Main Menu

XCom expansion incoming!

Started by Arctic Blast, August 22, 2013, 07:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 16, 2013, 01:12:44 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 16, 2013, 12:29:37 PM
Dumb question.....with this expansion, do you play a whole new campaign or do you play the original campaign with just the enhancements?  How are people enjoying so far?

original campaign with enhancements.  Its great. A must have add-on in my opinion.

Excellent...likely will pick up this weekend....thanks!

PanzersEast

Just about through my first play though and will go back and play again.... next time Classic/Ironman.


PE

Ian C

Playing through again on 'Iron Man' with many of the advanced/extra options selected. Great game. Possibly one of the best tacticals I've ever played.

JasonPratt

...I just can't quite build up enough enthusiasm to rebuy my original game at full price (again) for these extras. :(

Doesn't help that I bought XCOM on the PS3, because my new computer wasn't ready yet last year: EW will surely get a decent sale next year on the PC, but for the PS3 30% is about the best one can hope for (and that's rare).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Greybriar

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 22, 2013, 01:57:08 PM
...I just can't quite build up enough enthusiasm to rebuy my original game at full price (again)....

Amazon.com is offering a Firaxis Complete Packfor $19.99 that includes

  • Civilization V: Gold Edition
    Civilization IV: The Complete Edition
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Amazon.com is also offering an XCOM Collection for $9.99 that includes

  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot Pack
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Elite Soldier Pack
    X-COM: Apocalypse
    X-COM: Enforcer
    X-COM: Terror from the Deep
    X-COM: UFO Defense

Either one would be a good buy if someone didn't already own most of the games in one of the compilations.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

PanzersEast

Finished X-Com: Enemy Within over the weekend and just a couple of observations...

I do not feel like it is worth the $29.99 price tag and the add-on feels like it should have been apart of the game originally.  I paid $18.00 for it and feel like I got my money's worth out of it.  The core of the game is still the same... I mean as it applies to the ending.

Genetic alteration and Mec creation is very fun in the game... and the added customization.  The inclusion of having to secure the Meld adds a new tactical decision to the maps, and the new maps are nicely done.

Medals were a good addition, however like I said before it feels like it should have been in there to begin with.  Overall I enjoyed it much more than EU, however be aware that much of the game is the same as before, but you have more options and customization and a new group to deal with that will steal money and sabotage your research until you find their base.  Exault uses a lot of the same equipment you do, however they seemed a little underpowered to me.... much more of a nuisance than a threat.  I recommend the expansion, however at a discounted price.


PE

skeptical.platypus

The Exalt missions are the high point of the new content, in my opinion.

The self-healing gene alteration is a nice stopgap before you get some serious armor, although it does minimize the importance of the support class. I haven't found the mechs as useful as the gene alts so far.

I am a huge fan of squad-based tactical combat, largely because of the original xcom, and I think the current iteration sets a new bar. (I'll still give original xcom the edge for overall experience, primarily because of the base attacks)

I agree that $30.00 is a bit much to ask for the changes. If it makes anyone feel any better, I dropped $50 on X:Com declassified because somehow I missed out on the FPS focus. So I have seriously overpaid for my xcom fix, lol.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Nefaro

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 04, 2013, 12:35:59 AM
I am a huge fan of squad-based tactical combat, largely because of the original xcom, and I think the current iteration sets a new bar.


Have you picked up Xenonauts yet??   :)

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on December 04, 2013, 05:13:50 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 04, 2013, 12:35:59 AM
I am a huge fan of squad-based tactical combat, largely because of the original xcom, and I think the current iteration sets a new bar.


Have you picked up Xenonauts yet??   :)

I have it and prefer it over X-Com..... the current incarnation anyway.  I don't want to sound like I did not like Enemy Within because I did, however it felt like it should have been there to begin with and the End Game has not changed which is a little disappointing.  But, overall I enjoyed it and will play it again at some point.

PE

skeptical.platypus

#25
Quote from: Nefaro on December 04, 2013, 05:13:50 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 04, 2013, 12:35:59 AM
I am a huge fan of squad-based tactical combat, largely because of the original xcom, and I think the current iteration sets a new bar.


Have you picked up Xenonauts yet??   :)

I'll check it out. If it is the latest iteration of the UFO: Extraterrestrials line, it will need more. While I love original xcom, I probably love the memory of it a bit more than the actual game. UFO: Ex established for me that I didn't want just MOTS. Current Xcom established that I want ALOTSBSDST (a lot of the same but some different stuff too).

Now if xenonauts have base attacks, and those speedy exploding gasbag runners. . .


Edited to add: downloading the xenonauts demo tonight. Thanks!
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

JasonPratt

XN is definitely not an attempt at continuing the (pseudo-)UFO line of X-Com/UFO remakes. (I say 'pseudo' because in Britain X-Com was known as UFO: Enemy Unknown. My first copy of the game, in college, came from there somehow, though I don't know how. If I had it today I'd have a collector's item.)

I think I recall assaults on the player's base(s) being part of the design, though only recently implemented. (It's still in beta after all.) I haven't played nearly far enough to get there.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

eyebiter

.
#27
.

Rayfer

Quote from: eyebiter on December 06, 2013, 08:14:18 AM
Just installed Enemy Within, noticed a major jump in difficulty level.  Playing on classic level now average one rookie KIA per mission.  First time ran into thin men lost the entire squad.  With much longer research times, going to have to play conservative for the first few months.  Hiding in full cover isn't enough, have to hunker down.  Often end up using grenades instead of guns.

Drats....now I'm not sure about this one.  To us tactically-challenged gamers, hearing that difficulty has been ramped up is not a good thing.

JasonPratt

Well, that's in classic mode of course. But yeah, obviously the expansion is meant to make things both harder and more interesting with more options for everyone, both the XCOM and enemies.

The mere fact that your own base might be invaded (and I'm guessing it's still only one base, so there isn't a fallback possibility) instantly makes the game that much harder by itself!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!