Endless Space? Nope, it's Endless Legend!

Started by Martok, August 22, 2013, 06:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Ok.

Is AoW III much different than AoWII or I. I played I a lot but when I try to go back I don't seem to get the same enjoyment out of it... and it's not the graphics.

Never played Fallen Enchantress.......

Silent Disapproval Robot

I've only played AOW III myself so I've no idea how it compares to previous titles in the series.  I do really like AOW III though. 

Gusington

I also never played AoWI or II but I really like III as well. It's like Warlock on steroids.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

I really like Endless Legend.  The UI is a thing of beauty.

Martok

#214
It's been so long since I played the original AoW, that I couldn't make an honest comparison at this point.  All I can tell you is that while I've enjoyed both titles, I probably like III even more. 




Quote from: Barthheart on November 26, 2014, 08:08:53 PM
Never played Fallen Enchantress.......
Gasp!  :o  :P 

Well the game isn't for everyone, but personally I love Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes.  I enjoy it even more than AoW3 (which is saying something), and it's generally been my go-to fantasy-strategy game for the last year now. 

If you're looking for more of a Civ-style empire-builder with fantasy elements, then FE:LH is definitely one to check out.  Of course, it's not nearly as "pretty" as AoW3, and the battle system isn't as snazzy, so there's that to keep in mind.  On the flip side, if you find AoW3 to be a little too shallow and/or war/combat-focused, then FE:LH could be the antidote to that. 


Personally, I enjoy both titles.  They each have their strengths & weaknesses, and each scratches a slightly different itch for me in the fantasy-strategy-gaming department.  It all depends on what I'm in the mood for. 

I'm currently playing FE:LH, both due to the new update and having picked up a bunch of DLC that's on sale at Steam right now.  I know I'll swing back around to Age of Wonders 3 eventually, though. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

#215
FE:LH is my least played of the three. 

It certainly has the content and customization options, but the blah anime-inspired artwork and even more blah background & factions just don't keep me coming back as much.  I normally don't complain about such things, but they're exceedingly dull and generic in FE.  I'd imagine Starfury's head would explode if he was exposed to it for long.  Yet it still has heaps of faction & unit customization so it' still installed on my HDD.

AOW3 is great.  At first I was lukewarm but it kinda grew on me, like a fungus.  Notably so after picking up the first expansion DLC.  It's a nice fit with turn-based battles that require some tactics and a fair amount of expansion and building on the campaign map.  It still needs moar stuff added IMO but there is plenty there right now to get the full experience for a time.

EL also needs more content.  And the AI needs to be adjusted on the regular difficulty.  The developers are actually doing the latter, and have even been asking for suggestions regarding AI behavior players would like to see, on their forum.  It's ongoing but I think the patch from a couple days ago may have put some initial changes in.  I've see some people say they got a challenge out of the AI later in their games so it may not need anything too drastic.  My big concern is the limit of troop types and monsters/opponents to be had.  But it's easy to get into, or back into, and feels different than your run-of-the-mill fantasy strategy game.  So for a lighter 4X, it is enjoyable for a time and will be more so when they release some additional DLC and such.

Martok

By the by, RPS has not only named Endless Legend the best 4x title of 2014, but the best overall game of the year (for the PC) as well.  The game may not appeal to me much personally, but I have to admit that's a pretty remarkable achievement.   

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Quote from: Martok on January 02, 2015, 12:43:50 PM
By the by, RPS has not only named Endless Legend the best 4x title of 2014, but the best overall game of the year (for the PC) as well.  The game may not appeal to me much personally, but I have to admit that's a pretty remarkable achievement.   

I'd actually agree with them on the 4X GotY and it's certainly up there with overall GotY.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Hmmm... I don't recall any overt messages condemning white privilege or decrying the patriarchal military industrial complex within the game.  The dev team must have a disabled transgendered person of colour on staff in order to garner accolades from RPS.

PanzersEast

#219
Working though my games and after playing through a recent game I think I will put this one away, the AI is suspect and after a while I continually just sim battles and after a while it just is, ok.  The higher difficulty just tend to suffer what Endless Space did with spam expand.  Overall a pretty decent game, however I feel Fallen Enchantress and AOW 3 are superior.  No doubt the graphics are nice and UI is pretty good.  Overall though I feel there is just not enough there for the long term so I will be retiring this one from my HD.


PE

Gusington

I enjoyed it for a time too, but liked AoWIII more.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Nefaro

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 24, 2015, 10:14:15 PM
was it the AI?



I'd say it was just the lack of depth.

The setting, art, interface, etc were all great but the game just didn't have a lot of content variety once you got stuck in.  The polar opposite of FE:LH, where the setting and art is just uninspiring & dull but there is a lot of stuff to build and tweak.

PanzersEast

#223
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on March 24, 2015, 10:14:15 PM
was it the AI?



The AI is an issue, especially that is primarily uses the same tactic.  Harder settings just result in an increases in expansion and unit spam.... really just not fun.

As Nef said, the variety is just not there.  The ideas are great, however just lacking in execution.  The battles are really just boring and after a while you end up just auto-resolving them.  The art and ui and music are great.... the back story is not bad, just really lacks in substance and sustainability.  And yet again, the AI just is lacking in a major way.


PE 

Gusington

I have to agree. If we were on the phone talking about it I would clear my throat, pause dramatically and say 'and the AI too'.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd