very often... maybe every once in a while which is more than ES which I doubt I will ever re-install.  The middle to late game is better in EL as there is not the spamming that ES did.



PE

Nefaro

#202
After the initial new game smell wore off, I admittedly went back to playing AOW3 with it's new DLC fairly quickly.  EL could be a great game if they spent the time & resources to fill it out quite a bit more.  I doubt it will ever quite get there unless they spend a lot of time doing DLC.

Like others, I think FE:LH has the widest range of goodies to enjoy but the graphic style makes me wrinkle my nose every time and the pre-made races and lore are *ZzzzzZ*.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on October 01, 2014, 07:00:00 AM
After the initial new game smell wore off, I admittedly went back to playing AOW3 with it's new DLC fairly quickly.  EL could be a great game if they spent the time & resources to fill it out quite a bit more.  I doubt it will ever quite get there unless they spend a lot of time doing DLC.

Like others, I think FE:LH has the widest range of goodies to enjoy but the graphic style makes me wrinkle my nose every time and the pre-made races and lore are *ZzzzzZ*.

After one play through and a brief of another I can say this game is good for one or maybe 2 play throughs.....  Unfortunately the second game felt just like the first.... so a couple observations after some gameplay...


- Not enough variety in the game, my second game felt just like the first
- AI seems very week and passive
- I actually like the Research tree and method
- Unit customization is very limited/basic compared to other games
- The Map and UI are very well done, graphics overall are very well done
- The game still feels like a spreadsheet as did ES, however the lore is pretty well done
- The Winter effects are a nice touch

Overall, this game just does not have enough content to keep you coming back after a play through.  I would suggest to wait until more content is added and maybe some AI tweaks before picking it up.  Right now, Fallen Enchantress and AOW3 are superior to this title in most respects although EL does introduce some pretty cool features, but not enough to overtake the competition yet.


PE

steve58

Second free add-on coming next week...

Quote
Hey everyone,

Next week, Endless Legend will deliver its second free add-on: Visions of the Unseen


We know you probably have plenty of questions regarding the exact content and release date, but we'll have to ask you to be patient. :) As we get closer to the release, we'll share with you more information on what the update will include so make sure you follow the Dev Blog[forums.amplitude-studios.com].

But that's not it... Endless Space will also receive its long-awaited update (yay!); but once again, you'll have more info tomorrow and in the upcoming days so come check out the blog tomorrow!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/289130
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: steve58 on November 19, 2014, 01:47:34 PM
Second free add-on coming next week...



Yeah.  I very nearly started a new campaign last night but read that an update with new stuff would be out very soon. 

They have also been working on improving the AI and making it more aggressive, although I don't think they're finished with all that yet.

I'm curious as to what extras are being added.  Like with AOW3 on release, I feel like EL is a good core game but it needs more content to make it feel whole.  DLC in the future?

Nefaro

Endless Legend and Endless Space received patches with new content today.  O0

Bison


Barthheart

Is Endless Legend worth getting yet? It's part of the Steam sale.......

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'd say go with Age of Wonders III or Fallen Enchantress instead. They're both still on my HD whereas Endless Legend got the boot after my 3rd campaign play though.  I just didn't find it offered up enough to do and the AI was far too passive.